fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Learning experience

DD (3 yo) starting with SM - experiences

More
14 Jan 2012 21:11 #1178 by bk
Wow, so many sooo useful answers! Thank you very much for your help! It's good for me to see, that also other parents experienced the same problems.

Today we first tried (we still stayed in 2. week with the curriculum) to cover the screen while playing left hand and this really helped. She still didn't like it that much, but she could play with 1 mistake and 20 seconds delay, I think this is very good for her.

Tomorrow, I will get the stickers Hellene suggested, that surely is a great idea!

Nadia, you mentioned, that you also started in the beginning with Jingle Bells. When I read this, I thougt, I am to afraid to teach something, that isn't in the curriculum. So we sticked with HCB. But now, I have to overthink that, and have a look also at Jingle Bells. I'm just so unsecure to make a mistake while teaching my DD. Tonight I will read through your threads and see, what you have done so far. Congratulations on week 5, WOW!

Mandabplus & tteh: Thank you so much for your suggestions! We have little stickers with animals at home, tomorrow I will try with these to practice playing cords.

I still have 2 more questions:

- Should I start with week 3 tomorrow (playing both hands) or just stay in week 2 until she is more sure with the left hand? Also the finger exercice, where she plays from Do to So is ok with both hands, but not together yet.

- Hellene, you mentioned a video, that you uploaded. I didn't find it... could you please send me the exact link to it? I would love to watch it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2012 21:49 #1180 by Mandabplus3
20 seconds and 1 mistake! Karma to you! Great stuff! You are both doing great. She will be ready for week three, and you can continue left hand practice at the same time. ( if i remember correctly Isabellas time was slower when she did two hands, Nadia?) My daughter finds it easier to play the right hand then left hand then both but that may be too long at the piano for yours in one sitting. I know Jaykob is only good for one maybe two attempts at a song per lesson. I just try for two lessons a day... We are on his third week ( had a delay without key stickers and a holiday) and he hasn't attempted both hands yet...maybe today.
The coriculum is a guide. It can be interpreted as needed. It shows the general direction to take and can be tailored to different individuals. In saying that it is a pretty good guide for young children. However if your daughter likes jingle bells then teach it! Use the corriculum for hot cross buns but substitute jingle bells each time. Better that they love what they are doing and are self motivated to learn than to trudge through a song none of you like!
My kids won't do their finger excersizes with both hands very often...no rush they will soon enough.
Finally like everything when teaching very young kids a lot of it is intuitive. Relax and go with the flow if it takes a little longer than 1 year to complete the corriculum it really doesn't matter, they will still be MILES ahead of where they would have been if you didnt do it at all! We are all having the same problems and questions :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene, bk

More
14 Jan 2012 22:58 #1185 by NadiaD
BK,
I reread the topic and only now realized that your question was about playing with 2 hands :lol: .

Here how my DD started:

JB is her favorite song. But since it is longer than HCB, I decided to start our practice with HCB. We listened to HCB and played it with L and then R hand. I am still amazed how fast her playing with L hand improved... Then we listened to HCB and I played it with both hands. Then my DD tried to play it for the first time. I was guiding her hands, holding them lightly at the wrists to get her to understand what she supposed to do.

What really helped her that she allowed me to guide her hands, holding them lightly at the wrists to get her to understand what she supposed to do, but I know not all the kids and not all the time would agree to that.

The reason why I decided to let her practice multiple songs at the same time, is that she start memorizing HCB, and stopped paying attention to the notes on the screen at the times that we practiced another song --she kept trying to play note sequence from HCB. So now she's practicing all 4 of them, realizing that they are all different songs.

Whenever in doubt what to do, post your questions here.
Hellene has been using this program to teach piano to toddlers for many years, I am sure she will always be able to answer your questions!

P.S.
B.K. would you consider renaming this topic from: "It's getting harder - any tricks?" to "... 3 year old.. learning with SM" like this you will have thread were you will see your DD progress all in one place. It can be done by editing and changing a subject info of your first post in this thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bk

More
15 Jan 2012 18:46 #1197 by lzp11
BK it sounds like you are doing brilliantly - well done to you both :cheer:

I think that the curriculum is a great starting point but it is not rigid and it is important to be flexible with all our different children at completely different ages and with varying motor skills, concentration and interest in the piano.

For example, my DD aged 31 months is extremely variable with her motivation to play piano so we have days where we have a very short game of guess key, days where she will attempt HCB or JB with right hand and days where she will not sit still long enough for either of these! Our progress at about week 3 is nowhere near moving onto the left hand so we will just continue to play around with different activities looking to spark her interest and grow confidence all the time. So from my perspective you are flying way ahead ;)

I'm also learning as an adult beginner and for my piano practice I am moving at a very different pace to the curriculum and playing songs that interest and challenge me, which are not part of the curriculum at all!

And thirdly, together DD and I are learning solfege - and roughly following the pace of the curriculum for this!

So, I think don't be afraid to experiment and discover what works (as well as what does not work) for your daughter. You may not be a piano expert but you know her better than anyone. Then if you come against any difficulties then post here and we can all learn together how to overcome them B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene, NadiaD, bk

More
16 Jan 2012 05:58 - 16 Jan 2012 06:07 #1205 by bk
Hello dear repliers!

This forum is really really great. I didn't think to get such good tipps from you and I'm now even more motivated to teach my little DD. :)

Today we tried 2 hands and it worked!! I was sooo happy, and I saw, that she is also a bit proud of herself :P She went really slow through the song, but she did it. After that, she only wanted to play it with right hand. But that was ok for me, tomorrow we give it another try.

Yesterday evening I managed to take a video of her playing left and right hand. It isn't a good quality video, but you see, how we practice the right and left hand. We speak hungarian at home, so please don't be confused B)

By the way, you are right, it's better not to stick so rigidly with the curriculum. I think today we will start the Jingle Bells, she loves this song (although it's not Christmas anymore :) )
Last edit: 16 Jan 2012 06:07 by bk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrs.Post

More
16 Jan 2012 12:57 #1206 by NadiaD
Wow!

You see : Our kids keep surprising us!
You did the hardest step - got started, from now on every time she will be playing she will be better and better at it!

I loved your video! Your daughter is adorable!
Thank you for sharing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bk

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds