fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

Manda, update

More
02 Oct 2012 10:06 #6001 by Mandabplus3
Manda, update was created by Mandabplus3
So I have still been playing. Not as much as I would like to but I am still making progress. It frustrates me that I know how much better I would be if I could devote more time to practice. Oh to learn as a child and never understand that! ignorance is bliss!
I am practicing and polishing all the songs in favourite classics 1. This is the bit I wish I had more time to spend on. I tend to fight a mantal battle each time I sit down. I enjoy the challenge of learning a new and harder song much more than I enjoy polishing pieces. However if I never polish anything then I actually can't say I play piano! On the other hand if I practice the harder ( new) pieces I get better and then I can more easily polish them using my new skills. :dry:
Anyway my enjoyment usually wins out and I will probably only ever polish for recital! :lol:
So for challenge I am playing favourite classics 2 and classical dances. I like classical dances! I am learning Sarabanda by Corelli. It is beautiful but oh my it is a challenge for my two hand coordination! I can play both hand separately but together it's a mess. Still I am having fun so will continue. I think this time I may have to cut bits and drill.
I have also played all the pieces ( I think all?) in Boogie 1
oh and Natalya and I are trying to find some time together to learn Pachabels Canon as a duet. We both like it but neither of us is brave enough to tackle it alone yet! :lol: just one hand each though we could manage ;)
I wanted to learn Fur Elise but unfortunately my old piano and softmozart together won't recognize ( or play any sound) for the DO notes in the middle of the song. Might be a bug in my system to find on a free day. But I figure it might be a good one for me to try to learn from regular sheet music one day, since I am quite familiar with the tune.

Anyway as we are heading to a recital I have been doing my "chores" :P and playing Hanon, and note alphabet school ( while the kids get to colour in!)
Tonight I FINISHED note alphabet school! WOOOOHOOOO! It took me 28 minutes with a score of 1741. I wasn't planning to finish it. Usually I get to 15 mins and I get bored but I am getting faster so now it is more of a challenge and I became challenged a bit by the speed and kept going. After 20 mins I figured I may as well just finish it off and stubborn as I am I Did! :lol: my score at 20 mins was 1334. I took a photo of each for evidence because the kids were in bed and they won't believe me! I will load Em later.
So from here I am aiming to polish a few of the favourite classics, learn the Sarabanda, add in a new one from classical dances, favourite classics 2 or another boogie perhaps. I also need to do more black and white cat excersizes, I keep crossing those fingers when I play :angry:
I sight read the beginner albums yesterday and I am MUCH better at that now. My left hand still needs work for sight reading so I am hoping to find a few minutes to play base clef game soon. not as confident on those lower notes.
Oh and if I can I want to memorize ALL of the nursery rhymes in gentle piano fo ruse with the kids. But a couple of them are actually quite difficult for me :side:
It's been a while between updates this time, I feel like I have made no progress worth reporting but yet I look back through my note and find I have made progress.
So please please remember to take notes! You won't regret it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the Moon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2012 11:55 #6003 by andreasro
Replied by andreasro on topic Manda, update
great news Manda! glad for you, you're a SuperMom too, you know!
yes, taking notes is good! shows progress!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mandabplus3

More
03 Oct 2012 19:33 #6013 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Manda, update

Mandabplus3 wrote: So I have still been playing. Not as much as I would like to but I am still making progress.

This is MUSIC TO MY EARS!!! :)

It frustrates me that I know how much better I would be if I could devote more time to practice. Oh to learn as a child and never understand that! ignorance is bliss!

Well, let's set the goal: do you want to be concert pianist or playing piano is something that enhancing your life experience? ;)

I am practicing and polishing all the songs in favourite classics 1. This is the bit I wish I had more time to spend on.

ALL the songs? Wow!

I tend to fight a mantal battle each time I sit down. I enjoy the challenge of learning a new and harder song much more than I enjoy polishing pieces.

I know, why are you doing this! It is ver beneficial for your coordination and piano technique development. You absolutely do not have to polish the pieces! Just watch them in out TEACHING VIDEOS sections and try to match with the recording sometimes.

However if I never polish anything then I actually can't say I play piano! On the other hand if I practice the harder ( new) pieces I get better and then I can more easily polish them using my new skills. :dry:

Exactly! This is very natural process! You are doing everything right!

Anyway my enjoyment usually wins out and I will probably only ever polish for recital! :lol:

It looks like a good plan!

So for challenge I am playing favourite classics 2 and classical dances. I like classical dances! I am learning Sarabanda by Corelli. It is beautiful but oh my it is a challenge for my two hand coordination! I can play both hand separately but together it's a mess. Still I am having fun so will continue. I think this time I may have to cut bits and drill.

Also, alternative approach is: to play the entire piece through no matter how long it would take you using BOTH HANDS always. After that build better and better score by playing 1-2 times a day.

I have also played all the pieces ( I think all?) in Boogie 1
oh and Natalya and I are trying to find some time together to learn Pachabels Canon as a duet. We both like it but neither of us is brave enough to tackle it alone yet! :lol: just one hand each though we could manage ;)

It is not an easy piece. You will be able to play it in couple of years.

I wanted to learn Fur Elise but unfortunately my old piano and softmozart together won't recognize ( or play any sound) for the DO notes in the middle of the song. Might be a bug in my system to find on a free day. But I figure it might be a good one for me to try to learn from regular sheet music one day, since I am quite familiar with the tune.

If we'll ever have Skype conference, I am willing to see and hear, what are you talking about.

Anyway as we are heading to a recital I have been doing my "chores" :P and playing Hanon, and note alphabet school ( while the kids get to colour in!)

Wonderful! Tell them HI from Mrs Hiner!

Tonight I FINISHED note alphabet school! WOOOOHOOOO! It took me 28 minutes with a score of 1741. I wasn't planning to finish it. Usually I get to 15 mins and I get bored but I am getting faster so now it is more of a challenge and I became challenged a bit by the speed and kept going. After 20 mins I figured I may as well just finish it off and stubborn as I am I Did! :lol: my score at 20 mins was 1334. I took a photo of each for evidence because the kids were in bed and they won't believe me! I will load Em later.

Oh, I LOVE pictures too! Looking forward to it!

So from here I am aiming to polish a few of the favourite classics, learn the Sarabanda, add in a new one from classical dances, favourite classics 2 or another boogie perhaps. I also need to do more black and white cat excersizes, I keep crossing those fingers when I play :angry:
I sight read the beginner albums yesterday and I am MUCH better at that now. My left hand still needs work for sight reading so I am hoping to find a few minutes to play base clef game soon. not as confident on those lower notes.

Amanda, I think, you are on the right track!

Oh and if I can I want to memorize ALL of the nursery rhymes in gentle piano fo ruse with the kids. But a couple of them are actually quite difficult for me :side:

Best way to do it is to play and sing Solfeggio. If you will do it regularly, you will memorize all of them before you know it.

It's been a while between updates this time, I feel like I have made no progress worth reporting but yet I look back through my note and find I have made progress.
So please please remember to take notes! You won't regret it.

Yeah! Golden words! ;)

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: andreasro

More
03 Oct 2012 19:35 #6014 by lzp11
Replied by lzp11 on topic Manda, update
Wow finished note alphabet - well done you!! I think I must try to find some time and plough on till the end too!

Great that you are still playing. I also always have a battle between enjoyment and polishing :)
One thing i found is that if I make myself memorise a few key pieces then it is much quicker to play them as I can just sit down and play them by memory without using the computer. This helps me to then work on playing with a metronome and getting timing right etc.

I look forward to seeing your duet with Natalya! Sounds great. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: andreasro, Mandabplus3, the Moon

More
04 Oct 2012 11:25 #6023 by Mandabplus3
Replied by Mandabplus3 on topic Manda, update
Pachabels canon, in a couple of years! :lol: :lol: :lol: I believe you already told me I skiped a year ahead by playing the Laughing Song! So it should only be a few months away now! :silly: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thank you. It will be much more relaxed next time i sit down to play knowing my teacher is OK with me polishing less and playing more. :P
In favorite classics 1 some I was/am polishing and some I am still learning. It's a nice collection.
Izzp, yes do commit to finishing one or more of the games. It's a good feeling ;) I like the idea of memorizing a few so I don't have to turn on the laptop every time. Especially now that I often take it to work for EL with the kids. At the moment I have too many songs in the just before memorized category. Need to focus in on a couple at a time.

More
14 Nov 2012 09:51 #6805 by Mandabplus3
Replied by Mandabplus3 on topic Manda, update

so thats the completed picture :woohoo:

I am just keeping up with the credits for each month and managing to find time to practice a couple of times a week. I am not practicing enough, but I just cant squeeze anymore out of my life just now. I am seriously considering putting a keyboard in my classroom, under the pretence of being good for the children but in reality giving me something to do during my lunch break! B)
I have other photos and a video to load later...cant rememeber which device they are on :blink:
My sarabanda is memorised right hand and basically left but I still havnt got a good flow going with both hands together. It wont be long though now. I have hardly looked at favourite classics 1 but am getting the nursery rhymes down pat nicely. I am enjoying playing the games for the monthly credits. Usually if my time is limited for practice I would skip the games and finger excersizes. BUT I can see this isnt the best idea for my overall piano education. :blush: so its good to have a reason to play them!

Anyway although I am managing to practice, just now my kids arnt. They have only one afternoon home a week at the moment (just for a couple more weeks I hope) and our weekends are fuller than my stomach on christmas day! I attempted to entice them by leaving the computer hooked up and turned on overnight, for a morning practice but it didnt work. They wanted their spare 30 mins to play. Fair enough (for now!)
They are still keen, i have spotted them looking longingly at the piano and I have seen them ALL practicing the pieces they have memorised at their carers place on a toy keyboard! :lol: Holidays for them start in 12 days! then we will find time for them to get back into it.

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds