fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Suggestion Box

Updated Soft Mozart Images

More
11 Feb 2013 22:28 - 11 Feb 2013 23:43 #8320 by TeachingMyToddlers
This is just a bit of random feedback. I realize the images for SM were chosen as the beginning sounds are similar to the solfege names. For some of the words, they are similar but still slightly off. So, should you ever decide to update the software, perhaps you may consider updating a few of the images as well with words that better imitate the solfege names.

Do- The sound of the word door is an "or" sound, as in "either/or" or "this gift is FOR you." If you are looking for a doh/doe sound, the word Donut would work better with a cute, simply drawn donut.

encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...nbhr8-qbQ0oah0CkLjBX

Re-Rain already works beautifully.

Mi- Mirror is another one that is slightly off. It's hard to write it out, but the pronunciation is more like "M-ear-ror" or "M-ihr-ror, not "Mee-ror" like the solfege name Mi. If you want the Mi sound, it would need to be a word that begins in Mea, like Meat...a simply drawn ribeye steak perhaps? Vegetarians may find that off putting, I suppose, but it would achieve the sound goal. One could argue it may be confused for "steak" initially.

encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...zODKledsjN-YupIIqzJw

A falling meteor would work as well but I think it might be difficult to represent graphically in a simple way without it being confused for a comet

www.graphicsfactory.com/Clip_Art/Nature/meteor800_150899.html

Fa- Farm is an R-controlled word with a "bossy R sound," so rather than an -ah sound, you have -arrrr, like arm or "Arrrrgh, Matey, I'm a pirate!" I previously thought of something to replace this but cannot remember at the moment.

So- For So, the word salt is not ideally representative of that sound. A bar of soap might be a better fit to really get that "oh" sound of So/Sol. It may be a pronunciation difference, but here we do not say "S-oh-lt" but rather, "S-ah-lt." So the beginning sound is not So, but Sah. Or even the word "Soldier" (with a toy soldier) might work if you are are the Sol sound in full, but that image may be slightly more ambiguous.

www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www....=0CDsQ9QEwAw&dur=121

La- The word Lock gives you the La sound (with a picture of a padlock), rather than Ladder, which has an a short a sound as in apple or lad.

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...197-nfH011zQHE875Ylw

Ti- A teacup works well for this.

Additionally, you could add some display options in addition to the solfege pictures and alphabet labels on the notes. It would be nice to have the option to read solfege names directly on the notes and after a student has mastered reading the notes, there might be an option to include numbers on the notes. Not entirely sure on these, just an idea that came to mind. I get confused sometimes on which fingers to use. Although I realize there is a video library it would be nice if it was self contained in the program.

I'm sure there are other options, but these came to mind offhand. Do with the suggestion what you will, take it or leave it (some or all), but I wanted to put it out there.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2013 23:43 by TeachingMyToddlers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2013 14:01 #8363 by Mandabplus3
I considered this too, but decided with all the different world accents it would be difficult to please everyone. Most of your suggestions fit my accent but LOCK is no where near LA ladder is probably closer. also Farm for FA is spot on here.
I wonder if we could come up wit a set that is universally acceptable in English speaching countries?
I am good with DO nut. Tea and rainout well with an Aussie twang too.
For Mi a picture of a person could work ME!
Really though it doesn't matter what the picture is of at all so long as we can teach out kids to remember these 7 things equal these 7 things. Which in the case of our kids means they may as well have the written words on them!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene

More
13 Feb 2013 18:08 #8373 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Updated Soft Mozart Images

Mandabplus3 wrote: I considered this too, but decided with all the different world accents it would be difficult to please everyone. Most of your suggestions fit my accent but LOCK is no where near LA ladder is probably closer. also Farm for FA is spot on here.
I wonder if we could come up wit a set that is universally acceptable in English speaching countries?
I am good with DO nut. Tea and rainout well with an Aussie twang too.
For Mi a picture of a person could work ME!
Really though it doesn't matter what the picture is of at all so long as we can teach out kids to remember these 7 things equal these 7 things. Which in the case of our kids means they may as well have the written words on them!

I agree with almost all you posr, Amanda.
Have only one thought to share: words Vs pictures.

Pictures are 'icons' - they are easily being grasped like hieroglyphs. When choosing the pictures and drawing them we were making them very small to be still recognizable. We were choosing the images very selectively, because in advanced pieces the icons should still work for students.

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: andreasro

• Tamsyn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2013 18:11 #8702 by Tamsyn
Replied by Tamsyn on topic Updated Soft Mozart Images
For what it's worth, it was TMT's point, along with the price of SM, that kept me from purchasing. When I found out that you were doing a scholarship program, and that there is a simple ABC option, Soft Mozart became a lot more appealing to me. I think the pictographs would confuse my kids and I haven't used them at all. In retrospect, I don't think my kids would have done any better if they matched my pronunciation and I had used them. Even my 2-year-old is picking it up quickly with just letter-to-letter correspondence.

• dalis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2013 17:29 #8821 by dalis
Replied by dalis on topic Updated Soft Mozart Images
Quick suggestion: for my 18 month old when we started SM the fact that the word pronunciation is "slightly off" didnt matter.
At the beggining I asked her what the pictures represent and almost all were instantly recoqnized.
She never refers to what she sees in the picturs as Ladder, etc, she just says La.

For me as an adult I do realize the diffrences TMT was reffering too and maybe other words would work better, but in the end as they are, they work.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds