fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Learning experience

Toddler help

More
15 May 2012 02:09 #3818 by Mrs.Post
Toddler help was created by Mrs.Post
Couple of questions for Manda or Hellene or whomever,

We have lost our oldest little boy. Now I am down to my little one and our little girl who has Downs. She is still playing right hand only. We are not making a transition to two hands but she is getting quite good at right hand playing and recognizing the notes as they appear. We aren't playing any games as she doesn't seem to understand what the point is. I've placed both hands on the keyboard, but it is mostly me doing the work.

Philip, my little one is now 21 months. He is not motivated by bribes yet. He really just wants to band on the keyboard. He will sing notes he is smacking - sometimes. He will sometimes play a game where I ask him to find me a "Re" and he will find it. Usually he wants to turn to the beat on and bounce. Should we just keep doing this...he loves to get the "pee no" out and play it? Any suggestions about what to do with him?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2012 09:40 #3823 by Mandabplus3
Replied by Mandabplus3 on topic Toddler help
For your budding pianist DS girl has she memorized any right hand songs yet? Has she tried any left hand only? I really think it will take a lot of encouragement from you and even a few good happy demonstrations in slow motion to get her playing both hands. But I wouldn't push for it until she is confident with both hands separately. I base this on what I learnt from teaching Jaykob both hands. Consistency, confidence and familiarity along with an expectation that he could do it got us their.
As for your boy..well that's uncharted territory for me :)
I would suggest note familiarity games but you seem to be doing that. Maybe try having him sing the notes on the screen for the song your are trying to teach so you can play them. Blindfold yourself, he may find it funny enough to participate. At that age being very familiar with the note order in the song is bound to be helpful.
Set small goals and lots of enthusiasm. Regular daily practice in short bursts will get you there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrs.Post

More
15 May 2012 09:41 #3824 by Mandabplus3
Replied by Mandabplus3 on topic Toddler help
Oh and get some more kids :)

More
16 May 2012 15:33 #3846 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Toddler help

Mrs.Post wrote: Couple of questions for Manda or Hellene or whomever,

We have lost our oldest little boy. Now I am down to my little one and our little girl who has Downs. She is still playing right hand only. We are not making a transition to two hands but she is getting quite good at right hand playing and recognizing the notes as they appear. We aren't playing any games as she doesn't seem to understand what the point is. I've placed both hands on the keyboard, but it is mostly me doing the work.

Philip, my little one is now 21 months. He is not motivated by bribes yet. He really just wants to band on the keyboard. He will sing notes he is smacking - sometimes. He will sometimes play a game where I ask him to find me a "Re" and he will find it. Usually he wants to turn to the beat on and bounce. Should we just keep doing this...he loves to get the "pee no" out and play it? Any suggestions about what to do with him?

Have plenty to say, but soooo tight with time.
Did you read my blog - one of the very first entries?

Back to the Mozart

More
16 May 2012 22:57 #3864 by Mrs.Post
Replied by Mrs.Post on topic Toddler help
Well Manda,

We are taking another child this fall; a little girl who will be 16 months and is the sister of the little girl who is already coming. I really don't want more than this. My choice to do daycare was merely so that my little one would have children to school with and have playmates, as this mother is NOT having more children.

Little Miss C. has memorized Hot Cross Buns - yeah. This is both good and bad in that she doesn't want to wait for the notes to appear before she plays since she knows what comes next. We encourage waiting and make sure the spider isn't getting us. It seems that D.S. really does something with that hand/eye coordination and working both hands separately. We are working on this in other skills as well. She is doing a fine job on the right hand but that is all. We are still attempting to put the notes together in order and skipping one note. This is a stuggle for both little kidlets - mine simply because he wants to take all the cards and keep them for himeself - fridge magnets - he tried to eat them. I mentioned in a post on here that we were waiting for a screw to appear. It finally came through. My husband says, "Oh look, he has a screw loose." And then I was supposed to laugh. Which I did, but not because it was actually funny.

Yes, short bursts.....small lessons. I need to remember that. I am not working with a 6 year old!

More
16 May 2012 22:57 #3865 by Mrs.Post
Replied by Mrs.Post on topic Toddler help
Hellene,

I see that you are busy. No worries. I haven't read the blog but I am going to in about 10 seconds! Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds