fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Learning experience

Some ideas to keep the kids interested in piano

More
22 Feb 2012 08:54 #2111 by michjas
I thought I'd write a few points as to how I am keeping my daughter interested in piano as I know there are quite a few parents here who don't play/are learning the instrument at the same time.

I completed my AMEB Grade 8 piano and was halfway through completing my AMus, but quit as I was preoccupied with finishing my uni degree at the time. I also learnt the Kodaly method as a kid too when I was involved in a children's choir - loved learning solfege as you could transpose in any key you liked, learn to sing in harmony and gain excellent ear training. I liked, but do not love playing the piano - I wish I did though. I think back to the times as to what I would have liked my parents/teacher to do with me to increase my interest in practice and am now implementing it with my daughter.

1. When we were learning Ode to Joy, we read a story about Beethoven so we can learn more about the person who wrote the piece. (My First Classical Music Book by Genevieve Helsby & Jason Chapman)

2. I looked on YouTube for a professional pianist playing Ode to Joy - it was a man who was playing a few variations; just so my daughter would know how she could sound one day :)

3. We sing in Solfege during the day, including songs we aren't learning on piano. Plus I teach her hand signs with it, pretending each hand sign is part of a house eg. doh - knock on door.

4. I do solfa jumping - taping flash cards onto plastic plates and my daughter jumps on the cards (from do to to, ascending then descending); then interval training by taking away eg. re, fah, la, ti - so she would only jump on do, me, so, do - and she also learns tonic triad at the same time!!! Then I take away me, soh and let her jump on remaining plates.

That's it for now..will continue when I can remember some more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sv81, the Moon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2012 09:21 #2112 by Mandabplus3
Geat ideas. I hadn't thought to find someone playing the piece properly on utube! Kids love the visual element. Pressing s so we can listen to how it should sounds helps dramatically but a visual every now and then would be great too! Thank you. Let's slap on some Karma to get you started :)

More
22 Feb 2012 11:57 #2114 by hellene

michjas wrote: I thought I'd write a few points as to how I am keeping my daughter interested in piano as I know there are quite a few parents here who don't play/are learning the instrument at the same time.

I completed my AMEB Grade 8 piano and was halfway through completing my AMus, but quit as I was preoccupied with finishing my uni degree at the time. I also learnt the Kodaly method as a kid too when I was involved in a children's choir - loved learning solfege as you could transpose in any key you liked, learn to sing in harmony and gain excellent ear training. I liked, but do not love playing the piano - I wish I did though. I think back to the times as to what I would have liked my parents/teacher to do with me to increase my interest in practice and am now implementing it with my daughter.

1. When we were learning Ode to Joy, we read a story about Beethoven so we can learn more about the person who wrote the piece. (My First Classical Music Book by Genevieve Helsby & Jason Chapman)

2. I looked on YouTube for a professional pianist playing Ode to Joy - it was a man who was playing a few variations; just so my daughter would know how she could sound one day :)

3. We sing in Solfege during the day, including songs we aren't learning on piano. Plus I teach her hand signs with it, pretending each hand sign is part of a house eg. doh - knock on door.

4. I do solfa jumping - taping flash cards onto plastic plates and my daughter jumps on the cards (from do to to, ascending then descending); then interval training by taking away eg. re, fah, la, ti - so she would only jump on do, me, so, do - and she also learns tonic triad at the same time!!! Then I take away me, soh and let her jump on remaining plates.

That's it for now..will continue when I can remember some more.

There are so wonderful ideas!

We also created this community and going to have recitals and contests, when kids can see each other playing.

I am planning to create 'wall of fame' for kids, where they will be able to see other kids playing the same songs and it will help them to be motivated.

Back to the Mozart

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds