fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Learning experience

Do you teach SM to your children daily?

More
12 Sep 2012 18:22 #5572 by joy mum
Hi everyone,

I am a newbie to this forum, and hope to learn from Hellene and Manda, as well as other veteran parents in the music world.

I just have 2 questions which I hope you could help me with:

1. Do you do SM with your children daily? Is it at your request or your child's request? I am unsure if I should be more disciplined and set a fixed time daily for SM with my daughter (she is 4 years old), or I should just continue what I am currently doing, which is to let her decide when she wants to play SM? I am worried that if I set a fixed timetable, she may feel like its a chore, instead of enjoying the session.

2. My daughter is a bit of a perfectionist in that she likes to do things she knows she can do well, but is more reserved in trying new things, as she doesn't like to make mistakes. Does any other parents have kids who are like that also, and if so, how did you manage to draw him/her into trying new songs on SM? So far, she has played Ode to Joy and Three Blind Mice, which I was happy with, as we do not play SM daily. I try to get her to play other songs, but she is reluctant to try something new. Suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2012 02:16 #5578 by hellene
Hi. joy mum!
Welcome!

joy mum wrote: Hi everyone,

I am a newbie to this forum, and hope to learn from Hellene and Manda, as well as other veteran parents in the music world.

I just have 2 questions which I hope you could help me with:

1. Do you do SM with your children daily?

It i up to you! Soft Mozart is like Montessori material. It works between 'sessions'. I am experiencing this phenomena again: after summer break non of my students lost any skills. In contrary, they play and read music even better then at the school year end. I think, smart learning ought to be this way, because it is based on established skills and abilities.

So, just listen to your heart and... share your experience on this forum. Especially keep track of the numbers. By them we'll be able to help you to decide, how many times is most effective for our kids to practice!

Is it at your request or your child's request?

Good question! ;) I would set once a week as 'day for tests and rewards', when kids will show me, how much the learned so far (if kids are 6+ yar old). With younger kids I would do 5-10 minutes sessions here and there to build their attention span first (our software is a great stimulator for that)

I am unsure if I should be more disciplined and set a fixed time daily for SM with my daughter (she is 4 years old), or I should just continue what I am currently doing, which is to let her decide when she wants to play SM?

I would do combination of two. 4-year-old kids needs to learn discipline and appreciate that. Try to be a 'leader' and 'guide' during her learning experience. To make piano learning a routine pretend that it is like... brushing teeth every morning. Teeth has to be clean and we use our parents authority and time for doing that. If kids would decide to do it after every meal... well... good for them! :P

I am worried that if I set a fixed timetable, she may feel like its a chore, instead of enjoying the session.

If you will monitor her success in exact figures and let her know that she beat her last score, the chore will turn into successful learning.

2. My daughter is a bit of a perfectionist in that she likes to do things she knows she can do well, but is more reserved in trying new things, as she doesn't like to make mistakes. Does any other parents have kids who are like that also, and if so, how did you manage to draw him/her into trying new songs on SM?

I pay them twice as much for new piece ( I use 'music money, you know :P )

So far, she has played Ode to Joy and Three Blind Mice, which I was happy with,

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Wow!!!

as we do not play SM daily. I try to get her to play other songs, but she is reluctant to try something new. Suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks

I wish to know more about your daughter progress. Can you record playing at least one song to see her progress? You may record just her hands. It would help me to choose the best strategy for her development!

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: andreasro, joy mum

More
13 Sep 2012 05:01 #5590 by joy mum
Dear Hellene,

Thank you so much for taking so much time and effort to answer my questions in such great detail. Much appreciated :cheer:

I was at the point when I didn't know how else to proceed with SM lessons, as I didn't want to make it seem like a chore for her. Thanks for your suggestions! I really like the music money idea, will try that to see if it will encourage my daughter to try new music pieces. Will let her 'redeem' her money for treats like a game on the computer, etc.

Thanks once again for your enthusiam and personal interest in not only my daughter's progress but also all other SM kids! Will try to take a video of her playing Ode to Joy and post it here, so you can advice how we can progress from there. Thanks very much!

More
13 Sep 2012 07:19 #5592 by Mandabplus3
Joy mum, we do try our very best to play softmozart every day. Now our lives are very full here but music education is very important to me, so although a week or I suppose even a month may go by with no piano playing, we do still aim for daily playing.
How long they play for is far less important to me. I am perfectly happy with one attempt at a song of their choice. This may seem strange to some parents but my goals may be a little different to others. I want all of us to be able to play piano and enjoy music. I am not aiming for any of my children ( or myself) to be concert pianists. Already it is clear to me that this is not a career my kids would choose. As such we are a little flexible in practice schedules. They have years of wonderful, joyful piano learning ahead of them and will clearly all be adults who can walk up to a piano and bang out an acceptable fun tune.
I also find that by focussing on daily practice we actually get more overall piano time, even if the sessions are quite short. It is so easy to let a week slip by with no playing. Progress is made through practice. Plain and simple.
As 4 of us play here the fact that one of us starts to practice draws in the rest...a que at our piano is common!

Usually it's an equal mix of my kids deciding to practice and me insisting they practice. In this house if I say I want to hear that piano my kids know it isn't negotiable. I do think that is important to work towards. As in teh long run, practice gets more important. I always support their lessons, I am always close by or next to them to help. Truly they need that support to remain enthusiastic. Keeping it fun for the first few years is important. You don't want them to hate piano before they get good at it.
They all like to know their scores are improving and all find that very motivating. Often they will continue to practice just to beat their best score.
Hope that helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene, andreasro, joy mum

More
14 Sep 2012 01:14 #5620 by ttteh
Joy mum,

I have a 4.5 year old daughter. We have been using softmozart for about 1.5 years. You will be able to see how much your child and yourself is going to benefit from this program with practice. As for our family, we set a time to play every afternoon before our outdoor activity in late afternoon. She look at it as the outdoor activity would be the reward after piano practice. However, there are some days she will tell me that she is tired and we are not able to make time for it, we will still go out for outdoor activity.

Usually after each practice of song my daughter will ask me what is her previous score and if she is doing better this time. I will stay next to her every practice session singing the solfege with her. As for trying new songs, we play the songs for her to listen at the same time be cheerful and clap to the tune. When my daughter see the upbeat attitute she is more willing to try. Recently I ask her to play a song with over 400 notes in it with both hands . When she saw the number, she was reluctant to play and told me to cut the song. I cut the song for her. We are flexible with our practice and I accomodate to her request.

Pei Lin
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene, andreasro, joy mum

More
16 Sep 2012 17:09 #5649 by joy mum
Dear Mandabplus3 and Pei Lin,

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with SM! Its helpful to know what helps to keep your children's enthusiasm going.

I had made some music money like what Hellene had done (am attaching it in case it could be of use to other parents) as a reward for my daughter. I gave 1 point for each treble clef and 2 points for each bass clef. If she plays a new song, she gets a bass clef (thanks for the idea, Hellene!), and if she collects 5 points, she gets to play a computer game of her choice.

Unfortunately, it only worked for a while. The first day, she collected 2 points for playing the C scale, from C to C with right hand and left hand. The 2nd day, she played the Guess Key Game, Note Duration Game and Ode to Joy. After that, she said she was tired. So, we stopped our practice after that. Have not played again after that. Will keep you posted further how our music money program works ;)
Music Money (treble n bass clefs).pptx

Music Money (treble n bass clefs).pptx
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds