fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Learning experience

Stopping while playing to figet or scratch

More
29 Aug 2013 00:04 - 29 Aug 2013 00:05 #11679 by lesliejack
Does anyone else have this problem? My son who is five stops several times while playing a song to fidget or scratch or adjust the keyboard buttons. It can take several minutes to get through a song and sometimes I think it contributes to him loosing his place it the song.

I have laid down rules about no more adjusting the buttons during a song but I am unsure what to do about the rest.

Is this developmentally normal for his age? We are dealing with other health issues so I am unsure if this is normal or something I should attribute to his health issues. Is the best thing to do to be patient and wait it out? Or is it something that kids do that requires some boundaries in order to stop?

Thanks for any thought you might have.
Terri
Last edit: 29 Aug 2013 00:05 by lesliejack.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2013 08:39 #11685 by andreasro
Some ideas:

- cover the keyboard, leave only the keys uncovered; you can cover even the keys or screen for a certain hand to help for concentration
- cut the musical piece in smaller sections, this way he can concentrate on it better (see the User Manual, under Gentle Piano section, it has a link to video also).

More
29 Aug 2013 17:41 #11689 by hellene

lesliejack wrote: Does anyone else have this problem? My son who is five stops several times while playing a song to fidget or scratch or adjust the keyboard buttons. It can take several minutes to get through a song and sometimes I think it contributes to him loosing his place it the song.

What piano piece is he practicing?

I have laid down rules about no more adjusting the buttons during a song but I am unsure what to do about the rest.

We are working on puppet shows about these issues to develop proper learning habits for children. Meanwhile we are using 'music money'. Each time, when child follows the rule, we give him a 'flag' or 'butterfly' made off construction paper. At the end of the lesson we count, how much child collected and reward him with something that he likes. But you have to be really honest in giving and taking away 'music dollars' and expain, why did you reward and why you took it. It has to be fair!

Is this developmentally normal for his age?

Absolutely! Always write the scores down and each time, when the time (on the right) is getting better, give your son a reward (music money)
Look at this video:

Watch Lee's daughter BEFORE and AFTER.

Please, don't focus on what he should or shouldn't be able to do at his age. Just keep writing the score. You will be amazed, how numbers will be changing gradually! B)

We are dealing with other health issues so I am unsure if this is normal or something I should attribute to his health issues. Is the best thing to do to be patient and wait it out? Or is it something that kids do that requires some boundaries in order to stop?

Thanks for any thought you might have.
Terri

Terri, I asked you at the very beginning, what piace do you practice. Cut just couple of bars of the piece and make his task shorter. But let him feel accomplishment and satisfaction!

For now you may do 1 things:
Please, let me know the score - name of piece, numbers from the left and number on the right

After that we may schedule some Skype session.

Back to the Mozart

More
03 Sep 2013 18:26 #11773 by msadrienne
Hi Terri,

My kids are 6 and 9, and when they were first using SM they were both just like this on many occasions! :) I think it is normal for them to want to push all the buttons and see what happens. Sometimes as parents and teachers, we are much more goal-oriented than the student/child. We have to remember that they are always learning, no matter what it looks like to us.

That said, I will second Andrea's idea of covering the portion of the keyboard not being used, and even covering the computer keys if necessary (careful not to accidentally overheat the machine, of course), and Hellene's suggestion to offer small rewards for playing -- to create instant behavioral feedback for him. This doesn't work with my daughter, so I think some of it comes down to personality and knowing which battles to pick. ;)

Just so you know you are not alone in the fidgeting and not going quickly through a piece, some days my son would only want to play about 8 notes and then stop. I let him, and he would keep pressing the S and moving the arrows up and down to move forward and back and play with the software like a toy. I feel that this is his way of getting used to using it and when he is ready he will sit down and play.

Best of luck to you,and I hope you and your son are having fun with piano! :)

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds