fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

Progress of Lily, Owen, & TmT

More
22 Jun 2013 06:34 #11121 by TeachingMyToddlers
I just wanted to post that my daughters semester ended with her local teacher, so we are picking up where we left off with SM. My son has been staying with Grandma and my extended family for about the past month, so he will be very out of practice once I see him in a couple of weeks since he has not been near a piano. (I miss my little guy sooooo much!) I will be bringing SM with me though when we relocate, so we can practice while we stay with family for the summer before the move.

I am looking to pick SM back up with Lily, but where I always get stuck is knowing what fingers to use! It stops me in my tracks. I basically have to pick a song, sit there and write down the finger sequence to ensure that I am teaching her correctly. In the future, I wish there was a way to change the display from solfege images to note names AND to finger numbers for those who can already read the music. Or they could be color coded with a number inside so you would know the note and the finger number right offhand. I don't think that's the direction SM is going to go, but I thought I would put that out there anyway. The option would be nice!

Or, maybe there could be a way to print the sheet music with the finger numbers on it. It's just time consuming to sit there and decode what the correct fingers are. So now I need to pick what song she can learn now and figure out the fingers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2013 07:01 #11122 by hellene
Hi, TmT,
I will try to help you with the answers to your questions!

TeachingMyToddlers wrote:
I am looking to pick SM back up with Lily, but where I always get stuck is knowing what fingers to use! It stops me in my tracks.

First of all, please, read some thoughts about fingering here (second post from the top. It would explain to you the gradual way to use fingers correctly.

www.softmozart.com/forum/20-hellene-hine...tml?limit=6&start=24

I basically have to pick a song, sit there and write down the finger sequence to ensure that I am teaching her correctly.

In the future, I wish there was a way to change the display from solfege images to note names AND to finger numbers for those who can already read the music.

The only problem here is that people of different ages and sizes of hands have different fingering and this is not 1 size for all deal. Did you teach your children 4 essential exercises to give them most important finers managing idea? Most of my students can pick up all the right fingers to the most of their piano pieces!

Or they could be color coded with a number inside so you would know the note and the finger number right offhand.

We have to be really careful with additional abstract information! Our goal is to FREE muscles and mind to build coordination and technique - no overload them. Everything has to be added gradually.

I don't think that's the direction SM is going to go, but I thought I would put that out there anyway. The option would be nice!

Let's talk about it a little later down the road!

Or, maybe there could be a way to print the sheet music with the finger numbers on it.

Of cause! Just press 6 for real notation and push the prt screen button. Copy/paste to Microsoft office and print out.

It's just time consuming to sit there and decode what the correct fingers are. So now I need to pick what song she can learn now and figure out the fingers.

Please, check our TEACHING VIDEOS section for polishing your future pieces:
www.softmozart.com/forum/55-teaching-videos.html

I would also recommend you to give me the latest video of Lily to watch. By her playing I can say, what repertoire we have to build and why, because piano pieces should be not only delicious, but nutritious too! ;)

Back to the Mozart

More
22 Jun 2013 07:14 #11123 by hellene
PS
Here is the video of our Soft Mozart student in the beginning of her lessons with Soft Mozart - and in 2 years. Please, watch very closely and you will see that your concerns about correct fingers from the very start is not as important as singing the notes names and gradually developing skills:

Back to the Mozart

More
22 Jun 2013 07:33 #11125 by Mrs.Post
TmT,

I am very hesitant to write what I am about to say, as I don't want to bad mouth another product that many of us use and enjoy. So, I am going to keep it vague. Especially since we use this product everyday.

I recommend getting Hellene's book, "You can be a musician." It is free. Then read it. Slowly. All the way through. Then put it down and read it again, slowly all the way through about 6 days later. Then again if you must. It was the third time through that I finally understood what Hellene is trying to do, and we removed all the colors off our keyboard and replaced all the cute and colored icons from this other program and either use black only or SM icons uncolored now. The colors are really a problem. Philip decided to start playing consistently when we removed the colors. Cayla wasn't able to make progress until we removed the colored stickers from the keyboard.

I've watched in disbelief the past few months as my kids are making progress much quicker. Traditional piano lessons are working off of muscle memory. They are training the fingers to do certain things. Suzuki lessons do the same thing. Muscle and ear memory for violin. The kids all take violin - so this is not a complaint, just the truth. But with Soft Mozart, you don't need to rely on this. They will figure it out on their own. It is like having to be patient when we were all waiting for our kids to read and worrying about it. It will come. It will. If you just look at the video Hellene posted, there is no teacher that can produce those kinds of results. It is the program. If you use it and all the exercises Hellene has posted and keep up with suggestions from the forum, your kids will figure it out. It will be way less stressful for both you and them. :)

More
22 Jun 2013 07:53 #11126 by TeachingMyToddlers
Hellene,

Here are her recital pieces from last week. I think she played longer/more difficult songs over Christmas though, which she learned on SM. (Joy to the World and Ode to Joy)

Oh, and just a note of explanation...she saw this cartoon image online and became convinced that it is the correct way to curtsy. :)

Anyway, here is her school wide recital where they played one song each:

And here is her graduation recital:

The following user(s) said Thank You: andreasro

More
22 Jun 2013 08:02 - 22 Jun 2013 08:21 #11127 by TeachingMyToddlers
We definitely have not had colors on our keys for a year now, so that is not an issue in our case. I actually think they were vital in initially encouraging her to use all of her fingers in the first place, so once she understood that you can use more than your index finger and she learned the placement of the keys, we took them off. We had been using SM for a while before that and she just pecked away with her index finger. So, different strokes for different folks I guess? Anyway, that issue is behind us anyway so I am not going to sweat it.

I just want to avoid training bad habits, you know? I will give the book another read, I have not read it in about a year or so.

If you look at her Christmas recital ( I think it is posted earlier in this thread?), I left her to her own devices with choosing her fingers and she has several incorrect crossovers. She then developed "muscle memory" for it from playing them incorrectly so many times and it was ingrained and too late for her teacher to correct before the recital.

She can read and sing music on pitch the first time through (though she can definitely get faster), has absolute pitch, transposes music, can memorize songs, etc, but does not use "correct" fingers so it's the main thing we are working on. There is room for improvement in all of those areas of course, but there is the most room when it comes to correct fingering. Overall, I like SM because it makes practice more efficient and gives immediate feedback. I very much want it to work for us. I think there are some mixed messages between the methodology here and what we are getting from her local teacher, so I have to take that into consideration.

But yes, I read the thread on fingering earlier this evening, I will try to reread the book again as well. It seems like tolerance of "kid finger placement" is like using "kid spelling" I guess, a bridge to the real thing.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2013 08:21 by TeachingMyToddlers.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds