fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Technical Questions

Thinking of upgrading my keyboard - help!

More
22 Sep 2012 19:01 #5811 by lzp11
I bought a non-touch sensitive 66 key keyboard because it is perfect for teaching my young children to learn piano through soft mozart. I love our little Yamaha and it's perfect for this (and being bashed by a baby without getting me too stressed!)

BUT I'm also learning piano and I've now started to find this quite limiting. Basically I would love to have a decent touch sensitive (digital / electonic) piano to play on myself. It is very daunting (and EXPENSIVE!!) and I don't know where to start.

I don't know what level of piano I need to go for. For example, I could go for an entry level piano / keyboard that is cheaper but would this last if we one day start playing at a higher level - would I then need to upgrade to a third piano if we ever get to this stage? This seems crazy waste of money. But what if I / they never get there? Obviously if money were no object I'd get the best one possible but sadly that's not the case.

Would be great to have some input / suggestions, thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2012 21:46 #5816 by hellene
Lee, yes, PIANO is something that you would trully enjoy.
Let me try to help you with that...

lzp11 wrote: I bought a non-touch sensitive 66 key keyboard because it is perfect for teaching my young children to learn piano through soft mozart. I love our little Yamaha and it's perfect for this (and being bashed by a baby without getting me too stressed!)

BUT I'm also learning piano and I've now started to find this quite limiting. Basically I would love to have a decent touch sensitive (digital / electonic) piano to play on myself. It is very daunting (and EXPENSIVE!!) and I don't know where to start.

I bought my first Roland digital piano in 1998 for about $4,000. It still works for me, BUT... you may find the digital piano with much better quality for less then $1,000 now. Please, don't rush! Check ebay, Amazon and feel free to send me links to the products. I also would recommend you to visit a local stores that sale digital pianos and just browse. Write a model that you like the most and check, if you can find it on line. Again, share the link with us.

I don't know what level of piano I need to go for.

I think, we do not need a concert grand piano any way. Any digital piano would work for years to come!

For example, I could go for an entry level piano / keyboard that is cheaper but would this last if we one day start playing at a higher level - would I then need to upgrade to a third piano if we ever get to this stage?

Modern Art Universities and Music Schools use digital pianos. I also know at least one concert pianist who had to perform on one. I asked his opinion and he didn't complain much :lol:

This seems crazy waste of money. But what if I / they never get there? Obviously if money were no object I'd get the best one possible but sadly that's not the case.

Would be great to have some input / suggestions, thank you!

In the music stores they will try to sale you the most expensive one. Please, remember my words: you will be just fine with any Casio, Yamaha, Roland below $1,000 USA dollars!

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: lzp11

More
23 Sep 2012 04:38 - 23 Sep 2012 04:42 #5819 by andreasro

hellene wrote: In the music stores they will try to sale you the most expensive one. Please, remember my words: you will be just fine with any Casio, Yamaha, Roland below $1,000 USA dollars!

What features should mainly a digital piano have?
- 88 touch sensitive piano keys?
- volume for the keys?
- metronome?
- pedals?
- what more is needed?

How about this one, Farfisa DP 300 , Italian made ? Its the equivalent of 678 USD. After Oleg told us about upgrading the piano I was looking for one in my area and found this to be the cheapest in this shop.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2012 04:42 by andreasro.

More
24 Sep 2012 09:06 - 24 Sep 2012 09:07 #5834 by Mandabplus3
I also will upgrade mine soon. Just not sure when. Piano shopping is quite time consuming.
I will agree you need to go to a music store and press some keys. I have done that and I found I LOVED the sound of one particular brand name, but didn't really like another. The first to me was warm, mellow and grand piano like and the second to me sounded a bit tinny. The salesman ( who knew I was wasting his time :lol: ) told me it was a personal thing and others would hear it differently. So at least make one trip to a music store and make sure you don't hate or love one brand!
Oh be prepared for a price shock WOW they can be expensive! I only had one choice under $1000! But I have since found other ways and other stores. Personally I love the one Natalya's teacher uses but she just won't sell it to me!!!! Can't remember what it is but I took a photo for when I go shopping.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2012 09:07 by Mandabplus3.

More
26 Sep 2012 19:43 #5884 by lzp11
It is VERY time consuming. I have been sent quite a comprehensive e-book by one of the UK piano stores. They of course want you to buy from them but it does include quite a lot of useful info about buying a piano.

If anyone is interested, PM me with your email address and I can forward it on (not allowed to post on the internet).

I need to go and play a few in a store. But like Manda, I am struggling to find one I like the sound of for less than $1000!

I'm quite liking the look of the Yamaha YDP161 or Roland RP301 (these were rated as in the top 3 pianos between Uk £700 - £1000). These are both at the very top end of my budget but they do sound nice. But I haven't heard them in real life yet.

One other thing from the sound point of view - I have read that some of the cheaper brands have poorer quality speakers. However, it is easily possible to plug in some better quality speakers, and this can be much cheaper than getting a more expensive piano.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andreasro

More
28 Sep 2012 22:24 - 28 Sep 2012 22:29 #5923 by Mandabplus3
I have played that Roland! I liked it ALOT! The other one I have no idea sorry.
The one that Natalya's teacher has is the Roland model I think it is a Roland RD 300 sx( not sure about the D it could also be a P or an O :lol: ) it has a beautiful sound that I would just never get sick of listening to plus it is tough!
Last edit: 28 Sep 2012 22:29 by Mandabplus3.

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds