fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Learning experience

I Have An Announcement!

More
03 Feb 2012 20:43 #1697 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic I Have An Announcement!

Mrs.Post wrote: Thank you all for the encouragement. i am going to attempt the video this weekend when there are no distractions from daycare kids. My husband has landed himself in the hospital and is not home yet. No worries, he is ok, just putting a damper on all our lives. We are hoping he comes home tomorrow.

Oh, boy... Tell him to get well soon. :)

Helene, my son is beyond proud of himself. He played again this morning and scored 11 with a time of 47.

Tell him that he made me very proud and happy!

Bennie, who is 4 played both hands with a score of 26 with a time of 77. Cayla, our little Down Syndrome girl, scored 10 with a time of 53. She really would rather play the toy keyboard. She likes to play lots of notes and wiggle.

Just one little step at a time and then boooom! they are already 'prodigies' (this is how TV journalists like to label our students :P )

Well, I am off to reformat my computer on top of all this. The last microsoft update has cause too many issues that I can't fix.

BTW - I love this forum, the ideas are great. Hellene, thank you for such a great product that makes this so easy for a musically illiterate mother.

You are welcome! I LOVE this forum too! Previous one was our pain in the neck. This one is giving us some problems, but not as much. I wish to graduate one more school - programming one to be able to take full control of everything and... clone myself on top of this :P

And, I love the guess key game. I'm getting pretty good at it.

A friend of mine who first time tried the program in St Peterburg (Russia) in front of TV and bunch of piano teachers recently confessed: he developed perfect pitch through the years and can say now the pitch of tea spoon drop :lol:

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: NadiaD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2012 04:10 #1705 by NadiaD
Replied by NadiaD on topic I Have An Announcement!
Congratulations, Sonya!

It is so exciting to read something like that!

Great Job!

More
15 Feb 2012 03:33 #2007 by Mrs.Post
Replied by Mrs.Post on topic I Have An Announcement!
Well, we are back again. I think I noted before that my husband had surgery. He's not recovered as well as we'd hoped. But he returned to work today and for that I'm grateful. Ahhh, huge sigh of relief.

I've attempted to video my naughty little boy several times. Well, it has not gone so well. He not only refuses for me, but he is very disruptive when I try to video the other kids. My little Down Syndrome girl is doing beautifully at just 3 years old. That I find more impressive than what my little guys is doing. We've been working with her for 5 months, she's been walking for only 9 months. She had no stimulation until she came to me. She is a snuggler of the highest order and that is what grandma did with her.

She played hot cross buns with no help, right hand, a score of 13 with a time of 33. She is not consistent with it yet as much depends on her energy level. We just started using the left hand. She doesn't do much with the games yet, I think it is an issue of understand what she is supposed to do.

I am going to try again tomorrow to get my little turkey on camera. I am not hopeful. Then I must ask other mothers what you have done with your children. My oldest (now 16) was very naughty. If you told him not to touch he would lick his finger and then touch whatever I forbade. That was very easy to deal with. But Philip, ohhh. He just started throwing himself on the floor and wailing. He spends a good portion of his day in time out. The rule has been that if you want to play the real piano, you must play nice. If you want to bang we have a small play keyboard for that. He has learned not to bang, but he won't follow Gentle Piano anymore either. Not unless he's in the exact right mood. But he is begging to use the piano all the time. When he finally does use the program and completes a lesson he will say "YES!"

I am going to upload some of the other kid's video's but I don't want them to be public. I'm not sure how to do this, but you can hear him in the background making as much noise as he can. He will stop as soon as I turn off the camera. At one point B. is saying the notes as he plays and Philip is in the background screaming "RE! MI! RE! ME!". Some of it is funny but all of it is just naughty. I'm pretty sure I cannot sell him back, I'm going to have to keep him. I just don't know what to do with him right now. The time-out chair is getting very worn. If I say, "Do you want to go to time-out?" He will reply, "Yes".

Ahhh.....I feel better.

More
15 Feb 2012 08:49 - 15 Feb 2012 08:55 #2011 by Mandabplus3
Replied by Mandabplus3 on topic I Have An Announcement!
"Well, we are back again. I think I noted before that my husband had surgery. He's not recovered as well as we'd hoped. But he returned to work today and for that I'm grateful. Ahhh, huge sigh of relief."

I understand this one only too well! My hubby had his appendix out last year...I am not sure if he was worse knowing he couldn't go to work or that he was under my feet all day :)

"I've attempted to video my naughty little boy several times. Well, it has not gone so well. He not only refuses for me, but he is very disruptive when I try to video the other kids. "

Mine also hams it up for the video. Could you set one up on the sneeky?I tend to just turn it off. He loves to see himself on the video so that sometimes works. The girls I send out of the room but they always come back in and interupt. We are still working on a solution.

"My little Down Syndrome girl is doing beautifully at just 3 years old. That I find more impressive than what my little guys is doing. We've been working with her for 5 months, she's been walking for only 9 months. She had no stimulation until she came to me. She is a snuggler of the highest order and that is what grandma did with her.
She played hot cross buns with no help, right hand, a score of 13 with a time of 33. She is not consistent with it yet as much depends on her energy level. We just started using the left hand. She doesn't do much with the games yet, I think it is an issue of understand what she is supposed to do. "

That's wonderful! You could try playing a matching game with cards first and then immediately put her on a game that has pictures to match up ( note alphabet, fruit lines) you may need to press the keys for her for a while and just have her point to the one she wants to choose.

"I am going to try again tomorrow to get my little turkey on camera. I am not hopeful. Then I must ask other mothers what you have done with your children. My oldest (now 16) was very naughty. If you told him not to touch he would lick his finger and then touch whatever I forbade. That was very easy to deal with. But Philip, ohhh. He just started throwing himself on the floor and wailing."

Sounds familiar....

"He spends a good portion of his day in time out. "

Very familiar.....

"The rule has been that if you want to play the real piano, you must play nice. If you want to bang we have a small play keyboard for that. He has learned not to bang, but he won't follow Gentle Piano anymore either. Not unless he's in the exact right mood. "

Good rule! Ours is similar, muck up- get off! ;)

"But he is begging to use the piano all the time. When he finally does use the program and completes a lesson he will say "YES!" "

Well you must be doing something right because he still wants to play :) Try giving him a sticker next time he does it sensibly, mention the behavior you liked specifically in the positive form. I like that you looked at the screen, concentrated, and chose the right note. Or maybe I liked that you sat still for practice today! :cheer:

"I am going to upload some of the other kid's video's but I don't want them to be public. I'm not sure how to do this, but you can hear him in the background making as much noise as he can. He will stop as soon as I turn off the camera. At one point B. is saying the notes as he plays and Philip is in the background screaming "RE! MI! RE! ME!". Some of it is funny but all of it is just naughty."

Have you seen any of my videos :P They are all like that! As to the privacy. Upload them to utube and down the bottom one of the last options is public, private and ..... Anyway choose private: only those with a link can view. Then to see the video people have to come here and get the link you posted. That's what I do. You can't see my videos with a tube search.

"I'm pretty sure I cannot sell him back, I'm going to have to keep him. "

Yep you are stuck with him. I tried to sell my daughter Tiana on facebook, best offer i got was " i will take her if she comes with a free pug ( dog)!" even Nana knew better than to take her on! Lol

"I just don't know what to do with him right now. The time-out chair is getting very worn. If I say, "Do you want to go to time-out?" He will reply, "Yes". "

OK being the mum of a very very difficult child ( age 2.9 to 4.3) I can say I feel you! And stick with it!!! Use the time out chair ( for both of you :P ) and stick to your guns. My nightmare is an absolute angel now! Every one says so, she is never in trouble at school. I feel cheated ( I copped the worst and they get the best of her!) but proud to know I " fixed" her :)

"Ahhh.....I feel better."

Yep forums are good for that hey!
Last edit: 15 Feb 2012 08:55 by Mandabplus3. Reason: Not spelling :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene

More
15 Feb 2012 13:56 #2019 by lzp11
Replied by lzp11 on topic I Have An Announcement!
Oh Sonya your posts do make me laugh thank you :lol:
It all sounds so very familiar!! Particularly the throwing of self onto the floor and wailing as a huge drama!

Glad to hear your husband is out of hospital and recovering, allbeit slower than ideal. Hope he's completely better very soon.

I don't have any amazing advice - it sounds like you are doing a great job and your boy is going through his boundary pushing phase so stick with it as I'm sure he'll come out the other side. My DD does not want to play herself but does a great job of sabotage when I try too!

But yes, alongside the calm and consistency and naughty chair, maybe add some positive rewards for good behaviour (which might include sitting nicely when other people are playing the piano / taking turns etc).

And great news indeed about the progress made by the other learners in your household.

I love this forum for offloading too! :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene

More
16 Feb 2012 01:12 - 16 Feb 2012 01:12 #2024 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic I Have An Announcement!

Mrs.Post wrote: Well, we are back again. I think I noted before that my husband had surgery. He's not recovered as well as we'd hoped. But he returned to work today and for that I'm grateful. Ahhh, huge sigh of relief.

I've attempted to video my naughty little boy several times. Well, it has not gone so well. He not only refuses for me, but he is very disruptive when I try to video the other kids. My little Down Syndrome girl is doing beautifully at just 3 years old. That I find more impressive than what my little guys is doing. We've been working with her for 5 months, she's been walking for only 9 months. She had no stimulation until she came to me. She is a snuggler of the highest order and that is what grandma did with her.

She played hot cross buns with no help, right hand, a score of 13 with a time of 33. She is not consistent with it yet as much depends on her energy level. We just started using the left hand. She doesn't do much with the games yet, I think it is an issue of understand what she is supposed to do.

I am going to try again tomorrow to get my little turkey on camera. I am not hopeful. Then I must ask other mothers what you have done with your children. My oldest (now 16) was very naughty. If you told him not to touch he would lick his finger and then touch whatever I forbade. That was very easy to deal with. But Philip, ohhh. He just started throwing himself on the floor and wailing. He spends a good portion of his day in time out. The rule has been that if you want to play the real piano, you must play nice. If you want to bang we have a small play keyboard for that. He has learned not to bang, but he won't follow Gentle Piano anymore either. Not unless he's in the exact right mood. But he is begging to use the piano all the time. When he finally does use the program and completes a lesson he will say "YES!"

I am going to upload some of the other kid's video's but I don't want them to be public. I'm not sure how to do this, but you can hear him in the background making as much noise as he can. He will stop as soon as I turn off the camera. At one point B. is saying the notes as he plays and Philip is in the background screaming "RE! MI! RE! ME!". Some of it is funny but all of it is just naughty. I'm pretty sure I cannot sell him back, I'm going to have to keep him. I just don't know what to do with him right now. The time-out chair is getting very worn. If I say, "Do you want to go to time-out?" He will reply, "Yes".

Ahhh.....I feel better.

Yes, Sonya! Let it all out! Kids are kids. The reward for teaching them early is huge for the sake of their brain sells and neuron connections. 'Use it or loose it'. We all understand that.

But what we don't understand is: how much they actually 'getting' sometimes since their learning progress is not at all a straight road from the button to the top.

Therefore, we have expectations and believes - they have all the different creative ways to disappoint them.

I think, early learning is all about surrounding and ... background noise. If they hear Do Re Mi, we are on the right track :P

Back to the Mozart
Last edit: 16 Feb 2012 01:12 by hellene.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds