fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Hellene Hiner's Blog

Music Lessons Without Regrets

More
27 Jul 2017 06:45 - 27 Jul 2017 08:09 #26577 by hellene

I received this letter recently from an old customer who dropped Soft Mozart a couple years ago.
Dear Hellene,

Remember long ago when you told me to be careful about getting a violin teacher for my son? You were right.

We decided to go ahead and get a teacher because we were worried that he would develop bad habits that would need to be undone later. I don’t know anything about teaching music so I was afraid of doing the wrong thing.

Anyway, here we are several years later. He won’t play piano or violin and he doesn’t even like to listen to music. It breaks my heart.

He just wanted to hold and pretend to play the violin because he loved it. We killed that love by forcing him to do it the “right” way.

I know what some kids are going to do music competition and they need the correct form. We were just hoping that he would develop a lifelong love of music and it seems that we sucked all the joy out of something he used to love dearly.

I wish I would have just let him play with a pretend violin and keep doing Soft Mozart as he wanted. Any suggestions for fixing this?

Help!
SP from Iowa (I’ve hidden the name to protect privacy.)

I’ve heard this over and over. So many children quit music lessons when they are young, only to wish they hadn’t when they become adults. My suggestion. Woo him back. Put the keyboard where everyone can see it. Leave the program open.

Allow the computer to draw out of a child all the necessary reactions and sparks, which develop creativity and musicality in him. The child presses a piano key--a note--and hears what is going on, and most importantly he sees the beginning, the development and the completion of a sound.

Moreover, he sees the beginning, the development and the completion of several sounds! Some continue to develop; others finish and require a renewal.

And this process--just THIS process--develops a child musically. All the rest of the activities may either prepare the child for his/her development or as many of us have seen, distract him from music possibly for a lifetime.

Music lessons without regrets.

Hellene Hiner

Gentle parents TM mailing list: Join us!

Back to the Mozart
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jul 2017 08:09 by hellene.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds