fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Welcome to the SoftMozart forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Homeschooler

More
07 Mar 2018 18:15 #28972 by PlayLiv
Homeschooler was created by PlayLiv
Hi, I recently started to homeschool my 8 yo daughter who has been taking piano lessons since she was 4.5. The way it was taught at the beginning was really good as it was more kinesthetic and more holistic. Overtime, the teachings became too mechanical, my daughter was losing interest and stopped wanting to practice at home. Just wondering who had this experience? how are you progressing with Soft Mozart? What is your view on how music should be taught? I would love to connect with more homeschoolers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2018 02:04 #28991 by adeline.hritcu
Replied by adeline.hritcu on topic Homeschooler
Hi,
I used to be a homescholer and loved it, but now my girls are in school first and second grade as I had to return to work.
I also have a little one at home staying with my mother while I am at work. I really do not like public schools :(
But we still go on with piano lessons at home as much as we can in a home school style.

We too have times when they lose interest and then they like it again for a while and the they loose interest again....
What we did and worked and I can recommend is:
1. For all the chores they do, including piano, they get a certain amount of minutes that they can use to watch cartoons/movies or do a computer game. They could also choose other activities they like, but almost 100% of the time they choose screen time. For example for doing a piano game 10-15 min and playing a song double the times their age, they get 30 mins.
2. Over the time we have bought a blockflote and first I started to learn how to play it in order to display how learning piano can also help you progress in playing other instruments as well. After the blockflote we tried a violin which we boroughed from a friend and now we just bought 2 guitars (for the two girls) and we experiment on them. These are somehow making us use more time for music in our home. For example while the little 3 yr old plays "Hot Cross Buns" my oldest plays the same notes or chords on the guitar.

Hope this gave you a few ideas. And as for me I hope I can also find more ideas for my kids as well.

Best Regards,
Adeline

More
09 Mar 2018 17:34 #28992 by PlayLiv
Replied by PlayLiv on topic Homeschooler
Thank you Adeline. Are you following the lesson plans from soft Mozart?
Cindy
The following user(s) said Thank You: adeline.hritcu

More
10 Mar 2018 13:56 #29001 by andreasro
Replied by andreasro on topic Homeschooler
Hi!

I'm a homeschooler and I've been using Soft Mozart on and off since 2012. The reason for that is just that I had a hectic life.

We moved from Romania to Canada and we are working on starting from scratch with most of our kids (we have kids from 2 separate marriages). We've always used SM lessons plans and also I let my boys choose their songs to practice in Gentle Piano.

It depends on what is best for your kids. Some are stimulated by the online contests so following the lessons plans and doing the tasks is an amazing thing for them.

Regarding the lessons plans, we shall follow them in our family because Hellene created the lessons with a goal in mind. Each step and lesson has a purpose. I am not a musician and I am self-taught mostly. I've always used myself as a model for the kids. I've always learnt and used the program myself first and the kids came to play too just because mom was doing it.

This is the best music method that goes in line with Gattegno's teaching about math and life: Subordinating Teaching to Learning and guided discovery. It is the child making the discoveries. The teacher is there to guide not to pour information. That is what I love about SM when it comes to music - I, the learner, have the freedom to have my own discoveries, to challenge myself the way I like, to prove to myself how good I am and how far I can go ON MY OWN.

Hope this helps :)

Andrea
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene, Olga Egorova, adeline.hritcu

More
11 Mar 2018 06:25 #29012 by adeline.hritcu
Hi,

Andreea said it really well. Maybe my post sounded more discouraging because i said how we motivated our kids sometimes.
I am sorry about this, but as Andreea also said: we had a very active life and our family went through a lot of situations where we had to adapt to very different schedules. I know it easn't easy for us and it wasn't easy for our kids either.
But soft Mozart has always been with us. And this is the best part about it that it adapts to our needs and we alwasy found ways to make it work through the past 5 yrs.
None of us are mussically inclined so I had to follow Hellen's teaching plan. By doing this I always stood by the girls taking turns in playing and singing. This way I can also read music.
When i returned to work as my time is so little now, the girls are doing it all on their own and i am amazed how well they sefl teach them selves. My 9yr old also teaches her 3yr old brother and it is priceless. That is why this year they pick out the songs themselves and just go at their own pace. But even the 3yr old knows how well he is doing by the simple graphic of SM.
So far this has worked out for us just great. Hope it does for you too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene

More
11 Mar 2018 06:37 #29013 by adeline.hritcu
I have reccomended SM to all our friends, but because parent's work they do not see them selves able to teach their kids.
I am so thankfull i had a few years at home with my kids to get them started.
And I appreciate what you and Andreea are doing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds