fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Learning experience

Teach fingering to toddler

More
26 Jun 2015 15:33 #20174 by OurFamily
Thank you for the question, this is encouraging as we start teaching with a 2.5 year old. He loves learning but has a hard time making all the connections just yet:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2015 14:22 #20693 by telu
Replied by telu on topic Teach fingering to toddler
One step forward and two steps back for me at the moment... :( My daughter was playing Hot Cross Buns, French Song and Ode to Joy very well with her index finger when I wanted her to start playing with at least three. Then, however, she refused to let us hold her little fingers and show her how to play correctly, and she is still strongly refusing this, so I have no idea what to do. She starts yelling hysterically and jumps off the chair if we try this, and she is not interested in watching us play correctly with all fingers either. I really don't understand how people manage to have two and three year olds play the piano since toddlers of this age are not only obstinate but also in the "Do myself!"-stage of development. Is there any magic formula? Or just genetics?

What is much worse, ironically, is that she actually seems to listen to me and my wife when we tell her to play with more than one finger, but then she tends to mess everything up, playing with all fingers randomly and even with both hands on treble staff if we press the "R" button in Gentle Piano.

I saw this video that someone had published on the forum:
. Is it possible to download those hands from somewhere or do you have to make them yourself?

Some extra help would also be appreciated, because I really don't know what to do any longer. We try to use Soft Mozart with her every day, but this doesn't seem do help. And bribes/rewards...yes, they are plentiful!

More
31 Aug 2015 09:46 #20696 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Teach fingering to toddler
Hello, telu!
Let me try to help you!
You wrote:

telu wrote: One step forward and two steps back for me at the moment... :( My daughter was playing Hot Cross Buns, French Song and Ode to Joy very well with her index finger when I wanted her to start playing with at least three.

Out motto is GENTLE teaching. Let's switch ourselves from the mode I wanted her to start playing with at least three.
to the 'I wanted to motivate her to start with at least three.

How can we motivate? Let's try to cut this elephant in smaller pieces. Can you cut just 2 bars of 'Hot Cross Buns'? Do you know, how to cut a small segments of the piano pieces? There will be just Mi Re Do for her right hand. Place 3 butterflies - flags - whatever music currency you have - 3 of them.
Offer: let's play the game: you play MI with the 3rd, RE with the index and DO with the thumb. You get 1 piece for each right finger. 3 pieces is yours? You won. Let's go!

Then, however, she refused to let us hold her little fingers and show her how to play correctly, and she is still strongly refusing this, so I have no idea what to do.

With active learning children do not want to be hold or patronize. The key is the organic growth. Just give her a smaller task. It seems to me like she is developing from her fingers' awareness to the stage of controlling each finger. Cutting music in smaller segments is the very good way to go. Another way is to use different games.

You can ask to deep the child's hand into play-dough. There will be 5 holes for each finger, Place a tiny pictures of Door, Rain, Mirror next to each hole and ask to lift 'finger Do or finger Mi. This way your child will learn how to control fingers by name, for example.

She starts yelling hysterically and jumps off the chair if we try this, and she is not interested in watching us play correctly with all fingers either.

Of cause! She want to learn organically! You can be proud: she is a strong person. Our goal is to give her tools, how to and she will figure everything out!

I really don't understand how people manage to have two and three year olds play the piano since toddlers of this age are not only obstinate but also in the "Do myself!"-stage of development. Is there any magic formula? Or just genetics?

You will learn it too! Did you have a chance to listen to the webinar? pianolearningsoftware.com/pages/webinar_1

What is much worse, ironically, is that she actually seems to listen to me and my wife when we tell her to play with more than one finger, but then she tends to mess everything up, playing with all fingers randomly and even with both hands on treble staff if we press the "R" button in Gentle Piano.

Did you try these tricks to avoid visual over stimulation? www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.442489...2883088098340&type=3
You may cover another half of the screen, cut the piece to a tiny segment and watch. Reward, when she got it. But don't be all over her, don't touch her hands and don't correct her as she trying to do something.

I saw this video that someone had published on the forum:

. Is it possible to download those hands from somewhere or do you have to make them yourself?

Get brown and green construction paper, trace HER hands. It will be FUN for all of you, It will be HER hands.

Some extra help would also be appreciated, because I really don't know what to do any longer. We try to use Soft Mozart with her every day, but this doesn't seem do help. And bribes/rewards...yes, they are plentiful!

Please, listen to the webinar about rewards. Quantity is not the key with this trick.

Thank you very much for sharing the problems with us! I know, how hard it is to teach your own child. But you are going to have so much fun and so healthy and rewarding relationship in future if you will understand what GENTLE teaching is all about, I am here to help you in any way I can.

Back to the Mozart

More
19 Jan 2016 14:24 #21704 by telu
Replied by telu on topic Teach fingering to toddler
Now, at last, my daughter has actually begun to play with all fingers on the right hand properly, i.e. thumb for DO up to little finger for SOL (=basic position). However, the big question now is: Where do we go from here? I don't even know this myself. I feel completely confused about the various hanon exercises - not to mention Fingerobics 8, for example. (I saw that there is another thread on the forum about the "logic" behind Fingerobics 8, and I agree with the poster there...)

While the software/invention itself is excellent, I think one of your biggest problems except for proper price setting of the product is structure. There is simply too much information pulling in all directions at the same time. Please, Elena, in this case ('teach fingering to toddler') couldn't you do a simple step-by-step guide "for dummies", explaining what the next step is after the toddler can play from middle DO to SOL with proper fingers? For example: I find it hardly impossible to suddenly have her play lower DO with her little finger (as in some Fingerobics exercises) since she now "knows" that DO is equivalent to the thumb. She cries hysterically if I try to explain that DO can mean other fingers as well. And I understand her.

Therefore, I would really like to see some numbered/ordered guide when it comes to fingering. I know that there are Youtube videos on how you play each and every (hanon) exercise, but this is not enough I am afraid.

More
19 Jan 2016 15:05 #21706 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Teach fingering to toddler

telu wrote: Now, at last, my daughter has actually begun to play with all fingers on the right hand properly, i.e. thumb for DO up to little finger for SOL (=basic position). However, the big question now is: Where do we go from here? I don't even know this myself. I feel completely confused about the various hanon exercises - not to mention Fingerobics 8, for example. (I saw that there is another thread on the forum about the "logic" behind Fingerobics 8, and I agree with the poster there...)

While the software/invention itself is excellent, I think one of your biggest problems except for proper price setting of the product is structure.

Can't agree more. This is exactly why I started raising the funds to create a company to be able to focus on teaching part of my system. Did you have a chance to see the project? The link is here: igg.me/at/softmozart/x/12829652

There is simply too much information pulling in all directions at the same time. Please, Elena, in this case ('teach fingering to toddler') couldn't you do a simple step-by-step guide "for dummies", explaining what the next step is after the toddler can play from middle DO to SOL with proper fingers?

I would like to know, what did you read already and what didn't: did you have a chance to read the Lesson plan? My blog in the English segment of the forum?

I understand your point so well :( My DREAM is to organize this system, but for now I am stacked with orders and emails... Momentum...

For example: I find it hardly impossible to suddenly have her play lower DO with her little finger (as in some Fingerobics exercises) since she now "knows" that DO is equivalent to the thumb. She cries hysterically if I try to explain that DO can mean other fingers as well. And I understand her.

Imagine that most of the methods in USA are based on the hand position technique, when each finger is fastened to a key. I DO NOT recommend this and in my lesson plans I suggest starting from Introductory songs (5 fingers), but right after that jump to more advance Albums.

How old is your child?
Did you place any video of her playing?
I apologize for such questions. They may seem arrogant, but I am in contact with hundreds of people now and may loose track sometimes.

Therefore, I would really like to see some numbered/ordered guide when it comes to fingering. I know that there are Youtube videos on how you play each and every (hanon) exercise, but this is not enough I am afraid.

Can you, please, be more specific? I would like to know, what do you practice, what is your score Right hand, Left, Both (amount of correct notes played / time). I also would like to have a video of your child's hands. It will give me enough information to help you.

Back to the Mozart

More
20 Jan 2016 11:43 - 20 Jan 2016 11:49 #21730 by sharryhuang
I want to share my experience here:
When my son first started to use Gentle Piano, he also used index finger to play whole song.

He is easy to distract with one finger and move hands in different location. So he spent a lot of time to find where the correct notes are. At beginning I thought this was normal stage, so I let it go. But it took too much time and occupy my time. I decide to ask him to use different fingers. My son won't let me to tell him how to play at firdt. So I used sneak way to achieve my goal:
1. I asked him to play 5 finger exercise every day before playing Gentle Piano
2. I let him watch music cartoons and ask him to play Mi Re Do and Do Re Mi with 3 fingers with cartoon many times. Then play with 5 fingers with movies.
3. We only focus on Hot Cross Buns at first.

After he get used to 3 fingers in Hot Cross Buns, he automatically used 5 fingers for other songs.
I did not tell him Do is Thumb, Re is index finger. I just told him he can use three finger to play Hot Cross Buns as he did with music movie.

Now, for other songs that need to play octaves, if I found an efficient way, I sometimes show him how I will do or I let him watch "Teaching Video". If he liked that way, he played it. Or he might not remember and he can play whatever he likes as long as he used 5 fingers. I did not force him to play exactly efficient way (I don't know what is correct finger). I hope he can find it by himself.

One day, he just told me he can play song without seeing keyboard. That is because he gets used to 5 fingers and remember to play notes with correspondent fingers subconsciously.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2016 11:49 by sharryhuang.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds