fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Learning experience

Method Vs Tools

More
11 Sep 2011 22:27 - 11 Sep 2011 23:32 #40 by hellene
Method Vs Tools was created by hellene
The difference between a “Method” and a tool for it.

Yesterday I was sending a message to all my Facebook friends asking them to place the information about “Soft Way to Mozart” ® on their blogs and also to visit the page: www.facebook.com/pages/Soft-Mozart/152883088098340 and click the LIKE button there.

One of the piano teachers and author of her own teaching method replied to me politely. She said that with all due respect to my “method,” she won’t promote it because her goal is to promote her business and she sees my invention as competition for hers.

It made me think . . . Is there something wrong with our company’s explanations if many teachers think of us as a “method of teaching piano and music” in addition to all the other different methods of teaching piano and music out there? I wrote to the teacher: “Ma’am, as long as you are using Grand Staff and traditional notation in teaching your students, our invention would be VERY useful in your class!” I so hope that my message will awaken her natural curiosity to find out more.

Through the years (even centuries), many piano teachers and the majority of the population developed the concept that music notation needs interpretation. “Methods of interpreting” a music score became the very essence of piano lessons. The process brought huge confusion about the etymology of the words “method” and “tool.”

What does the word “method” mean? “Method” (from the Greek μέθοδος — “a way through”) is a systematic set of steps that are required to perform a specific task or achieve a certain goal, a way of comprehending the truth.

Because I have been a piano teacher for many years, I am absolutely positive that all piano teachers see their ultimate goal as effectively teaching students to play the piano and READ MUSIC – not in exalting their own “methods.”

And if the targeted result is the ability of a student to play piano and sight read music, any tool that can accelerate the process should be welcomed with every teacher’s heart and soul! Right?

And now we come to a very interesting and unique situation in the world of teaching piano and music. Before “Soft Way to Mozart” ® existed, any music text needed interpretation – thus, an interpreter, usually a piano teacher. I know that’s the role I played with my students. Today, the interpretation of sheet music has become and unfortunately still IS the core of all teaching “methods.” And if a music score can become “visible” and understandable from the very start, these “methods” are simply losing the very foundation on which they all stand! We never like to lose our foundation, but because of “Soft Way to Mozart” ®, HOURS of time spent on theory and explanation are now unnecessary and could be spent more effectively.

I understand that the position of any piano teacher here is very uncomfortable. Just as I did when I taught before inventing “Soft Way to Mozart” ®, teachers are trying their best to create stories about sharps and flats, fairy tales about Middle C and all the notes on the lines and spaces. We have all developed our own gradual sequence of music pieces upon the “hand position” technique for students to remember, teaching them how fingers and keys are connected through muscle memory. And – boom! – now there is apparently a simple, visual way, and many teachers fear that ALL their previous work is suddenly a waste of time and energy.

Sometimes the situation reminds me of the period in human history when the auto was invented. Of course, the producers of horse-drawn carts and their supplements as well as hay-seller middlemen were pretty upset. So should people have stopped using cars to support their business? Not likely. While we may be more comfortable with “the way things have always been done,” perhaps it’s time to try a new tool – not a new method, just a different tool to help you achieve your goals for all your students. If it doesn’t work for you, you can always go back to your previous tools—but I’ll bet you won’t! Riding in a car is pretty nice.

I wish to hear YOUR opinion on this!

Back to the Mozart
Last edit: 11 Sep 2011 23:32 by hellene.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NadiaD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2011 00:59 #94 by ttteh
Replied by ttteh on topic Method Vs Tools
I agree with you that piano teachers should use this tool to teach their students to play music as softmozart accelerates piano learning and students sight read in a very natural and gentle way. I wish that all piano teachers would understand that the conventional learning method is slow and some students may not be able to play well after many years of learning.

Kudos to you for creating such wonderful tool to help the new generation learn music easily.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds