fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

2-year old E - SM and an active toddler!

More
09 Jan 2012 21:09 #1026 by lzp11
Today we had another good day. :) I don't think you can underestimate the benefit of having some Daddy enthusiasm at the weekend!

This morning E asked (unprompted) to see the Do Re Mi powerpoint so we watched that twice.

Manda - I used the children from Sparklebox to make a set of Do Re Mi figures and she LOVED them. She loves people with different clothes so this worked a treat and she was happy to play the game of arranging them in order from Do to Do.

We played HCB twice. Once in the morning and then once in the evening. Both scores were R1 6/15 t78(ish) which is lower than past scores but again I'm just happy that she was happy to have a go and reach to the end of the song. I pointed out the flowers today and she seemed keen to beat the score tomorrow.

We also played guess key for one minute, again using the one rubber ball in the bowl per correct note. She likes to put the balls in herself - this means turning away from the screen and keyboard so it does slow down the process a lot but again my focus is on her growing in confidence and interest rather than scoring right now. Having said that, she scored 9 in one minute which is her best score yet :cheer:

Another interesting thing about turning away is that she could not always see the symbol on the fruit falling from the tree right away - but could hear it played on the keyboard. On at least two occasions she knew which note it was BEFORE looking at the screen - i.e. she recognised the note just by hearing it which I got quite excited about as maybe this might be the start of learning perfect pitch??? The notes were only Do Re and Mi so quite simple but for us this is a very big step.

Tomorrow is nursery so that means not much time for piano (although maybe I will get a chance to practice myself, or at least to get started on some more of the powerpoints :lol: )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2012 21:24 #1028 by Mandabplus3
wow wow and WOW!!
She recognised the notes! Already! amazing :) Truely that is the whole point! time to get excited :woohoo: She is doing wonderfully and you are clearly making progress.
When she gets to the point where putting the balls in herself is affecting her score, explain to her that if mummy puts the balls in she will get more points and offer to try it just once. That should speed her up but like you said you have accidentally found another benefit of doing it her way!. I read somewhere of people using this program who black out the screen and play the game by ear only, once they get good at it. That sounds like a challenge! Your princess would probably beat me with no visual support!
Glad she liked the sparklebox people. They are a hit here too. I may even let the kids make their own music family people from collage once the novelty of these ones wears off. Actually thats a great idea! I will let them collage the set for each new scale. DO to DO, Re to RE...

More
11 Jan 2012 18:50 - 11 Jan 2012 20:30 #1072 by lzp11
Our slow and steady progress continues :)

Today E asked to play 'Spider game' (guess key) twice at different times in the day! Her first score was 9 rubber balls for the first go. Because she got quite distracted by the balls today, for our second try, I said she needed to get two coorect notes to put a ball in the bowl. The second time the score was 6 balls (so 12 correct notes). However it is still scoring very low on the game itself (around 3) because of the time taken between playing each note. Also this means we never get beyond Do Re and Mi! Not sure if this is good or bad as it is getting familiar for her so building confidence but we do need to branch out to Fa So and La at some point!

We played HCB again today. She was a little more able to concentrate today with a score of 9/15 - 60. As usual most time was taken with drifting attention and she still likes pressing the same key several times.

She still enjoys using her index finger to press most of the keys going upwards from Do for about two octaves and does this very carefully.

We also played with the Do Re Mi children flashcards and put them in order. And we watched Sonya's little boy watching the Do to Do LR file (which she loved!). Plus I have taped the symbols to a toy piano that she likes to play with.

Not keen on any singing so far with any of the games.

So, I think, slow and steady. I'm pleased that we are still trying many of the activities and I hope that she will continue to do so. We will start on the Re to Re powerpoint later this week.

Hellene - thanks, I look forward to hearing your thoughts! But as Nadia said, there really is no rush, so don't worry about that!! We have many years to learn the piano and I think with my DD it is definitely a game of patience and gentle encouragement. When she's not interested then no reward will work so it's about trying to harness her own inner enthusiasm and interest.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2012 20:30 by lzp11.

More
11 Jan 2012 19:49 #1073 by hellene

lzp11 wrote: OK, so having grown so quickly hugely excited and enthusiastic about soft mozart (SM) I could not wait to start teaching my DD age 2 years and 8 months. However, this is not proving to be a particularly straightforward or easy process :S (Hellene - I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoy a challenge!!!)
Some background about E: She is a very active and energetic girl who is full of joie de vivre and energy. She has great gross motor skills and does well with physical activities and is fairly coordinated for her age (we do swimming, gymnastics and a music / dance class, riding a balance bike etc and she loves them all). She also is quite emotional - full of highs and lows. She is not a particularly patient person (neither am I!) and if she can't do something immediately then tends to get very frustrated and throws it away. This is particularly evident with fine motor skills - she does not particularly enjoy jigsaws or puzzles.

All what you wrote about your DD here is telling me that she will be perfect in music class: coordination, fine motor skills and emotions… Right brain is leading here definitely!)

E does not really like being told how to do something - she likes to make up her own rules. For example, she has just decided two days ago that she would like to effectively potty train herself. Having refused to go anywhere near a potty up until now, she has all of a sudden been dry for 3 days with only one accident!

Strong will is also big + here…

So SM progress to date - we have tried a number of different activities:
Powerpoint / LR flashcards (do to do): she enjoyed these initially but now says "don't want this one" when I pull up on computer. Maybe because she knows it already - so might help when we have some different orders etc.

Switch for actual cards! I am playing some games with kids that they like very much:
1. Put cards in order and ask her to flip a card, when you are covering your eyes (pick a boo) and pretend as if you are guessing what card it could be. Ask her to do the same for you
2. Place the cards from Re to Re, Mi to Mi etc
3. Flip over several cards
4. Ask her to place the cards in order all by herself forward and backwords
5. Ask her to give you one card at a time
It seems like your DD likes different activities and changes. Give it to her!

2. Do to Do A4 flashcard 'hopskotch' - she enjoys jumping from card to card along with the music. Will continue to try this (but not great for my back! :unsure: )

Ask her to jump herself and tell you what notes she is visiting

3. Putting flashcards in order. I have tried to get her to do this with occasional success but not a great deal of enthusiasm. She does not really like flashcards for reading either - prefers to use the laptop. I will try sellotaping the cards to a piece of string so that they form a long snake with some that can be hidden and then turned back over (stops her throwing them!).

Woops, I was giving you previous advice prematurely… With kids like that I through all the cards on the table or floor and ask them to give me ‘Door’ or ‘rain’ in exchange for a sticker or music dollar. After that I call cards ‘Do’ instead of ‘Door’ and do the same. After getting familiar with the names of the cards, I ask them to put just 3 cards together – Do Re Mi and then I increase the amount to 5 and 7. All of this happening very gradually for 1 minute here and there.
In fact, this is the best thing in teaching kids at home: it doesn’t have to be lessonlesson – the skills are getting picked up occasionally. When you know, where you have to be, it is not as hard and no time pressure is involved.

4. I often count whilst brushing teeth and have tried 'counting' with music but she's not keen ("No mummy! Counting properly!") She's currently also not allowing me to count in French or Spanish either! Tomorrow will try this walking up and down the stairs.

Your girl doesn’t like to be chased. I wrote about the reasons for that in my blog: softmozart.com/forum/20-hellene-hiners-b...n-your-toddlers.html
Hope, it helps and release your pain

5. Watching me play gentle piano and games. Today E did allow me to play some of the songs from the introductory album plus 1 minute of guess key. She came over once or twice to bash the keys but didn't want to watch. However, this is an improvement as last few days she has not really wanted me to play at all and tried to find ways to stop me (e.g. putting herself into dangerous situations....!)

What a character! But keep doing this: she will get the message that to play piano is something cool.

6. Playing guess key - well we have had a few attempts at the 'Spider game' but she's not very enthused. The best score we've had is 5 - but mostly she refuses to look at the screen or just bashes with both hands. Last time I tried to reward with stickers and chocolate buttons but even these did not work - she actually refused chocolate!

Start with 30 seconds of the game or even less. If she gets less points in exactly the same time, say something like: hm… you’re lost. How sad! And don’t let her play again until she begs for it. She doesn’t like to lose. I also think that to stop the game or practice on the most exciting and interesting part would work with her.

7. Gentle piano - just trying R hand only but again this is a bit of a struggle. She has played HCB a few times

Wow! Few times??? It IS already a progress…

and our best score was 13/15 t78.

Wait a minute. It is incredible score for a toddler!

This was a few days ago on 2nd January but enthusiasm has waned since then. On the 3rd we did HCB 9/15 86 and this included a longish section playing with her feet :lol:

She’ll get used to it especially if to consider the holiday disctractions.

I have tried the first half of JB to see if she prefers but not really. She seems a bit overwhelmed by all the stimulation and today refused to play anything at all and would not look at the computer either. I tried the offer of "would you like to play the piano or go straight to bed?", she looked me in the eye and said "Straight to bed"!!

I LOVE kids like this. I have same one…

My fear is that I will create a dislike of music and piano if I keep asking her to try and she doesn't want to - or maybe she just needs to keep trying without criticism if things don't go well - I am just not sure what the best thing is to do. For example with teaching her to read, I had to be super-patient and it is only recently that she's giving me any sign that she's picking it up (suddenly is able to learn a number of quite complex words each week). It is a little demoralising but I want to put her happiness and love of music before everything else.

You are absolutely right! Don’t ask her. Create the incitement and wait, when she would come to YOU and ask if she can do it. As I already suggested, always stop the lesson at it’s most interesting part, even if ‘the lesson’ would last for 3 minutes!

So, any advice greatly appreciated as I feel quite stuck. Sorry it is such an essay.

You are having bright, self-motivated, amazing baby, who is smart and sensitive, great program and your own passion for music education. I don’t see anything to worry about and absolutely sure that everything will be just great.

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: NadiaD

More
11 Jan 2012 20:51 #1078 by Mandabplus3
I like the idea of throwing the cards on the floor and having them pick them up in order! My cards are ALWAYS on the floor maybe this way someone might pick them up accaionally :)

More
11 Jan 2012 21:10 #1080 by hellene

Mandabplus3 wrote: I like the idea of throwing the cards on the floor and having them pick them up in order! My cards are ALWAYS on the floor maybe this way someone might pick them up accaionally :)

LOL
Maybe, after cards picking up staff from the floor would become a habit! :P

Back to the Mozart

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds