fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Teachers Training Experience

Skype lessons

More
11 Mar 2013 19:56 #8761 by rbennett
Skype lessons was created by rbennett
Hello fellow teachers,

Our son and family visted over the weekend and their two older children, 7 year old and 4 year daughters, were both very interested in having Gramma teach them to play the piano. I showed the older of the two the Soft Mozart program and she could hardly stay away from it. We spent several sessions in the piano studio and she went in independently many times to play the games or try a new song.

I would like to start them by Skype after they get settled into their new home in San Diego where they are currently headed. How many of you have done this and how would you advise me? Hellene, what can you tell me about this as well?

I'd love to hear and learn from any and all of you.

Thanks!

Rhonda Bennett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2013 23:21 #8768 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Skype lessons

rbennett wrote: Hello fellow teachers,

Our son and family visted over the weekend and their two older children, 7 year old and 4 year daughters, were both very interested in having Gramma teach them to play the piano. I showed the older of the two the Soft Mozart program and she could hardly stay away from it. We spent several sessions in the piano studio and she went in independently many times to play the games or try a new song.

I would like to start them by Skype after they get settled into their new home in San Diego where they are currently headed. How many of you have done this and how would you advise me? Hellene, what can you tell me about this as well?

I'd love to hear and learn from any and all of you.

Thanks!

Rhonda Bennett

Rhonda, first of all: I am very happy to hear from you!

I am teaching on Skype for a long time a pre-schoolar. Her name is Rachel. Initially we started our private lessons in Houston, when she was just 3-year-old. Then the family moved to Singapore and now we have sessions on Skype. Of cause, time is different and sometimes it is hard to schedule something. But if you have a big house or patient family, this is manageable :P

Besides, there are some more differences that should be taken to consideration.

1. YOU are sitting outside the room. Therefore, it would be very helpful (at least for very beginning), if parents will be committed and organized to take your place next to the child.

2. YOU won't be able to interact with your beginners instantaneously - any suggestion that you would make could reach your student a little later. So, don't waste your breath and teach the parents to cut pieces in smaller chunks, if the problem in a precise bar.

3. You won't be able to demonstrate, how to play correctly - well, in a way you WILL be demonstrating, but through the computer screen. It works! But also our TEACHING VIDEOS would be also helpful for synchronous practice softmozart.com/forum/55-teaching-videos.html There you will find pieces played with metronome and without.
If you want, you may record your playing to our collection as well.

4. Rewards have to be done by parents. IT IS IMPORTANT! You will give your kids an assignment - tell the price (2-3 butterflies) and parents should deliver :lol:

5. Usually piano lessons on Skype take longer then live lessons. I usually add 15 minutes to my ordinary session.

I would also recommend you to read the section of my 'new book' about motivation, finger numbers and polishing stages in learning pieces with Soft Mozart softmozart.com/forum/20-hellene-hiners-b...tml?limit=6&start=24

I hope this will help you with ideas about creating surrounding and gradual steps in teaching your Skype students.

I am including a video of my 4-year-old student learning a piece with a video:

Back to the Mozart

More
12 Mar 2013 18:59 #8790 by rbennett
Replied by rbennett on topic Skype lessons
Thank you Hellene!

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds