fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

Titus, 3yo and Juli, adult Progress Diary

More
21 Jun 2013 17:59 #11117 by hellene
It is up to you
I provided all the help needed for beginners - so they won't get lost.
Gradually we will take help away and it won't be so obvious. By watching the entire video and following through you won't spoil your development.

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: andreasro, juliguli

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2013 05:18 #11138 by juliguli
We have been working hard to catch up. I have gone through and done the music dictations 1-6. I then did the test. For the dictations, I felt great up until dictation 6, as it threw me off by not starting with Do, which I did not realize right away. I listened through it, and before the answer was given, did realize at the end that I was hearing Mi not Do, so restarted the video and re-did the dictation.

The test was really difficult. I restarted like 5 times. I kept getting lost. I would be listening to a note, thinking about what I just heard and the next note would play just a bit too fast for me, and since I was still thinking about the previous note, I would not even hear the next one. And then, when I would get lost, I had no markers, even if I had paused, no way of knowing how many notes I had just skipped, or if I were to just rewind a bit where I would be, so I would just restart. I was finally able to make it to the end:-)

Here are the dictations:

And here is the test:

My husband has a lot less time than me, so he has gotten through only the first three dictations, but he is doing great as well. It really surprises him that he is able to do so.

We are having a bit of trouble with TJ (now 21 months) following the curriculum exactly as laid out. He is still in the process of learning the cards, and he just loves to sing them. I am trying to adjust the summer curriculum for him and what he is capable of, so we watch and listen, and sing along. Then, I lay out the cards for him and we sing, and then I give him the cards. At this point, he doesn't try to lay them out. He just plays with them, but he does sometimes want to sing the notes on them, or lays them down (mimicking me) but sings something else. I think he is catching on that there is a melody, and he is combining notes (Do, Re, Do), though not always in the prescribed order. He is really having fun with it an gets so excited when we do anything Soft Mozart.

His favorite is the Note Alphabet school. I move the notes only after he sings them (though I will usually give him clues if he tries it).

I will post videos of him later.
Attachments:

More
08 Jul 2013 08:03 - 12 Jul 2013 21:09 #11416 by juliguli
I promised I would put up videos of TJ and so I have taken some. We started the ear training, and I have tried a couple methods with him. He is interested in reading the cards sometimes, but not yet in putting them out himself, so I have tried putting them out for him and also just going through the cards as the notes are sung on screen (both methods are shown in the video below):

I also have been playing that youtube video made by Marlita to the Do to DO song and TJ just absolutely adores it! Here is him watching it:

In addition, my husband has been trying quite a bit at soft mozart and lately, he has tried a few songs in Gentle Piano, all on presentation 1 and 2, but he is so happy to be making progress. Here is the latest screenshot in Presentation 2 with both hands of jingle bells:

My husband had a question. He has been tkaing each song as recomended, R, L, P, RH, LH, PH, but he was wondering at which point in this process do you start worrying about finger placement (which finger to play each note with), because he says he doens't want to memorize the wrong way while he is working to memorize it and then find he has to change it all?

Oh, and another question. When playing for example the Note Alphabet school, is there a way to ask the notes to slow down? For TJ, it is a game we enjoy playing together. I only move the note once he has sung it (usually with my prompting), but nonethless, they speed up a little too fast and I know where to put them, but I still want to set them on their slowest setting. I don't want to keep doing it wrong on purpose to get them to slow down for him, because then he is seeing them put in the wrong order, but when they get fast, he can't sing them fast enough.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jul 2013 21:09 by juliguli.

More
17 Jul 2013 20:47 #11476 by juliguli
We have been going through the summer curriculum with TJ, and when we first started, he was having trouble paying attention all the way through, let alone placing nay cards.

Now, he asks for more and attentively watches and tries to sing along. I will usually play it thorugh the first time, and we will listen, then sing what we see on screen, then I will lay out cards for him, then we will sing through the cards. Then, I play the video a second time, and we point to each card (during the listen part, we just point. During all other parts, we point and sing). Then, I give him the cards and let him arrange them as he likes. (only the cards for the current lesson).

This made lesson 4 really great for him (it was 4 dos), so it didn't matter which order he decided to put them in, we would sing the same way each time:-)

My husband still has the same question from before: "My husband had a question. He has been taking each song as recommended, R, L, P, RH, LH, PH, but he was wondering at which point in this process do you start worrying about finger placement (which finger to play each note with), because he says he doesn't want to memorize the wrong way while he is working to memorize it and then find he has to change it all?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: andreasro

More
24 Jul 2013 22:13 - 24 Jul 2013 22:14 #11492 by andreasro

juliguli wrote:
My husband still has the same question from before: "My husband had a question. He has been taking each song as recommended, R, L, P, RH, LH, PH, but he was wondering at which point in this process do you start worrying about finger placement (which finger to play each note with), because he says he doesn't want to memorize the wrong way while he is working to memorize it and then find he has to change it all?"

Sorry for the delayed answer. Hellene and Soft Mozart have been busy with different things lately.
You can start learning finger placement when your score in right is perfect or almost 0. I've seen it's better to start this way only after accomplishing this goal, no matter how long or how fast you get there, because your fingers get used to getting coordinated.
You can slow down the playback of teaching videos in your video streamer to see the finger placement better.

Yes, I agree that if you are learning in a wrong way sometimes it does take a while to delete the old "programming" and "write" the new one. That's why when you feel you got familiar with the song, start learning to practice on the technique.

Hope this helps!

Andrea
Last edit: 24 Jul 2013 22:14 by andreasro.
The following user(s) said Thank You: juliguli

More
25 Nov 2014 22:49 #16674 by juliguli
Well, it has been a while since I have uploaded videos, but Titus and I have been through quite a bit in the last few months. My husband suddenly passed away and we have been dealing with that for a while.

We are back to our piano lessons, though. Here is the piece I am currently working on and would love some feedback on what to focus on and how to make it better.

Titus is also working on his songs and various exercises. I will upload some videos later of him
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene, the Moon, ZNatalia

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds