fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

Progress of Mel02 -- 4.5 year old (4th week)

More
23 Apr 2013 04:58 #9955 by hellene
This is what I think. Your daughter has very little fingers and have some struggle with weighted keys. To coop with this she plays non legato (meaning she plays one note at a time with no smoothness)

I have children like this and play 'butterfly game'. I ask them to 'keep butterflies on screen'. She has to keep pressing the previous key 'till she moves to the next one. It would take more time, of cause, but it is time to learn how to play legato.

Do you try to play these learned pieces with TEACHING videos? They may help to make phrasings, articulations and nice sounds. I think, she is ready for this step.

Please, practice legato ( butterflies on screen) for several days and get back to me with the results.

I would appreciate to see at least one video of playing with Teaching videos (with metronome or without)

After that I will give you new pieces to learn and other assignments.

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: andreasro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mel02
  • Mel02's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Apr 2013 17:32 #9967 by Mel02
Helene, thanks for the advice. Will try with teaching video. Do you suggest for Mussette, Largo, Morning mood, ode to Joy, or also include the songs in introductory. Legato is the point for Largo, Morning mood, ode to Joy? Is that Mussette are staccato? I did not get it last time in your comments, now I see that we didn't use the SM fully, we tried to get less time in playing P5, and thought butterfly is a wrong thing to do. But really we could actually use butterfly to play legato?! Any way to do staccato with SM, I thought if the flower didn't fully bloom, the note will not move. So we will just do staccato with teaching video right?

Also, when you say play with teaching video, do you mean to do what done in teaching video --- learn what is in teaching video, then do one with metronome, one without? Or to play with the teaching video at the same time as the video play.

Btw, we went back to do chords yesterday, this time we did listen S on level 6, as you mentioned. She did the chords much better then, I think she is reading/remembering the pattern of chords from the level 6 sheet. Is this right?

More
23 Apr 2013 17:59 - 23 Apr 2013 18:11 #9968 by hellene
Mel02, I just LOVE your questions! They help me to look at the program with a fresh eye:

Mel02 wrote: Helene, thanks for the advice. Will try with teaching video. Do you suggest for Mussette, Largo, Morning mood, ode to Joy, or also include the songs in introductory. Legato is the point for Largo, Morning mood, ode to Joy?

Yes

Is that Mussette are staccato?

It is combination of legato (right hand) and staccato (left hand)

I did not get it last time in your comments, now I see that we didn't use the SM fully, we tried to get less time in playing P5, and thought butterfly is a wrong thing to do. But really we could actually use butterfly to play legato?!

Yes! For some beginners 'watching butterflies' meaning developing proper skill to play smoothly, connecting the notes into phrases.

Any way to do staccato with SM, I thought if the flower didn't fully bloom, the note will not move. So we will just do staccato with teaching video right?

Yes, just with Teaching videos in the stage of polishing.

Also, when you say play with teaching video, do you mean to do what done in teaching video --- learn what is in teaching video, then do one with metronome, one without? Or to play with the teaching video at the same time as the video play.

To play with teaching videos at the same time: :)

!

Btw, we went back to do chords yesterday, this time we did listen S on level 6, as you mentioned. She did the chords much better then, I think she is reading/remembering the pattern of chords from the level 6 sheet. Is this right?

All her skills are getting developed in balance. Vision - ear - coordination - memory. They going hand in hand and it is hard to say, which is dominating.
This exactly how complex skills should be trained and your daughter is making such great and steady progress, because she is having many points of support having good fine motor skills, ear and memory.

Back to the Mozart
Last edit: 23 Apr 2013 18:11 by hellene.

• Mel02
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 May 2013 17:22 #10101 by Mel02
Just realize haven't been on for a while.

There are quite some exploration after Helene's suggestion. After Helene pointed that we should play while the video is playing, I realized what has been held us back, the on-line is unpredictable, the video stopped here and there buffering, that was why we never tried to play with video.

We must have video locally. So settled down to figure out how to do it with google. Hitted the way of installing youtube easy download add-on to the brower, I use firefox. My laptop was XP, so had to install more other things to view the download MP4 video in window media player. Now the downloading is just a click of button -- very convenient.

We also have an amazing founding when we started the butterfly game a couple of days back. To make Melody listen to her own playing, I tried the "recording" in the digit piano we had. Melody mentioned something about "it played". Then we successfully recorded her playing, then happened to be we hit on the P in the softmozart, then started the replay, what we saw was Melody can now watch her own performance! The notes moved! Melody is able to how many butterfly she caught and where she missed.
Not sure if this is ever noticed by softmozart community, this would be a nice/fun/useful feature to be mentioned. We were excited.

For play chord, we did major C, G, F, D. Melody is able to do each now with 0/1 error under 3 times. Time is under 4 in 5LH.

For following the video, we are trying to mimic the hand gesture and try to sync on the time of press and release the key. I am asking Melody to roll her hand like the wave. Is that the right way to follow? Or anything we should pay attention? We followed the video from the simple songs (Hot cross bun, frech song, ode to joy) and try to see how to follow.

She didn't seem to get the idea of holding a key till the pressing of the other key--even when go try butterfly, butterfly come, but the next key also delayed. Is that when play butterfly, we should ignore the time in the right side?

More
04 May 2013 13:49 - 04 May 2013 13:56 #10105 by andreasro

Mel02 wrote: the on-line is unpredictable, the video stopped here and there buffering, that was why we never tried to play with video.

We must have video locally. So settled down to figure out how to do it with google. Hitted the way of installing youtube easy download add-on to the brower, I use firefox. My laptop was XP, so had to install more other things to view the download MP4 video in window media player. Now the downloading is just a click of button -- very convenient.

Having the video file on your computer saves time and keeps you calm :lol: Internet connection can make me nervous with videos sometimes.

Here you can see what solutions I found to download free and good quality Youtube videos: http://softmozart.com/forum/12-technical-questions/5626-how-to-free-download-youtube-etc-video-files.html#10104

Mel02 wrote:
She didn't seem to get the idea of holding a key till the pressing of the other key--even when go try butterfly, butterfly come, but the next key also delayed. Is that when play butterfly, we should ignore the time in the right side?

For the beginning, yes. That time could be just for you and note it down.

My son is almost 5 and we didn't get much into keeping the finger on key for the note duration. I just tell him to press till the butterfly comes out and then release it cause butterflies have to go back home. Without insisting on that. It depends on the child, I think. With my oldest I prefer just to let him play with both hands and work on other skills for now. And try from time to time to see how he reacts do my suggestions and ideas. If he doesn't want to or he can't understand it, either I have to change my teaching method or I need to be more patient and give him time. This is what we do and it doesn't mean it's the way for everyone.

One more thing, it helps very much to listen to the song each time before playing. The child will remember how it sounds and will try to reproduce it. It also helps singing along in Solfeggio and trying to play it. If you note down the scores, you shall see improvement in time.
I tell my son each time I see he didn't play it right: "Let's hear the song and try to play it the way we hear it". And then help him by reminding him how it should sound.

Learning takes time, and we should be patient and make it fun all the time. Otherwise, a beautiful road will end up being deserted...

Andrea
Last edit: 04 May 2013 13:56 by andreasro.

• Mel02
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 May 2013 20:34 #10152 by Mel02
We have some questions about playing chord for Minor.

We have finished all the chord 1 major a few days back. When we proceed with Minor A, we are not sure how to interpret now, because there is also C&G, F&G while A&E, D&E, D&F.

We guess A&E is mother, D&E father, D&F daughter. But then what about C&G, F&G in the picture?

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds