fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

Mom of 5 3rd lesson with Hellene

• Pianomom5
  • Pianomom5's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Jun 2012 15:29 #4695 by Pianomom5
Mom of 5 3rd lesson with Hellene was created by Pianomom5
Hi All,

Well, after our recital, we had a one week break and the kids were begging to get another lesson. When we finally went back, we had a new addition to the classes. My 17 year old decided to try it because my 5 yr old daughter is visiting out of state with my mom.

Hellene commented about how Rylan, my 14 yr old did so well with Robot Rock. He really had a swing to the song that she said was way beyond where he should be for just starting out. He has a good ear and is very quick to memorize instead of read notes so we will have to keep that in mind with him.

So, Hellene said that we need to practice with the chords and had each of us do Level 1 c major solfeggio & Chords songs. She said that once we learn the chords we can listen to any music and play. Nolan went first and I was really impressed at how quickly he picked up.

We also worked on all the nursery primer songs. The hour went by qucikly. I am really quite pleasantly surprised that the program really works. I was a bit skeptical because I had taken traditional piano lessons as a child and it was slow to start and by the time I really wanted to play something "cool" I was already bored of practicing the same CDE, CDE song.

So, after seeing Nolan sit down on the program and pick the nutcracker song...(I chuckled), it wasn't too long before he started playing a few notes. Now, that wasn't the song that Hellene assigned him. She gave him, Halloween Boogie as a challenge and he accepted. It is fun for him to practice because, he can hear the song if he gets a bit lost and it's fun! It really is like having Hellene with us at home too. Rylan, my 14yrd old was given Circus Rag to work on. He will be out of town for half of July and half of August so he may be working on that for a while!

I was curious to see what my 17 yr old tough guy thought of our lesson because I know he would have been rather playing xbox on his down time. However, he told me it was fun. Now, he didn't start with hot cross buns because he had already done that at home but he got one out of Favorite Classics 1...I can't remember the name....and possibly another called Largo. So, we will see his progress.

The best thing about the program, I think so far, is that it make the kids want to practice and want to learn songs that would have taken them at least a year or two to play. I am still wondering how that will convert to them playing on the regular piano...although Rylan and Nolan did at the recital.

I was given Radeisky March and Poloveizian Dance....(sp?) Since I have a little background from when I was a child, I do enjoy this much more because it allows me to play easier then if I had to stop and read each note to begin with. The problem is that I really would like to practice more but alas....mom duties call my name.

So, all in all, I am very happy that we are also having lessons with Hellene instead of just doing the program at home...although, I can see where if we didn't have that opportunity, we could most certainly be successful without a "live" teacher. It is just nice to have her give her personal touch as to how to play, what to listen for and have her decide what we should be doing. The last part makes it easier on me!!! Stay tuned...not sure if we are going to take break off because I have kids coming and going from visits with out of state grandparents but we will see...I will keep you all updated.
By the way, to the mom that posted that she felt her brain after practicing so hard...I felt not a headache but something after playing that I thought....hmmm maybe this is good to help me use both sides of my brain!! It is great for the kiddos too!! I am curious to see how their grades will do this coming school year that starts in August.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2012 22:55 #4729 by Mandabplus3
Ahha! I am not crazy! Other people's brains hurt too! There were two of us complaining of brain strain...you make three! Isn't it great to find something to make your muscle work so hard!
So after reading all that I am completely jealous! and I want t join in your music classes!
You are all making such great progress. It's lovely to hear. Plus as you post it makes it easier for me to choose pieces for my lot, as we are also all on different levels.thank you!

More
02 Jul 2012 15:48 #4751 by omshree
Hi,
rightly said manda.As Hellene is based in USA it is great that some of the members in the forum also getting chance to take lessons from hellene.I don't know how feasible it is but, It would be nice if hellene comes up with videos of her live music lessons posted in the forum to make it more lively learning experience.

at the moment i'm lacking the motivation.Any tips please.

Thanks
Om

More
02 Jul 2012 22:04 #4753 by Mandabplus3
Om that's a pretty good idea. I know lots of the forum members like to watch the videos. Personally I prefer to read, but some things can't be put into words as well. Some recorded lessons might just give an edge to those with little or no music experience. I like it!
Motivation for piano learning comes from actually doing piano. I know it's the single most annoying thing about learning music! :P Once you start you rememeber why you want to play music. Routine gets you to the piano. Goals will push you to practice. Maybe a mini competition? What do you motivation with specifically?

• Pianomom5
  • Pianomom5's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Oct 2012 01:34 #6360 by Pianomom5
Replied by Pianomom5 on topic Mom of 5 3rd lesson with Hellene
Hi Om,
Hellene did put one of our lessons on YouTube. Have you seen them? I did a few that I haven't loaded yet because I did them on my phone and when I try to email them to load on YouTube, the file is too big. I will try again! I think seeing it helps so much.

Happy practicing!
Sandra

More
20 Oct 2012 18:42 #6387 by omshree
Hi sandra,
thanks for your post mentioning abt hellene's youtube videos.I haven't yet watched them.I would look at them.I haven't been good in recording my little one's playing and putting them in progress diaries.I'm not a techno person.When i see progress diaries posted by other parents i feel guilty.
Thanks to andrea as well who is very motivating.
Hope i get in to a habit of recording my little one's playing and put them in the forum soon.Recently she is also skipping her practice.Again hope for happy practicing soon.
Look forward for youtube initiatives and regular forum visits.

Rgds to all,
Om

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds