fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Learning experience

PROGESS IN PIANO PLAYING SKILLS

• pianolover
  • pianolover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Mar 2012 19:36 #2314 by pianolover
PROGESS IN PIANO PLAYING SKILLS was created by pianolover
I don't know why but I got stuck in the basic level of the SM method. I went through the music library and could play the most easier pieces, and now I'm trying to move ahead but it seems I can't. In my case I feel like there's a gap between the beginner pieces and the more advanced ones. I'm trying to find the next piece to play which would be more appropriate level wise for me to be able to play. I've finished the following books: Introductory songs, Nursery songs Primer, Nursery songs 1, Favorite classics primer, Favorite classics 1, 2 and 3; Boogie 1 and 2, Christmas Carols, Christmas classics, I've practiced some of the solfeggios, and I even tied some of the pieces in the Nutcracker Book, but "Arab Dance" was the only one I was able to play there. Then I tried Arabesque from Pieces and Etudes 2. I'm glad I was able to play it. But that's it. Someone please help me close this gap. :( Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2012 20:48 #2315 by hellene

pianolover wrote: I don't know why but I got stuck in the basic level of the SM method. I went through the music library and could play the most easier pieces, and now I'm trying to move ahead but it seems I can't. In my case I feel like there's a gap between the beginner pieces and the more advanced ones. I'm trying to find the next piece to play which would be more appropriate level wise for me to be able to play. I've finished the following books: Introductory songs, Nursery songs Primer, Nursery songs 1, Favorite classics primer, Favorite classics 1, 2 and 3; Boogie 1 and 2, Christmas Carols, Christmas classics, I've practiced some of the solfeggios, and I even tied some of the pieces in the Nutcracker Book, but "Arab Dance" was the only one I was able to play there. Then I tried Arabesque from Pieces and Etudes 2. I'm glad I was able to play it. But that's it. Someone please help me close this gap. :( Thanks.

Hi, Pianolover!

I am very happy to see this question! I subscribed to your You Tube channel and was watching your videos with the great deal of interest being very proud of your progress. Some pieces that you recorded were not from our program. Did you learn them from the sheet music?

There is a saying stating that' there are no limit of perfectness!' - it is hard to disagree to that. The more students learn – the more they want to know. Only half-educated think that they know everything.

I am glad that you asked this question, because the pieces that you had learned so far and listed in your post I would call 'adapted' piano pieces. What is it mean? When I was in school learning English, we were using English texts 'adapted' for students (maybe, this is the main reason, why I still struggle to express myself in this language freely and even write with ‘accent’ :P )

1, Favorite classics primer, Favorite classics 1, 2 and 3; Boogie 1 and 2, Christmas Carols, Christmas classics and Nutcracker had been created for beginners based on some stable 'hand positions' and patterns ‘technique’. They are promoting eye/hand coordination at some point, but not genuine professional piano technique.

The 'real things' that is going to help you are in Albums with not adapted pieces. Seeing and hearing you playing, I would recommend you to start learning pieces from ‘Tchaikovsky Children’s Album’, for example.

Do not let the name to fool you! There are many challenges in it. We just recently downloaded some MP3 files from the Album. Listen to the pieces here or using your own Soft Mozart program by pressing S and let me know, what pieces are most appealing to you (if any) – and will recommend, which one will be more effective for your piano growth.
www.softmozart.com/curriculum/music-libr...i/2-tchaikovsky.html
Let’s be in touch more often!

Back to the Mozart

More
02 Mar 2012 21:34 #2318 by Mandabplus3
What a lovely predicament to be in :) coming from a beginner ;)
Did you find something that is too hard that you love the sound of? Often sticking with a challenge, chipping it off piece by piece can make a big difference to your overall skills. If you can crack one hard piece you will find the level down from that easier from then on. I guess that's why Helene says one piece should be challenging and sight reading should be technically easier. Anyway just thinking out loud...
Could we hear more about your learning?
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene

• pianolover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Mar 2012 14:15 #2337 by pianolover
Replied by pianolover on topic PROGESS IN PIANO PLAYING SKILLS
Hi Hellene,
Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked in that album already and found them very difficult to play, but I liked some of the pieces and would be interested in trying to learn them, not all of them, just a few such as: waltz, Italian song, old french song, German song and Neapolitan song. I don't feel like learning the other ones. I have this thing that if a certain piece does not interest me, I feel discouraged to work on it. I don't know if other people have experienced this type of thing. I'll give them a try, though. I'll let you know. Thank you again.

• pianolover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Mar 2012 14:22 #2338 by pianolover
Oh, I had forgotten to answer your question about the other pieces you watched me playing on YouTube which are not from SM. They're from another piano course I took and "Love Story" I learned from a tutorial on YouTube. But I don't think that learning from tutorials is the best way of learning piano because we end up copying the other person's mistakes.

• pianolover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Mar 2012 14:28 #2339 by pianolover
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take your advice. You will certainly hear more about my learning.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds