fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

Lee - an adult beginner

More
14 Dec 2011 14:18 - 06 Jan 2012 20:51 #482 by lzp11
OK, so I have now managed to sort out my technical issues and today for the first time was able to properly try out the Soft Mozart software - it was great!! :) It is amazing to have so many pieces of music available and to be able to watch myself improve just in this one session!

I started out by following the Hanon 1 exercise for right, left and both hands together. Then I tried Gentle piano.

I have played a very small amount of piano in the past but I am basically a beginner, although I can read music a bit. I found that having the game in the setting 5 was the most helpful for me, although for certain slower pieces, I found I needed to look ahead and found it easer in setting 6.

As Hellene suggested, I started with Favourite classics 3, which I could pick out but with more difficulty. I then tried Favorite classics 2 and then Favourite classics 1.

With favourite classics 1, I was able to play most pieces using both hands after one to three attempts with between 4 and 10 errors. I was not sure how to compare the time delay to the number of notes in the piece - how do we find out the number of notes?

I discovered that I do have some bad habits with timing (e.g. not taking my hand off the bass keys quickly enough) and the game will definitely help with this!

Overall, I really enjoyed this first session and I'm looking forward to the next steps. :cheer: Hellene, please could you help me decide how to tailor the curriculum to suit my learning. Thanks
Last edit: 06 Jan 2012 20:51 by lzp11.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NadiaD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2011 16:30 #488 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Lee - an adult beginner

lzp11 wrote: OK, so I have now managed to sort out my technical issues and today for the first time was able to properly try out the Soft Mozart software - it was great!! :) It is amazing to have so many pieces of music available and to be able to watch myself improve just in this one session!

I started out by following the Hanon 1 exercise for right, left and both hands together. Then I tried Gentle piano.

I have played a very small amount of piano in the past but I am basically a beginner, although I can read music a bit. I found that having the game in the setting 5 was the most helpful for me, although for certain slower pieces, I found I needed to look ahead and found it easer in setting 6.

As Hellene suggested, I started with Favourite classics 3, which I could pick out but with more difficulty. I then tried Favorite classics 2 and then Favourite classics 1.

With favourite classics 1, I was able to play most pieces using both hands after one to three attempts with between 4 and 10 errors. I was not sure how to compare the time delay to the number of notes in the piece - how do we find out the number of notes?

I discovered that I do have some bad habits with timing (e.g. not taking my hand off the bass keys quickly enough) and the game will definitely help with this!

Overall, I really enjoyed this first session and I'm looking forward to the next steps. :cheer: Hellene, please could you help me decide how to tailor the curriculum to suit my learning. Thanks

Now I have better understanding about your level. Thank you for giving me all the details! :)
Your coordination and ear had been established in the past, but in pieces with #s and flats and with some coordination challenges you losing some points and time.
First, the 6th presentation is not using the same time structure: it just generally counts the amount of minutes spent on playing the song. You also can play the piece as fast as you want.
As a piano teacher I would recommend you to do the following:
1. Divide your lessons into 3 parts:
a. Learning a song that is challenging for your coordination. I would recommend you to pick a piece from ‘Nutcracker’ (since it is Christmas) and try ‘March’ or ‘Dance of Reed pipes’. Pick a piece, play it with Right, Left and Both hands and try to make no more then 15, 10, 5, 3 mistakes. If 5th presentation is too challenging, go down to 4 or even 3. You goal here is to develop piano technique.
b. Reading music. Work on entire album ‘Christmas Carols’ and set the goal to play ALL the pieces artistically with no more then 3 mistakes on 6th presentation. This goal is achievable for you
c. Theory. Let’s set the ‘game of the month’ – NOTE ALPHABET. Play it 10 minutes at a time 1-2 times a week
Please, record everything you do!
Here is the instruction of how to provide the recording: softmozart.com/curriculum/practice-tips.html

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: lzp11, NadiaD

More
14 Dec 2011 18:06 #492 by lzp11
Replied by lzp11 on topic Lee - an adult beginner
Thanks Hellene - I look forward to getting started!

I do have one more question - I am used to learning pieces with the fingering marked on the music. How do I know what should be the correct fingering? I am finding that I seem to do something different each time I play the same piece!

More
14 Dec 2011 18:23 #493 by hellene

lzp11 wrote: Thanks Hellene - I look forward to getting started!

I do have one more question - I am used to learning pieces with the fingering marked on the music. How do I know what should be the correct fingering? I am finding that I seem to do something different each time I play the same piece!

It is very good question, lzp11!
The difference between Soft Mozart and all other programs is that students, when they learn piano pieces using our program can SEE the music notes and piano keys and their connection right away. With other approaches they are playing in blind mode and heavily rely on the muscle memory. This is why before they even start playing the piano piece, they are provided with finger numbers.
With our program you may use any fingers (I use to say ‘even your nose’ ;) ) to play a piece. But after getting more familiar with the piece you will naturally will find the most comfortable fingers. In confusing places I will come to rescue, though! :)

Back to the Mozart

More
14 Dec 2011 20:26 #495 by lzp11
Replied by lzp11 on topic Lee - an adult beginner

hellene wrote:
With our program you may use any fingers (I use to say ‘even your nose’ ;) ) to play a piece. But after getting more familiar with the piece you will naturally will find the most comfortable fingers. In confusing places I will come to rescue, though! :)

Thanks! And if I find a piece where I need to use my nose I will definitely post a video! :silly:

More
14 Dec 2011 21:04 #496 by hellene

lzp11 wrote:

hellene wrote:
Thanks! And if I find a piece where I need to use my nose I will definitely post a video! :silly:

I think, it will be a blockbuster! :lol:

Back to the Mozart

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds