fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

Shana, 2.5 yo

More
11 Feb 2016 00:35 - 11 Feb 2016 10:49 #22035 by tarasefanya
Shana, 2.5 yo was created by tarasefanya
Hello everyone,

I am Tara (27), currently living in Japan. I found this program on the web while browsing some learning ideas for my daughter. I’ve purchased the 12 months subscription yesterday. I couldn’t wait to start the program as soon as possible! :lol:

My daughter, Shana (2-year-6-month), very active, can't stop singing and jumping. She's on BK LR and LM since 1-year-old and by now she can sing in solfege and read words quite well. She doesn't have any problem concentrating but likes to intentionally make mistakes and laugh seeing our response. As much as I want her to be serious in taking lessons, I also want this journey to be fun and exciting.

She started using the free trial version of Gentle Piano 3 weeks ago, still not on daily basis.

First week:
- She was amused to see spiders popping up as she’s randomly pushing the keys
- I pasted the note names (C,D,E,F,G for RH) and (C,F,G for LH) that I made by myself
- Gentle Piano demo: I showed her how to play Ode to Joy properly using both hands and each hand separately. She tried playing the RH parts slowly with long pauses in between (talking, wanting to see the spiders, asking me to play some parts, asking me for her doll, etc :lol:) and the LH using her two index fingers. I tried to teach her the proper fingering for RH, but still she preferred her index finger.
- Guess Key demo: knows C in several octaves, D,E by looking at the stickers. Deliberately making mistakes or not pushing the notes in order to see the spiders. :S :lol:
- Playing time: 2-5 minutes for Gentle Piano (more than that she would start banging the keys in boredom), whenever she’s interested

Second week:
- We had limited practice time this week as we had to be away from our home for 4 days
- Gentle Piano demo: RH: still with her index finger, LH: started using two fingers (although most times she used her index or ring finger instead of her pinky for the bass C) but she was willing to be corrected. ;)

Third week:
- Major improvement. She started to play LH and RH altogether although still with her preferred fingering. At first, she was only willing to play 2 notes using both hands on each session. Gradually, she managed to play half of the song using both hands. I still don’t know how to make her finish the entire song, but I’m very proud of her progress.
- Guess Key demo: She’s grasped the idea that flat or sharp meant to be the black key next to the original one. Maybe that’s not the exact definition, I did tell her about half steps, but I think that what works for her now. As the game gets faster she would ran away giggling and wait until the fruits stopped falling then start again.
- This week we started playing Fruit Lines demo. I wasn’t sure she could navigate the keyboard to play this at first, but she surprised me. After only a couple of examples, she could play by herself even after the note names were gone and recognizes C,D,E (treble clef) and A,B,C (bass clef). She enjoys this game more than the other two.

I have several questions…
As you can see, we are currently using the alphabet system as our approach. I chose this initially because I thought it would be easier for her to read alphabet letters than to memorize solfege symbols from another language (we don’t speak English at home). Also, I was thinking that the alphabet system might be a good way for her to communicate with me along the way. I had several years of classical piano lessons back in my childhood but stopped playing piano entirely after entering medical school. Now I no longer sight-read and only play by ear based on chords. That being said, I’m starting to second-guess this decision. I saw the majority of you are using the solfege system. Plus, I heard that solfege system is great for developing relative-pitch. Do you think I should switch?

Right now we are saving money for our study. I was thinking to start my subscription plan after she’s mastered Ode to Joy both hands using proper fingering. That way it would be a much more efficient start. The reality is that she seemed to be a little bored with the song and until now only willing to concentrate up to half the song with her preferred fingering. There’s one time she reluctantly finished the song and only scored 29/48 516 for both hands. What do you think about this? Do you think she’s too little? What is the most efficient age to start this program? If you need to see her videos, I will post them here :)

Thank you for taking your time reading my story. I’m so happy to become a part of this community! We are now waiting for the learning materials to arrive. I hope I can update you with our progress video regularly. :cheer: :lol: :kiss:

Regards,
Tara

*Edited: I'm so so sorry! I wrote without reading about the lesson plans first! :ohmy: Other threads have also clarified some of my questions :P I'm going to study the forum deeper this week while waiting for the materials to arrive! :lol:
Last edit: 11 Feb 2016 10:49 by tarasefanya.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2016 13:32 #22041 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Shana, 2.5 yo
Dear Tara!
Welcome!
I am going to read and comment during the process :)

tarasefanya wrote: Hello everyone,

I am Tara (27), currently living in Japan. I found this program on the web while browsing some learning ideas for my daughter. I’ve purchased the 12 months subscription yesterday. I couldn’t wait to start the program as soon as possible! :lol:

My daughter, Shana (2-year-6-month), very active, can't stop singing and jumping. She's on BK LR and LM since 1-year-old and by now she can sing in solfege and read words quite well. She doesn't have any problem concentrating but likes to intentionally make mistakes and laugh seeing our response. As much as I want her to be serious in taking lessons, I also want this journey to be fun and exciting.

It is perfectly OK! All people (children and adults first go through 'autistic' stage of learning, when they are unable to line the priority straight and experiment with different aspects of the learning process. Intentionally making mistakes meaning exploration. She wants to see, what happen if... and what is going to be your reaction. Let her learn more at her pace and be patient. This is very healthy for her: she has a lot of learning energy and we gradually will teach her to control it,

She started using the free trial version of Gentle Piano 3 weeks ago, still not on daily basis.

First week:
- She was amused to see spiders popping up as she’s randomly pushing the keys

This is exactly how it supposed to be!

- I pasted the note names (C,D,E,F,G for RH) and (C,F,G for LH) that I made by myself

I recommend using Solfeggio icons. It will promote her voice, singing, music ear and memory. She will learn letter names very quickly.

- Gentle Piano demo: I showed her how to play Ode to Joy properly using both hands and each hand separately. She tried playing the RH parts slowly with long pauses in between (talking, wanting to see the spiders, asking me to play some parts, asking me for her doll, etc :lol:) and the LH using her two index fingers.

This piece is very hard for beginners. Too lengthy! Please, learn how to cut 2 bars at a time. (Press F1 to get all the hot keys for that or watch this video:

It is better to cut the piano piece then interest of your baby to learn :P

I tried to teach her the proper fingering for RH, but still she preferred her index finger.

Oh, my :woohoo: I am ready to kick myself for being late with writing my instructional book!
Please, watch the numbers on the right corner of the monitor. If the number is too high, she is still building her basic essentials and has no room for finger's management. Let her build eye-hand coordination and use whatever finger she feels comfortable at first. Gradually she will learn how to use all with the help of exercises and curriculum.
Here is a very fascinating video about a young beginner that started using all 5 fingers right during the recording:

It happens with children of ANY age and only depends of practice

- Guess Key demo: knows C in several octaves, D,E by looking at the stickers. Deliberately making mistakes or not pushing the notes in order to see the spiders. :S :lol:

Wonderful

- Playing time: 2-5 minutes for Gentle Piano (more than that she would start banging the keys in boredom), whenever she’s interested

Use her focus ability wisely. Look at these pictures: www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.442489...2883088098340&type=3
The best way is to stop the game BEFORE child is loosing attention. Start with minimum!

Second week:
- We had limited practice time this week as we had to be away from our home for 4 days
- Gentle Piano demo: RH: still with her index finger, LH: started using two fingers (although most times she used her index or ring finger instead of her pinky for the bass C) but she was willing to be corrected. ;)

Yes, children often try to use the fingers that they know how to use. It is great that your daughter is opened to the suggestions! Way to go!

Third week:
- Major improvement. She started to play LH and RH altogether although still with her preferred fingering. At first, she was only willing to play 2 notes using both hands on each session. Gradually, she managed to play half of the song using both hands. I still don’t know how to make her finish the entire song, but I’m very proud of her progress.

Cut and add gradually. She is building her eye-hand and both hands coordination. It is hard for her age!

- Guess Key demo: She’s grasped the idea that flat or sharp meant to be the black key next to the original one. Maybe that’s not the exact definition, I did tell her about half steps, but I think that what works for her now. As the game gets faster she would ran away giggling and wait until the fruits stopped falling then start again.

Smart little girl! All the 'games' are built on very advance algorithms and push too hard, if the child is young. In future she is going to deveop attention span with these modules. For now Run, baby, run! :P

- This week we started playing Fruit Lines demo. I wasn’t sure she could navigate the keyboard to play this at first, but she surprised me. After only a couple of examples, she could play by herself even after the note names were gone and recognizes C,D,E (treble clef) and A,B,C (bass clef). She enjoys this game more than the other two.

Wow! It seems like your child's logic level is above average. This is one of the hardest module in our package. Good start!

I have several questions…
As you can see, we are currently using the alphabet system as our approach. I chose this initially because I thought it would be easier for her to read alphabet letters than to memorize solfege symbols from another language (we don’t speak English at home). Also, I was thinking that the alphabet system might be a good way for her to communicate with me along the way. I had several years of classical piano lessons back in my childhood but stopped playing piano entirely after entering medical school. Now I no longer sight-read and only play by ear based on chords. That being said, I’m starting to second-guess this decision. I saw the majority of you are using the solfege system. Plus, I heard that solfege system is great for developing relative-pitch. Do you think I should switch?

You better switch. We incorporate the echoic memory as one of the point of support in learning: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echoic_memory
It works like a charm with babies.

Right now we are saving money for our study. I was thinking to start my subscription plan after she’s mastered Ode to Joy both hands using proper fingering. That way it would be a much more efficient start. The reality is that she seemed to be a little bored with the song and until now only willing to concentrate up to half the song with her preferred fingering. There’s one time she reluctantly finished the song and only scored 29/48 516 for both hands. What do you think about this? Do you think she’s too little? What is the most efficient age to start this program? If you need to see her videos, I will post them here :)

We are not waiting, when children 'ready' - we teach them from scratch. The song is way too long and hard for her. Start your subscription now and follow the lesson plans Prep A. As a medically educated person you know, how important to start building new neuron pathways for her development. 'Use it or lose' it we say. No hesitation: you have perfectly intelligent child that needs your attention.

Thank you for taking your time reading my story. I’m so happy to become a part of this community! We are now waiting for the learning materials to arrive. I hope I can update you with our progress video regularly. :cheer: :lol: :kiss:

Regards,
Tara

*Edited: I'm so so sorry! I wrote without reading about the lesson plans first! :ohmy: Other threads have also clarified some of my questions :P I'm going to study the forum deeper this week while waiting for the materials to arrive! :lol:

Its ok!
I answered your questions (I hope) and looking forward to watch your videos and to see your progress!

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: tarasefanya

More
11 Feb 2016 23:46 #22062 by tarasefanya
Replied by tarasefanya on topic Shana, 2.5 yo
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation, Hellene. You've clarified everything. Yes, we will definitely switch to using solfeggio icons and start gently from prep level A. I'm going to create a new thread under Progress Diaries For Lesson Plans Followers -- 2015-2016 and update our progress regularly.

More
13 Feb 2016 13:11 #22067 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Shana, 2.5 yo

tarasefanya wrote: Thank you very much for your detailed explanation, Hellene. You've clarified everything. Yes, we will definitely switch to using solfeggio icons and start gently from prep level A. I'm going to create a new thread under Progress Diaries For Lesson Plans Followers -- 2015-2016 and update our progress regularly.

Please, do! What is happening in this forum is very unique. We already have strong proof record of success of such a form of learning. Little children better learning at home, but parents have to learn the mastery of working with them. The results will be astonishing.

Back to the Mozart

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds