fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Learning experience

Manda adult beginner 2nd month

More
21 Feb 2012 09:57 #2088 by Mandabplus3
Well I did some sight reading...bahahaha I was definately over due! I sight read My First Piano Pieces Album. I did right hand only for the first two a hen and a tease and did just fine. 2-3 mistakes and plus 13 on the time. Then I did both hands and it all went to pieces! :ohmy: Chopsticks 10 mistakes and plus 20, A happy cowboy 20 mistakes and plus 68. Boogie board boogie 5 mistakes at plus 49, Cat Bogie has a note next to it in my practice book that says "yeah right as if!"
So to make myself feel better I sight read the nursery Primer album and did much better :)
So from this I have concluded two things Firstly that I need to practice sight reading more often and secondly I really need an order of which albums to read next ;)
Fruitlines still has my attention, but I have found I need an uninterupted block for it which is harde to find around this house. I played for 20 minutes one night score 1938 and leart a great deal more about the base staff. My 10 minute score seems to always be around 1100...
I have been practicing the laughing song and shaved 5 seconds of my time, but havnt mananged any breakthroughs yet :unsure: Getting those last few seconds of speed seems to always be a problem for me. I think I need to give myself permision to make more mistakes to gain the speed. Thinking - mistakes go up while speed comes down but then speeds stays down and eventually so do the mistakes. My kids seem to have that one mastered...too much virgo perfectionist in me!

I started the Morning Mood song. It is an experiment to test out Hellenes idea of spending more time on right hand only until it is close to perfect and memorised. (then adding left) so I played right hand until I had memorised it at plus 9. Then played left only, its pretty easy left hand so plus 2 was quick to get. Then I tried both hands.
Conclusion, this is definately a better way to learn a piece. My times and scores were immediately better with both hands than they have been on other songs. I also found that my right hand just kept playing when I got lost. Score after first try on both hands was 101/105 plus t31. Normally my first try on both hands gets me a time of at least half of the total notes played.
Now question time.
My little fingers constantly stick up in the air when I play. I have been doing my Hanon and they stick up during that too. I consiously try to get them to rest lower but they wont naturally do that. It is a fall back position from both flute and the Thai dancing I used to do. How can I encourage them to behave? It is causing stress on my hand/finger muscles, mild but I can see it needs to be fixed if I want to play more. Any tips?
What order should I sight read the albums in?
How many levels are there in friut lines? (just curious, I made it to 86 so far.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2012 02:56 #2298 by Mandabplus3
its the end of the month. Time for my Summary :)
Achievements
well I sight read all of nursey Primer with less than 3 mistakes per song...I think I could do better than that now...
Sight read nursery songs made a few mistakes but found it worth while.
Learnt the Laughing Song from Favourite Classics 1- right hand memorised, left hand confident, best score 108/108 plus 17 (the note in my book says WOOHOO!)
Began Morning Mood (same album) best score 103/105 plus 27 both hands. I found this one easy after the Laughing song. There is a lot to be said for setting your self a challenge. ;)
learnt Rock Group (from boogie 1) to encourage my daughter. so far 68/69 plus 14 but I only played it for one day so I should be able to polish it soon.
Had a ball playing fruit lines :) 15 minute score 1629 20 minute score 1938
Found some fairly regular practice time just after putting the kids to bed (but hubby doesnt much like this time slot :( )
Challenges
School is back in and boy are we busy! I spend 3 afternoons a week at the gymnasium (considering putting a piano down there!) time is available for me only when they are slepping or at school and the chores are done.... :ohmy:
Sight reading is my biggest challenge. I need more easy ones to practice on...where are they?

Goals
last months goals
"regular practice time" well I did pretty well with this one
"developing a system to keep organised" yep the reward charts are perfect for that, plus a note book each to take notes on score, feelings, achievements, challenges ect.
"start on requirements for recital" oh dear :ohmy: I didnt even look at them all month!
"Dailly finger excersizes" yep almost dailly :)
"continue to challenge myself and have fun learning" well I certainly challenged myself! :cheer: I need to remind myself how much I enjoy the piano regularly. I seem to forget until I actually sit down to play and find myself engrossed and smiling.

New Goals
Polish at least something :)
Check out the recital criteria :blush:
More sight reading
load more videos.
work on left hand (base cleff) sight reading particularly.

I had a great month, I am blown away by what I can actually play now. I know its not record breaking stuff but I wouldnt have got this far any other way.

More
02 Mar 2012 22:46 - 02 Mar 2012 22:48 #2325 by hellene

Mandabplus3 wrote: its the end of the month. Time for my Summary :)
Achievements
well I sight read all of nursey Primer with less than 3 mistakes per song...I think I could do better than that now...

High 5!!!!

Sight read nursery songs made a few mistakes but found it worth while.

Time to think of reading 'Christmas Carols' ;) R, L and both - the songs with no sharps and flats (look at the beginning after Clef)

Learnt the Laughing Song from Favourite Classics 1- right hand memorised, left hand confident, best score 108/108 plus 17 (the note in my book says WOOHOO!)

:woohoo:

Began Morning Mood (same album) best score 103/105 plus 27 both hands. I found this one easy after the Laughing song. There is a lot to be said for setting your self a challenge. ;)

I see... What about 'Radetsky March?'

learnt Rock Group (from boogie 1) to encourage my daughter. so far 68/69 plus 14 but I only played it for one day so I should be able to polish it soon.

The most fun you will have by turning on the rhythm section of your keyboard and trying different styles!

Had a ball playing fruit lines :) 15 minute score 1629 20 minute score 1938

This is GREAT. Be aware: this month - is a month of Treble Staff Puzzle! (will be announced...)

Found some fairly regular practice time just after putting the kids to bed (but hubby doesnt much like this time slot :( )

:(

Challenges
School is back in and boy are we busy! I spend 3 afternoons a week at the gymnasium (considering putting a piano down there!) time is available for me only when they are slepping or at school and the chores are done.... :ohmy:
Sight reading is my biggest challenge. I need more easy ones to practice on...where are they?

Take it in smaller 'pieces' - 2,4,5,6 - Right, Left and only after that both.

Goals
last months goals
"regular practice time" well I did pretty well with this one
"developing a system to keep organised" yep the reward charts are perfect for that, plus a note book each to take notes on score, feelings, achievements, challenges ect.
"start on requirements for recital" oh dear :ohmy: I didnt even look at them all month!
"Dailly finger excersizes" yep almost dailly :)
"continue to challenge myself and have fun learning" well I certainly challenged myself! :cheer: I need to remind myself how much I enjoy the piano regularly. I seem to forget until I actually sit down to play and find myself engrossed and smiling.

and I am smiling with you!

New Goals
Polish at least something :)
Check out the recital criteria :blush:
More sight reading
load more videos.
work on left hand (base cleff) sight reading particularly.

Very reasonable goals. *I have to hurry with this design project to T-shirt* :blush:

I had a great month, I am blown away by what I can actually play now. I know its not record breaking stuff but I wouldnt have got this far any other way.

Hug!

Back to the Mozart
Last edit: 02 Mar 2012 22:48 by hellene.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds