fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

Lee - an adult beginner

More
08 May 2012 02:23 #3538 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Lee - an adult beginner
Great to see you, lzp!

lzp11 wrote: I know it is a long time since I've posted an update - although I have SM in my thoughts A LOT!

Life is very hectic and very tiring at the moment. I think I'm close to a wall of overload as I've returned to work (3 days a week - but they are long days) and just working out how to juggle all of the activities that are important to me and my little ones.

I'm still playing piano as much as I can but I don't really have enough for me the make the kind of progress that I'd like. I guess I play maybe 3 times a week for 20-30 mins.

It is not bad at all!

I'd love to play every day but there are some days when I get in from a 12 hour day at work and after having sorted out dinner and everything else that I'm too tired to even see the screen never mind concentrate on playing.

I guess, my next invention will be a piano with a cooking stove :lol:

At this point the only thing I can cope with is junk TV! If I am aiming for 10,000 hours to achieve excellence then at this rate it will only take me around 96 years to finally get there!!!!! :lol:

I'm still playing Sonatina 1 - Clementi. I am making slow but steady progress and played P6 328/333 today (time was 133 - as a comparison I can play left and right hands with few mistakes in a time of between 83 and 90.

The score is pretty good for this piece!

I find it easier with the timing to play on 6 presentations as it is clearer to see where the rests are with the left hand. But this does mean I cannot compare my time against the perfect computer score. So, I plan to measure against a set tempo using a metronome as I did with March (not there yet!). I am now starting to memorize the piece in stages.

You are on the right track! Do you have any problems with choosing the right fingers?

With sight reading, I have nearly finished Favourite classics 1. I am torn with sight reading, since if I play it all slowly on 6 presentation then I can score quite accurately but I struggle with speeding it up, it is often a timing issue as much as anything. So with some pieces I do play repeatedly to try to improve - I realise this is an element of memorization but it seems to be the only way to get over certain mistakes.

I bet, it is the pieces with sharps and flats? ;) If so, choose the 4th presentation: you will get to use them with less stress,

I hope this is OK. So I will follow Hellene's suggestion for moving through the sight reading pieces - after favourite classics 1 I think it is time to move onto Boogie 2.

Well, I am looking forward to hearing you playing!

Back to the Mozart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2012 08:46 #3546 by Mandabplus3
Replied by Mandabplus3 on topic Lee - an adult beginner
Andrea, finger excersizes definately help! Espesially if your left hand doesn't do as it's told like mine :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene, andreasro

More
12 May 2012 18:02 #3790 by lzp11
Replied by lzp11 on topic Lee - an adult beginner
Well, it's time for another update. And I think after this I'll start a new thread as I realise that this one has been going for 5 months! Amazing the time seems to have flown by!!

I'm playing as often as I can. It's not as much as I'd like but I guess the progress is there as I steadily learn one piece of music at a time. I certainly really enjoy the playing, and hopefully I'll start finding it easier to learn pieces, so maybe it won't take quite so long.

Anyway, I am feeling very proud of myself today. I sat down and recorded ALL the pieces that I needed to for the May recital B)
I had thought it would take a long time as I was using the video setting on my camera and it was taking ages to set up and upload the recordings. Then I had a brainwave about using our webcam - wow it was so easy I cannot believe I didn't use it before. And I managed to record all of the exercises and pieces in one sitting - wooohooo ! B) B)

They are none of them 100% as smooth as I would like (being a perfectionist!) but I hope they are OK.

I have now memorized Sonatina No. 1 by Clementi and can play at around 100bpm or a little faster without the metronome. I think I've got almost as far as I can with this piece for now. I really enjoyed learning this. It was a challenge but not so hard that I felt I could not do it. And not quite as long as "March" so a little easier to memorize.

Hellene - please could i have your help. I've recorded Sonatina 1 as one of my own extra pieces for the recital. When you take a look, please tell me if I need to polish any more. Also, I need to choose another piece, probably about a similar level of difficulty. I like the Clementi pieces and will go back to Sonatina 2 and 3 but as they are quite similar to #1, I'd like to do something different next, and then go back to Clementi for the following piece. Do you have any suggestions?

Andrea - I do find the finger exercises really useful. I often play them as a warm up for my fingers. Plus just playing! I have had a couple of really challenging pieces that have taken me ages to learn, but there is a huge sense of achievement after you learn them, looking back when I could hardly play with one hand, it is amazing to have memorized and be able to play with two hands together!

DD (aged 3) is still not interested in playing herself, either gentle piano or games. But she is very exposed to music. She plays her toy piano, the xylophone, sings, and we watch little musician from Brillkids, plus the powerpoint slides, so hopefully she is still gaining a musical education that will really help once she's ready to start playing.

DS (9 months) is such a different character to his big sis. He likes sitting and exploring things with his hands - I think he will have great fine motor skills. He LOVES the piano. I sit with him at the computer and given half a chance he'll twist around and reach out for the piano keys. We watch Do to Do presentation daily plus little musician. He is really interested in the different notes and seems quite purposeful in which ones he goes for on the keyboard. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part?! But we certainly do sit and 'play' piano together most days. He plays a note or two and I will sing it in solfege and / or echo it in a different octave. He seems to really enjoy this game and will often try to do the same himself. He had a fascination with Sol a few days about and today was interested in Fa sharp . Maybe he's going to be my little pianist :)

More
12 May 2012 23:48 #3792 by Mandabplus3
Oh WOW! you are so organised :) I am very pleased to hear it didnt take too long to record all your pieces. I was thinking of giving the kids a day off school just to get throught them all :lol: perhaps I dont have too now. We will see how it goes. Its a lot of recording with 4 people playing. Although Natalya still hasnt committed to doing it :whistle: She will be super jealous when we all get our cool Tshirts and she doesnt, especially since its in her favourite colour ;)
Your progress is very inspiring to me. I am very much looking forward to viewing all your recordings .

More
13 May 2012 20:29 #3799 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Lee - an adult beginner

lzp11 wrote: I certainly really enjoy the playing, and hopefully I'll start finding it easier to learn pieces, so maybe it won't take quite so long.

If I would have a chance to see your playing more often, I would be able to suggest the pieces for you that would be more suitable for your most effective development.

Anyway, I am feeling very proud of myself today. I sat down and recorded ALL the pieces that I needed to for the May recital B)
I had thought it would take a long time as I was using the video setting on my camera and it was taking ages to set up and upload the recordings. Then I had a brainwave about using our webcam - wow it was so easy I cannot believe I didn't use it before. And I managed to record all of the exercises and pieces in one sitting - wooohooo ! B) B)

Thank you for sharing this idea! I think, it would be very helpful for other participants to know!

They are none of them 100% as smooth as I would like (being a perfectionist!) but I hope they are OK.

The goal of learning is to learn to enjoy music making - not to prove that you are better then Van Cliburn ;)

I have now memorized Sonatina No. 1 by Clementi and can play at around 100bpm or a little faster without the metronome. I think I've got almost as far as I can with this piece for now. I really enjoyed learning this. It was a challenge but not so hard that I felt I could not do it. And not quite as long as "March" so a little easier to memorize.

Hellene - please could i have your help. I've recorded Sonatina 1 as one of my own extra pieces for the recital. When you take a look, please tell me if I need to polish any more.

Please, let me see the playing!

Also, I need to choose another piece, probably about a similar level of difficulty. I like the Clementi pieces and will go back to Sonatina 2 and 3 but as they are quite similar to #1, I'd like to do something different next, and then go back to Clementi for the following piece. Do you have any suggestions?

I wish I can see your hands before to make a suggestion. The new piece have to be 'delicious and NUTRITIOUS' precisely for YOUR personal development.

Andrea - I do find the finger exercises really useful. I often play them as a warm up for my fingers. Plus just playing! I have had a couple of really challenging pieces that have taken me ages to learn, but there is a huge sense of achievement after you learn them, looking back when I could hardly play with one hand, it is amazing to have memorized and be able to play with two hands together!

Are you using metronome to play exercises sometimes?

DD (aged 3) is still not interested in playing herself, either gentle piano or games. But she is very exposed to music. She plays her toy piano, the xylophone, sings, and we watch little musician from Brillkids, plus the powerpoint slides, so hopefully she is still gaining a musical education that will really help once she's ready to start playing.

She does!

DS (9 months) is such a different character to his big sis. He likes sitting and exploring things with his hands - I think he will have great fine motor skills. He LOVES the piano. I sit with him at the computer and given half a chance he'll twist around and reach out for the piano keys. We watch Do to Do presentation daily plus little musician. He is really interested in the different notes and seems quite purposeful in which ones he goes for on the keyboard. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part?! But we certainly do sit and 'play' piano together most days. He plays a note or two and I will sing it in solfege and / or echo it in a different octave. He seems to really enjoy this game and will often try to do the same himself. He had a fascination with Sol a few days about and today was interested in Fa sharp . Maybe he's going to be my little pianist :)

Is he going to participate in the recital? ;)

Back to the Mozart

More
14 May 2012 08:23 #3807 by Mandabplus3
Oh yes Lee, get the video back out I want to see your baby in the recital! Watching solfege on LR, banging out a rock version of hot cross buns and doing hanon! Yes do it!

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds