fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

Lee - an adult beginner

More
13 Feb 2012 14:01 #1932 by lzp11
Replied by lzp11 on topic Lee - an adult beginner

hellene wrote:

lzp11 wrote:
Lee, the tempo set is better then ideal! :lol: We won't have to be that way! ;) Any reasonable tempo will do.

You see, there is no limit of perfectness, but if we are just students with the ultimate goal to get through as many music texts as possible and enjoy it as much as we can, at some point we sould put some lid on our efforts.

I don't believe that your dream is to swap your doctor's job to concert pianist any time soon! :lol: So, don't worry about 150. Let's make it 100, or 90 :woohoo:

Lol - you are absolutely right Hellene - I don't think I'll be giving up the day job just yet :lol: :lol:

This is very good news and very sensible - otherwise I will be playing this same piece for the next 10 years!

I am getting just a tad irritable with myself though, because as I speed up and add metronome I find that I'm now starting to make small timing errors when playing, so I'll look up to find that the game has stopped many bars before where I have got to. I can hardly tell what I'm doing wrong - it's probably lifting a finger too early or holding one down for too long - it is very difficult to hear any difference when playing!

I saw your post about the order of practice and I could now play without the computer (with and without metronome) - do you think this is the best next step or should I be still trying trying to play with the computer?

The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2012 15:20 - 13 Feb 2012 15:22 #1935 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Lee - an adult beginner

lzp11 wrote:

hellene wrote:

lzp11 wrote:
Lee, the tempo set is better then ideal! :lol: We won't have to be that way! ;) Any reasonable tempo will do.

You see, there is no limit of perfectness, but if we are just students with the ultimate goal to get through as many music texts as possible and enjoy it as much as we can, at some point we sould put some lid on our efforts.

I don't believe that your dream is to swap your doctor's job to concert pianist any time soon! :lol: So, don't worry about 150. Let's make it 100, or 90 :woohoo:

Lol - you are absolutely right Hellene - I don't think I'll be giving up the day job just yet :lol: :lol:

This is very good news and very sensible - otherwise I will be playing this same piece for the next 10 years!

Well, with 'traditional' method everything has to be just perfect, regardless... Many teachers afraid to display their students and embarrassed to play themselves being extremely aggressive towards imperfection. The rout of this behavior is the past, when we didn't have recording technology and we had only live music. Playing perfect was motto, because musician had to be always prepared to recite for others.
Today we have different goal. If we want to hear master, we listen to them using different devices. We are making music for our own pleasure mostly. Our goal is to develop reading skills and go through a many pieces as possible. Of cause we can perfect some pieces that we like the most, but it is our own choice.

I am getting just a tad irritable with myself though, because as I speed up and add metronome I find that I'm now starting to make small timing errors when playing, so I'll look up to find that the game has stopped many bars before where I have got to. I can hardly tell what I'm doing wrong - it's probably lifting a finger too early or holding one down for too long - it is very difficult to hear any difference when playing!

Play by heart! It is perfectly OK now.

I saw your post about the order of practice and I could now play without the computer (with and without metronome) - do you think this is the best next step or should I be still trying trying to play with the computer?

No, play by heart, record yourself on video and let's put icing on the cake - I will help you to polish the piece.

Back to the Mozart
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 15:22 by hellene.

More
27 Feb 2012 18:48 #2208 by lzp11
I have been very quiet on the site lately - mainly because I start back to work this Thursday and so I've been busy studying and preparing :ohmy:
I'm also in mourning for the loss of time with them, which I have enjoyed so much :(

So, it is definitely a stressful transition back from maternity leave although I do work part time (3 days a week) but this will certainly put a lot of additional pressure on my time and I hope it will not get in the way of too much of the early learning work that I've been doing with my kids.

I have still been playing the piano as much as possible (but not as much as before). Here is my latest version of March - Nutcracker suite. It's a tempo of around 100 played by memory (no computer). It's certainly not my best ever attempt - I find the process of recording quite stressful and I even get shaky hands! But it would take forever otherwise so here it is:

I've also been playing the Boogie 1 album and have got through all the songs. I practiced for sight reading but also continued to polish most a bit more than this so I could play at a reasonable speed with few errors.

I would like to polish 'March' but I think I would like to start working on a new piece to practice my technique. Possibly a little less challenging but still stretching me a bit - Hellene - do you have some suggestions please?

Also, what would be the next steps for sight reading practice (i have sight read the nursery rhymes primer, classics primer and boogie 1)?

Thanks!
Lee

More
28 Feb 2012 18:12 #2225 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Lee - an adult beginner

lzp11 wrote: I have been very quiet on the site lately - mainly because I start back to work this Thursday and so I've been busy studying and preparing :ohmy:

Lee, it is funny to read, 'cause I remember the 'snail mail' times, when you have to wait sometimes months to get responce from people... Now Internet make everything instant. It is great! Well, I miss your posts - this for sure.

I'm also in mourning for the loss of time with them, which I have enjoyed so much :(

So, it is definitely a stressful transition back from maternity leave although I do work part time (3 days a week) but this will certainly put a lot of additional pressure on my time and I hope it will not get in the way of too much of the early learning work that I've been doing with my kids.

It is going to pass... You'll get used for being a doctor and safe lives again ;)

I have still been playing the piano as much as possible (but not as much as before). Here is my latest version of March - Nutcracker suite. It's a tempo of around 100 played by memory (no computer). It's certainly not my best ever attempt - I find the process of recording quite stressful and I even get shaky hands! But it would take forever otherwise so here it is:

Yes, we ALL have it: the stage fright... For some reason, with music it is more stressful for many people than anything. I watched your video. GREAT JOB! I enjoyed it big time!

I've also been playing the Boogie 1 album and have got through all the songs. I practiced for sight reading but also continued to polish most a bit more than this so I could play at a reasonable speed with few errors.

What presentation had you been using?

I would like to polish 'March' but I think I would like to start working on a new piece to practice my technique. Possibly a little less challenging but still stretching me a bit - Hellene - do you have some suggestions please?

Of cause, I do! March is very challenging because it was 'adjusted' for beginners with no regards to technique development. Yes, the best source for you would be Piano Album 1 - 6. In 6th is 'Sonatina' Clementi. Please, try to learn all the parts: it is going to improve your technique big time.

If you'll find anything else, let me know. All pieces in these Albums are genuine and not 'adapted for beginners'.

Also, what would be the next steps for sight reading practice (i have sight read the nursery rhymes primer, classics primer and boogie 1)?

Please, try Favorite Classics 1 on 6th. Let me know, how it goes. ;)

Back to the Mozart

More
29 Feb 2012 02:48 #2228 by Mandabplus3
Replied by Mandabplus3 on topic Lee - an adult beginner
Oh Lee I loved watching your video. You looked quite at home on the piano to me. Funny but if you wee in my house I wouldnt play for you but video doesnt bother me...it just requires a willing helper to hold it for me :unsure:
The improvement from your last video was huge. Well done to you. If that was 100 I reckon 150 may sound a bit like chipmunks????? :lol:
Good luck with the transistion to work.

More
29 Feb 2012 07:12 #2231 by lzp11
Thanks Hellene - I will give those pieces a try. I had a look - they look quite tricky but I'm happy to learn :)

I am doing all sight reading on presentation 6.
I will get started with Favourite classics 1 for my next sight reading album.

@Manda - thanks so much for the comments! It feels like it has taken a LONG time to be able to play through at a consistent speed without any mistakes but I'm proud of myself for sticking with it. I think that 150 probably would sound like chipmunks :lol: 100 was definitely fast enought for me!

It's great that you don't get the stage fright thing with videos! You are obviously used to playing to an audience with your three watching ;) I think the answer is to keep videoing because by doing it often I will get more used to it. But I can now see why I struggled to pass music exams on clarinet yet could play fine at home - it is very difficult to show musical expression when you feel very anxious! Anyway, looking forward to seeing your next videos too :)

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds