fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Technical Questions

Connecting a computer and a keyboard.

More
08 Dec 2011 07:03 - 19 Dec 2011 21:42 #418 by NadiaD
Well, tonight after my kids fell asleep I connected our

computer (running on Windows 7, 64-bit) and

keyboard (Yamaha YPT320 61-Key Portable Keyboard) www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YPT320-61-Key-Port...920ZW/ref=pd_cp_MI_1

using Yamaha UX16 Midi to USB Computer Adapter www.amazon.com/Yamaha-UX16-Computer-Adap...cm_cr_pr_product_top

The keyboard and MIDI had great reviews on amazon, and there was a good deal, so I bought it.

As recommended by the reviewers on amazon, I downloaded drivers for Yamaha UX16 USB MIDI directly from yamaha.com :

download.yamaha.com/search/detail/?langu...id=107905&1323330177

also I downloaded Musicsoft Downloader application for the keyboard, I am not sure if it was necessary but I did it.

download.yamaha.com/search/detail/?langu...d=1032999&1323330504

As recommended I connected the keyboard to the computer, turned on the keyboard, did Soft Mozart Tuning. Here some problems that you might have: (I copied this from Troubleshooting Section of SM website:

1."You do not hear any music sounds.

Check your system sound volume. Set the general volume and MIDI playback volume to the maximum.

Run the Soft Mozart Tuning program: "" Run the Soft Mozart Tuning program from the Start Menu, Soft Mozart folder, Tools.
The default location is Start->Programs->Soft Mozart->Tools->Soft Mozart Tuning. For help on this program, run Soft Mozart Tuning and press Help or press the key F1 to see a corresponding topic.""

and assign a correct device for the sound output. It may be a sound card or Microsoft wave table. If you have chosen an output to an external MIDI device, check the connection and follow your manual for the correct sequence to connect that device. If you do not see any sound output device on the list, it means that your computer has no devices at all.

2.There is no reaction on the game from the piano keyboard or digital piano. - happened to me

Check the MIDI connection between the computer and piano keyboard. Attention: Connect the MIDI cable "In" plug to the "Out" MIDI socket of the keyboard. Connect the cable "Out" plug to the "In" MIDI socket of the keyboard.
(One would think midi in cable connects with midi in port. Wrong. I was going crazy troubleshooting this issue till I found out that Midi in cable connects to midi out port. And vice versa. Once I reversed the cables, works fine.)

Run the Soft Mozart Tuning program and assign a correct device to the MIDI input.
Switch off the piano keyboard and restart your computer. Switch on the piano.

Now you should be able to try Gentle Piano !

Hope this post will be helpful!
Last edit: 19 Dec 2011 21:42 by NadiaD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lzp11, Mandabplus3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2011 08:16 #420 by Mandabplus3
Oh Nadia you have saved me again. Seriously who invented an in cable that plugs into an out socket....someone with a brain that works very differently to ours apparently! It perfectly logical just not at all sensible! Thank you!

More
08 Dec 2011 17:17 - 08 Dec 2011 17:19 #432 by ariel
[attachment:1]C:\fakepath\usb-cable.jpg[/attachment]

Hi Nadia,

That Midi to computer cable, was it really for 40 bucks? that seems too expensive. Did you try the USB cable, most newer keyboards allow connection via USB cables.

Great posts...very helpful for the rest of us.

Thanks
Last edit: 08 Dec 2011 17:19 by ariel. Reason: add pics

More
08 Dec 2011 21:39 #435 by NadiaD
Yes, ariel, that MIDI connector is expensive.

I read many reviews that say that not all the MIDI work with all keyboards and with Windows 7.

I am sure that you can buy better product for less money that I spent, but since this was all a little new to me I overspent to get a sure thing...

I bought Yamaha keyboard when it was on sale on amazon for $99 +free shipping, I could not find anywhere original YAMAHA MIDI for lower price. The reviews for both products were great, so I decided to buy.
Only time will show if it was good decision.

I started this thread so we can all share info about the keyboards that we have. Like this, everyone looking for keyboard reviews can find them here.

More
10 Dec 2011 00:11 - 10 Dec 2011 00:16 #442 by andreasro
This is what I discovered when installing with the devices I have:

- a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows XP SP3.

- Casio CTK-700 61-keys keyboard (a gift from a relative).

- bought separately, from a local (Romanian) supplier the M-Audio MIDISport 1-in/ 1-out interface - which I believe it's identical to the item on SM store - (it cost me 51 USD, delivery included - this was the cheapest price on the Romanian for this interface).

My MIDISport interface has written on each plug: "To Midi IN" and "To Midi OUT". So the connection worked when I connected the "To Midi IN" in the IN socket of keyboard, and "To Midi OUT" in the OUT one. It's other way around than Nadia said or than I found on the "Soft Mozart Demo Help" file that came with installing SM software.

I checked this with the Guess Key game. And I played Gentle Piano a little.

And what it is said in the "Soft Mozart Tuning Help" file (hope I got it right at this late hour): if the sound of the keyboard is turned off, you can hear the notes you make on the computer's speakers (or headphones, in my case, cause here people are sleeping, it's 3 a.m. :P ).

Andrea
Last edit: 10 Dec 2011 00:16 by andreasro.

More
10 Dec 2011 08:19 #446 by NadiaD
Andrea,

thank you for sharing your experience and for the tip how to use SM and keyboard on the silent mode, I am sure will use it as I am too planning to practice at night :lol: !

Congratulations! Now you all set and ready for learning!

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds