fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Technical Questions

Starting out/keyboard question

More
13 Feb 2012 21:35 #1942 by Mela Bala
Hello,

I am currently overseas but my husband purchased a keyboard so we can start teaching our son with Soft Mozart. I am concerned because it has 76 keys and am wondering if this will be too many keys and confuse our 18 month old son. As soon as my husband finds a desk appropriate for the keyboard and a top shelf for the laptop he will purchase the perpetual program. Any tips on how others have set their music areas up will be greatly appreciated.

The model of the keyboard he purchased is:
Yamaha YPG-235 76-key Portable Grand Graded-Action USB Keyboard

Thanks in Advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2012 22:10 #1944 by hellene
Hi, Mela Bala! We are happy to see you here, in our community!

Mela Bala wrote: Hello,

I am currently overseas but my husband purchased a keyboard so we can start teaching our son with Soft Mozart. I am concerned because it has 76 keys and am wondering if this will be too many keys and confuse our 18 month old son.

76 keys is not such a bad idea! It will last you for many years ahead! The only problem I see is how strong is your son's fingers to press the keys since they are most likely touch sensitive and require some effort to push.

18 months a little early age to start developing piano technique. I strongly recommend to start learning piano yourself and work in preparation games. Our members placed many files in our Share section and it is going to be very helpful for you to start.

I also recommend you to become friends with Sonya softmozart.com/profile/990-mrspost.html
She is also teaching her 17 (now 18?) months old son and would be a source of experience for you.

As soon as my husband finds a desk appropriate for the keyboard and a top shelf for the laptop he will purchase the perpetual program. Any tips on how others have set their music areas up will be greatly appreciated.

I personally used to have a real table for monitors and purchased a tables with adjustable legs in Wal-mart in the camping section. It worked excellent for me!

The model of the keyboard he purchased is:
Yamaha YPG-235 76-key Portable Grand Graded-Action USB Keyboard
Thanks in Advance

I think, you are very lucky to have such beautiful instrument!

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mela Bala

More
13 Feb 2012 23:41 #1949 by Mela Bala
Hi Hellene,

Thank you so much for your response. I have to say your book was moving. It took me on a journey back to the early stages of my life of how I was introduced and taught music. I especially loved your analogy from the tree roots, trunk etc.

I will definitely be using the Soft Mozart program myself at first so I can better assist in teaching my son. I already know Sonya from the BrillKid forum :) and look forward to hear about her experiences.

Thanks so much for your help.

More
13 Feb 2012 23:49 #1950 by Mandabplus3
OH yes that is a lovely keyboard! You will need to work on finger excersizes a bit to get his finger strength up. But starting as young as you are it's about music knowledge as much as piano practice, so by the time he is 4 his fingers will be stronger than supermans! Also he can play with his strongest fingers for the time being anyway.
Our setup is a strong narrow table from IKEA ( about $90) we sit the laptop on top of the key board, it's nice and close and I can line it up to centre easily. A little table to hold it up a bit would be nice....but having it close is more important to us. We had it on a solid camping table $30 but it was ugly ;) And I now have the keyboard in a room visible from the front door, so it has to be pretty :) consider putting your piano on a low table so your son can stand up to play, it took my boy (3.. Now 4) a while to actually sit down to play. This obviously won't be ideal if you plan to learn yourself!
Having 76 keys will not be a problem. Make sure you buy the solfege stickers and just stick on a few at a time starting with one octave in each colour. Since your son is young I recumbent you don't show him that the stickers can be moved and that you run A line of clear sticky tape down the piano over the stickers and then cut between the keys....or have a spare set of stickers handy! Lol the stickers are considered essential by all the brillkids mums :)

More
14 Feb 2012 00:02 #1953 by Mela Bala
Those are great tips on how to apply and use the stickers. I will make sure to order extra. Your ideas for the set up brings me a feeling of comfort to begin this process in the right direction. I think I will have at a child friendly height and just sit while I learn. My little one is begging for his BrillKid lessons now but I wanted to acknowledge your advice and let you know Thanks :)

More
14 Feb 2012 03:52 - 14 Feb 2012 03:53 #1964 by NadiaD
Melanie and Keri,

Please post any questions arising during installation of software and keyboard connection ASAP, everyone on the forum will be so happy to help you!
I will just paste my reply to the other thread with some useful links here as well:
Here are the helpful links to read :
www.softmozart.com/index.php/forum/15-le...y-breezy-guide-.html
www.softmozart.com/forum/12-technical-qu...-and-a-keyboard.html
www.softmozart.com/teaching/how-to-get-s...it-for-yourself.html
www.softmozart.com/forum/15-learning-exp...first-time-user.html
""The program includes different games that teach play the piano. If you want to get an idea of that just go to the Our Library - Videos - Instructional. Look through them. Firstly you'll see how to better teach children using the program, then there are videos with different exercises that is important to practice ( you can teach your child to do them even before buying the program), and then there are some videos that show how to play different games. So, you'll get the idea about the software.
Also, you can print the flash cards or use slides to teach solfeggio that is very important. You know your child better, so you can decide how to teach ".
It is good idea that you started to learn solfeggio symbols even before showing her keyboard. I did it with my DD too, and when I showed her the keyboard with the stickers, it was like she saw there her old friends.
According to the 1st Week lesson plan she will start playing with the right hand, so it helped me to have only 8 stickers (Middle Do to Do) to keep my DD less distracted. Then for the second week you can add more stickers.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2012 03:53 by NadiaD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene, Mela Bala

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds