fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Learning experience

BIG Piano to Hop On & Incorporate Movement & Music

More
08 Mar 2012 12:24 - 08 Mar 2012 12:25 #2419 by QueRiquita
So, I took some time from sleeping last night and got on here to finally read some of everyone else's posts, and I came across a thread from Nadia describing how she placed large solfege images on the floor and had izzabella hopping up and down it. Well, I was thinking about this and how I wanted to do with Joey, but wanted him to really understand that each one wasn't just an image, but a sound. SO! This got me thinking about the BIG piano. And I thought, how great to get one and paste those images on it, so that the kids can hop back and forth and more easily understand and have fun while learning solfege.

I did a quick search and came across this one: www.amazon.com/HSC-SLW988-Gigantic-Keybo.../ref=pd_rhf_cr_p_t_2 , as well as many others, several under $50, including shipping!

I wanted to get your opinion, though.

My concern is ... Do you think it's a BIG deal if this piano isn't PERFECT pitch? Do you think it'll make things worse? Or still help to reinforce solfege.

And while I'm asking:
I'm wondering about static solfege (is that even the proper term) and moving solfege (again, not sure of terminology). It is ok to teach static for now, yes? When do we introduce the concept that it can move? And WHY would we let it move? Personally, I find signing the letters just as easy as singing do,re,mi,fa,so,la,ti,do - is this just me? Are we teaching solfege just because it is supposed to make singing easier?? Why not just teach the letters and their corresponding sounds? Maybe this is already on here and I am not searching well, so if someone could help point me in the right direction, I'd be quite thankful :-) I'm not a music person, clearly, so was wondering.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2012 12:25 by QueRiquita.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2012 22:00 #2439 by Mandabplus3
The giant piano looks fun, we had a smaller version about 1 metre and the kids loved it. I think if it isn't perfect pitch it won't be too much of a problem so long as it is close, which I imagine it would be. Your kids will get their perfect pitch fro using gentle piano and the games especially guess key. It's a gradual learning process step by step, the giant piano could be part of step one, learning that notes sound different and that they have associated symbols. Giant piano hop scotch is bound to get their interest. Getting their interest is important to overall success. I wouldn't buy the giant piano just to help teach softmozart, it isn't needed BUT if your kids will enjoy it and you think they will get your money's worth out of it then go ahead.
We teach/learn solfege as it is easier to make connections from the note sounds to the solfege words than to the ABC names. I learnt music for 4 years and didn't get as much ear training ( perfect pitch training) in four years as I have in 2 months using soft Mozart in solfege. If there is one thing I am more sure of than anything else it is that we should learn music first in solfege then learn ABC. it is also much easier to sing do re me than to sing CDE and stay in key. Do sounds similar to the note of C as it comes from your mouth, the letter name C does not sound like the note C and thus it is harder to sing in tune. Singing while we play is very very important. I keep learning this lesson over and over as I experience it! (sigh...slow learner sometimes) definitely teach in solfege!
I don't think it matters one bit to our kids if DO moves or not, I know mine havnt needed to know anything about this yet, it is an advanced skill far off into the distance. Embrace the now :)

More
10 Mar 2012 04:56 #2443 by QueRiquita
thanks so much for that reply! i keep going back and forth on the piano - it is quite expensive and i wonder if it's really 'needed'. as you wrote, it's really not, so i doubt we'll be getting it. after seeing a few videos with 3 year olds doing perfect pitch exercises, i'm really excited about the possibility and think that we'll just stick to singing, like you said, and playing for now. i'll keep updating and definitely embrace the now :-)

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds