fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

Melody, 5 year 1 month, USA, level 2

• Mel02
  • Mel02's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Nov 2013 21:56 #12369 by Mel02
We have be behind schedule. Thanks Helen for skype with us even when she didn't fully recover from sickness. We finally figured out it should be here to do posts for this year.

Melody went to Kindergarden this fall and we still need to force more routine discipline so we can have more time for things.

Melody has been doing Guess Key Game, it is hard for her to stay 5 minutes there. She did well in first couple of minutes then would be moving around. We started use some screen to block the tree, so she would do it by most ear while still able to see the score. Most time, around 26 seconds, she was able to move the first tree. The score is about 300+ around 5 minutes.

She is doing the recommended songs "O Christmas tree", "Joy xx Sainta" and doing Hannon#2. And in Music appreciation, we are so impressed with "in the Hall of mountain king", we also spend some time there. For sight reading or music playing, I am trying to explain her the way of moving finger least and knowing where each finger is at. And avoid looking at keyboard and hand when looking at the music sheet.

And since we are doing stretch between 1st finger and other fingers in Hannon#1 and #2, we try to apply it to these over the songs playing. No finger move, just stretch to cover 6 keys or 7 keys.

Is this right direction? We have been doing sight-reading for quite a while, sometime, it is not that she does not know the key, but her finger just play it own and at the wrong place. I figure she has to fix something for better play or shall we just wait for her to develop this naturally without putting "the least move" rule?

In the note duration part, she can do well in game, she once got to the final level 21. But she did not seem to map when in note duration to real world. And not really also by ear. Any suggestion here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mel02
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Nov 2013 15:58 #12371 by Mel02
Replied by Mel02 on topic Melody, 5 year 1 month, USA, level 2
Where is last year curriculum and also music dictation for Summer and Chord fun for the early Summer. Could not find them any more. They are very good material.

Shouldn't we keep them too?

More
19 Nov 2013 19:58 #12372 by hellene
Yes! You are absolutely right!
We re-published the section!

Back to the Mozart

More
19 Nov 2013 20:16 #12374 by hellene

Mel02 wrote: We have be behind schedule. Thanks Helen for skype with us even when she didn't fully recover from sickness. We finally figured out it should be here to do posts for this year.

Melody went to Kindergarden this fall and we still need to force more routine discipline so we can have more time for things.

Melody has been doing Guess Key Game, it is hard for her to stay 5 minutes there. She did well in first couple of minutes then would be moving around.

Please, give her 1-2 minutes. This is very intense, but useful game. Leave it, when she shows first signs of losing concentration. We have to keep positive re-enforcement and very slowly and gradually increase the time.

We started use some screen to block the tree, so she would do it by most ear while still able to see the score. Most time, around 26 seconds, she was able to move the first tree. The score is about 300+ around 5 minutes.

She is developing perfect pitch. This is wonderful!

She is doing the recommended songs "O Christmas tree", "Joy xx Sainta" and doing Hannon#2. And in Music appreciation, we are so impressed with "in the Hall of mountain king", we also spend some time there. For sight reading or music playing, I am trying to explain her the way of moving finger least and knowing where each finger is at. And avoid looking at keyboard and hand when looking at the music sheet.

Good! It develops naturally with Soft Mozart. Little focus on that from you is helpful.

And since we are doing stretch between 1st finger and other fingers in Hannon#1 and #2, we try to apply it to these over the songs playing. No finger move, just stretch to cover 6 keys or 7 keys.

Yes! :woohoo: The exercises are really helpful for development of such skills.

Is this right direction?

So far, yes!

We have been doing sight-reading for quite a while, sometime, it is not that she does not know the key, but her finger just play it own and at the wrong place. I figure she has to fix something for better play or shall we just wait for her to develop this naturally without putting "the least move" rule?

When you sight read, please, set a goal for her: let's make no more then 5 mistakes, for example. If she achieve the goal, she receives a 'butterfly' or music dollar :P Teach her to think before pressing the key. Right (time ) number irrelevant in this exercise.

In the note duration part, she can do well in game, she once got to the final level 21. But she did not seem to map when in note duration to real world. And not really also by ear. Any suggestion here?

Yes! Music dictation is one of the solution. I will work more on such videos.

Back to the Mozart

• Mel02
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Nov 2013 17:00 #12383 by Mel02
Replied by Mel02 on topic Melody, 5 year 1 month, USA, level 2

Teach her to think before pressing the key. Right (time ) number irrelevant in this exercise.

Is that we will ask her to announce both the note and the finger position? And to know them easier/quicker, we will just apply the mosquito counting as in one of your exercise. Use relative position in sentence. At the moment of start another sentence, use absolute position.

Yesterday, when we were studying the finger position for Jolly to the world, we find that we need something to make more sense of "least move" and we found its right scope. Melody just learned the concept of sentence in Kindergarten. And we find it just apply to music as well. We started to check the sentence in each music piece we had played, and would clap our hand when we thing it is a period. It seems Melody could almost get it alright for simple songs and she was very focused and excited.

Google sentence (in music) today, it seemed very complicated. I guess we will just use our simple way for listening to a pause for now.

For the ear training with Guess Key Game, I think Helene mentioned that kid could sing the note then press the key. Shall we get them to fix their finger and then sing the note and think finger position too? Melody is using few fingers when doing Guess Key. Often move the hand away, then check the keyboard, then the index finger on, then away her hand again at the pleasure of doing right.

More
28 Nov 2013 08:10 #12444 by hellene

Mel02 wrote:

Teach her to think before pressing the key. Right (time ) number irrelevant in this exercise.

Is that we will ask her to announce both the note and the finger position?

I think, it is way too stressful to think and to say. Just ask her do not worry about the time, but to try to make left number with less mistakes.

And to know them easier/quicker, we will just apply the mosquito counting as in one of your exercise. Use relative position in sentence. At the moment of start another sentence, use absolute position.

This is very good idea! I wish to see the video on 'mosquito counting' :)

Yesterday, when we were studying the finger position for Jolly to the world, we find that we need something to make more sense of "least move" and we found its right scope. Melody just learned the concept of sentence in Kindergarten. And we find it just apply to music as well. We started to check the sentence in each music piece we had played, and would clap our hand when we thing it is a period. It seems Melody could almost get it alright for simple songs and she was very focused and excited.

It would be great to have the video! I am preparing to make a puppet tale on that!

Google sentence (in music) today, it seemed very complicated. I guess we will just use our simple way for listening to a pause for now.

I am not following you here. Need more details.

For the ear training with Guess Key Game, I think Helene mentioned that kid could sing the note then press the key. Shall we get them to fix their finger and then sing the note and think finger position too? Melody is using few fingers when doing Guess Key. Often move the hand away, then check the keyboard, then the index finger on, then away her hand again at the pleasure of doing right.

Do not worry about finger numbers in this game. To see and to sing is very attention consuming already. It will come naturally!

Back to the Mozart

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds