fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Learning experience

Motivating a tricky 3 year old...

More
01 Oct 2012 17:16 #5993 by lzp11
After being motivated by Hellene's video call, I am now going to restart trying to teach piano in very small sections to my challenging DD. As a background, her default is "no" but with patience, and persistence she has learned many things (she can now read quite well and her maths is improving too using an abacus)

So... I think maybe she is ready to have another try with Soft Mozart. WE have been using Little Musician and she does enjoy that (with a little resistance). She likes singing solfege and playing do to do on the keyboard when she chooses to do so.

I have a question about the butterflies / etc. Does everyone give one per point on the games or just one per practice session? My DD does not usually follow a logical system!!! It sounds crazy but I can't quite work out how best to use these rewards to motivate her. I can get some treats that she can start to earn using her butterflies...

How is everyone else managing this with younger children who don't entirely follow the concept of one butterfly per point? Or am I not giving her enough credit??

I am excited to try but also a little nervous. WE have had some big disasters trying new things (mainly classes outside the home) recently and they have upset us all a bit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2012 07:38 #5999 by Mandabplus3
We are using stickers. I give one for having a go, 2 if they beat their last score and 3-5 if they smash it out of the ball park or get a personal best. Works well for my kiddies
I also try to keep the treats to things I either would have bought anyway or things I want them to own. Usually it's Lego ( you can never have too much Lego right? :lol: ) but sometimes art supplies like new pastels will motivate them a little bit more. We have even had weeks were they havnt asked for their reward so I carry it over ;) And if the chart isn't full of sticker I don't ever cave in. Perhaps there is a little bit of Tiger Mother in me ;) ( there are certainly enough battles! )
When my girls were little we also had lots of disasters with outside classes. It was so disappointing for us all. It is easier now they are older but we still sit down each 6 months and review the classes they take to be sure we are still in the right ones. It's easy for a year to slip by before you realize there has been no progress and you spend $800 ( or more) for nothing! it's just a matter of having a clear aim in mind. I let one class continue with no progress because the other benefits are worth it. ( friendship, fun, price! )
Have faith I know you can do it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: andreasro

More
03 Oct 2012 19:54 #6015 by hellene

lzp11 wrote: After being motivated by Hellene's video call, I am now going to restart trying to teach piano in very small sections to my challenging DD. As a background, her default is "no" but with patience, and persistence she has learned many things (she can now read quite well and her maths is improving too using an abacus)

So... I think maybe she is ready to have another try with Soft Mozart. WE have been using Little Musician and she does enjoy that (with a little resistance). She likes singing solfege and playing do to do on the keyboard when she chooses to do so.

Do you give her butterflies for that? Please, do!

I have a question about the butterflies / etc. Does everyone give one per point on the games or just one per practice session?

If to start with tiny steps, start giving a butterfly for each point! Later we can gradually change the strategy.

My DD does not usually follow a logical system!!! It sounds crazy but I can't quite work out how best to use these rewards to motivate her. I can get some treats that she can start to earn using her butterflies...

Yes, to start her notebook with collection of different stickers could be a good idea. 10 butterflies - 1 sticker, for example ;)

How is everyone else managing this with younger children who don't entirely follow the concept of one butterfly per point? Or am I not giving her enough credit??

She is smart. You are taking it for granted :lol: Reward her for ANY right intellectual move! Praise every achievement and volunteering attempt. For some reason many parents ( including myself) always noticing, if something is going wrong, but when child is GOOD, we take it for granted.

I am excited to try but also a little nervous. WE have had some big disasters trying new things (mainly classes outside the home) recently and they have upset us all a bit.

Lee, may I suggest? Our goal is not to achieve a goal now, but start enjoying the experience of learning. Please, take it easy. Positive aura should be around any learning at home environment. Your DD should never leave the comfort zone with you! I think, she is very smart, but doesn't want to be pushed to do something.

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: andreasro

More
03 Oct 2012 20:01 #6016 by lzp11
Thanks Manda. It's been a tough few weeks with a lot of tears (all round) trying to beat separation anxiety and adjust to various classes. I've taken a long hard look at our week (I work 3 days so we have only limited time) and cut back to swimming (for my 14 month baby as well!) plus a drop in soft play / gymnastics session that again both can participate in our local gym club.

This gives us a little more time to focus on learning activities at home including piano of course. Also she has just dropped her afternoon nap and this also makes time a bit less tight.

So I have printed out on card stock some butterflies and cupcakes. I was trying to improvise today and found some colourful mini bath salts that I was able to offer and caught her imagination! I also timed it just before we were due to go to the park ("we can go to the park after finishing....").

Hellene suggested going out of the room and leaving her to it. I tried this but we had tears and she wanted me to come back in!

Anyway, first attempt at HCB today was R1 8/15 t87. I was considering cutting to just 6 notes but I wanted to see if she could stretch a bit further. If things get tricky we can cut down.

If we keep it up then I will set up a progress diary! It can't be every day due to work. I'd like to aim for 3 days a week to start with.

I do hope we won't both be disappointed again. I think now is a better time then when we tried in the past as she's much more amenable to learning. We are making steady progress in maths and reading too!

More
03 Oct 2012 20:06 - 03 Oct 2012 20:08 #6017 by lzp11

hellene wrote:

lzp11 wrote: After being motivated by Hellene's video call, I am now going to restart trying to teach piano in very small sections to my challenging DD. As a background, her default is "no" but with patience, and persistence she has learned many things (she can now read quite well and her maths is improving too using an abacus)

Thanks Hellene! I think we were both posting at the exact same time :silly:

Do you give her butterflies for that? Please, do!

I have a question about the butterflies / etc. Does everyone give one per point on the games or just one per practice session?

If to start with tiny steps, start giving a butterfly for each point! Later we can gradually change the strategy.

My DD does not usually follow a logical system!!! It sounds crazy but I can't quite work out how best to use these rewards to motivate her. I can get some treats that she can start to earn using her butterflies...

Yes, to start her notebook with collection of different stickers could be a good idea. 10 butterflies - 1 sticker, for example ;)

She is smart. You are taking it for granted :lol: Reward her for ANY right intellectual move! Praise every achievement and volunteering attempt. For some reason many parents ( including myself) always noticing, if something is going wrong, but when child is GOOD, we take it for granted.

Lee, may I suggest? Our goal is not to achieve a goal now, but start enjoying the experience of learning. Please, take it easy. Positive aura should be around any learning at home environment. Your DD should never leave the comfort zone with you! I think, she is very smart, but doesn't want to be pushed to do something.

Thanks Hellene! I think we were both posting at the exact same time :silly:
Last edit: 03 Oct 2012 20:08 by lzp11.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds