fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries, Личные Дневники, Informes de Progreso

Cayla 3 y/o with Down Syndrome

More
20 Dec 2012 00:52 #7375 by hellene
Can't wait!

Back to the Mozart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2012 21:38 #7543 by Mrs.Post
One more try:
The following user(s) said Thank You: the Moon

More
01 Jan 2013 16:51 #7557 by andreasro
First of all, she's so cute and pretty in her dress! Did you take care of all the kids for the recital? They look so nice!
Second, she's singing solfeggio and playing the piano in the same time, and she's into it too! It's definitely something she's practicing at with pleasure and interest.

You asked in a message about tips or ideas to help her use her whole hand while playing. Well, as you've seen Alin, I will tell your from our experience. While watching him "fooling around" with the EK and mainly after recording him yesterday I understood that he's learning best by imitation. Not sure Cayla would do the same. I did try to teach him to use his hand, but he didn't want to. Instead, he watched me doing it and it was like his brain told his fingers to move. And, one day, what do you know? He started to use more fingers! :lol:

So I guess it depends on the child. Some kids just get it faster, even play with both hands much faster. And here, in the recent recitals posted or in past messages, we can see examples. Some just need more time. Or different approaches. It's up for us to try.

Hellene was telling someone to try this (can't recall Hellene's post): say to or help your child to play along with "Mrs. Hellene" (with her teaching video). I don't recall when we should try this. Maybe it will work for Cayla too, now or later.

More
01 Jan 2013 19:56 #7558 by Mrs.Post
Thanks Andreaso,

Yes, I took care of them. However, I put Philip down for a nap. I was hoping he would be ready for the recital...he could do it, but won't. With him down for a nap - it was pretty easy. Both kids were so excited because we'd purchased the outfits several months in advance as their Christmas presents and both were waiting to wear them. We treid to curl Cayla's hair - no go.

Cayla wants to use both hands it is trying to make her hands do what she wants that is the trouble, she is such a slow processor of information and she doesn't retain it long. We've been doing digit span work for almost 6 months. At first she could reliably repeat only on item in a list of five. Usually only the last one. Now she can reliably do two but not always in order. The problem with Downs kids is that they have this terrible working memory. Right now she can only manage 2 pieces of information at once. Playing the keyboard is very helpful for this. I can really tell the difference between Cayla and other children who have DS. She is light years ahead of them verbally, physically, and academically. We'll just keep plugging away. She wants to use both hands, she is just having trouble making it work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andreasro, the Moon

More
01 Jan 2013 23:28 #7562 by andreasro

Mrs.Post wrote: Thanks Andreaso,

Yes, I took care of them. However, I put Philip down for a nap. I was hoping he would be ready for the recital...he could do it, but won't. With him down for a nap - it was pretty easy. Both kids were so excited because we'd purchased the outfits several months in advance as their Christmas presents and both were waiting to wear them. We treid to curl Cayla's hair - no go.

You did great! :)

Mrs.Post wrote: Cayla wants to use both hands it is trying to make her hands do what she wants that is the trouble, she is such a slow processor of information and she doesn't retain it long. We've been doing digit span work for almost 6 months. At first she could reliably repeat only on item in a list of five. Usually only the last one. Now she can reliably do two but not always in order. The problem with Downs kids is that they have this terrible working memory. Right now she can only manage 2 pieces of information at once. Playing the keyboard is very helpful for this. I can really tell the difference between Cayla and other children who have DS. She is light years ahead of them verbally, physically, and academically. We'll just keep plugging away. She wants to use both hands, she is just having trouble making it work.

Can I quote you in a message for parents of special needs kids?
It's fantastic :woohoo: what you're saying about Cayla's progress and abilities with keyboard practice.

I wonder, will piano practice be enough in time? Or there's more that she needs to overcome the issue or work more with the brain area related to it? Corpus callosum is related to brain sides exchange and playing with both hands right? It takes time, but it can be done (as long as corpus callosum is present, no matter how small or thin). We have a living proof in the house. He won't do things he's not capable of doing or things he sees he can't do right. And one day, boom! Surprise! He can!

More
02 Jan 2013 04:20 #7571 by Mrs.Post
Yes, you can use a quote. :)

I'm not sure if keyboard lessons are going to be enough. We're using Little Reader and Little Musician also. Plus some of Tamsyn's manipulatives with SM icons. However, she makes the biggest progress with Soft Mozart. I think it is because of it's design. It isn't just passive, it requires her to actually make connections in her brain. And it is coming much faster now that we've got hte first two songs down, I'm betting the next one will be faster still. Not just because she knows the notes, but because she's already made a bunch of connectors.

I know she is a smart little girl. I don't mean that in patronizing way. She's funny. You have to be smart to be funny. You have to know how things out to be to make a joke about it. So I know there is a lot going on in her little head. I think she has trouble getting it out. And I don't think has the memory power to accomplish what she wants. She knows she has to try harder than the other kids. We started early enough with her that I'm hoping that she will be able to overcome many of the obstacles in her way.

If you haven't heard of him - look up Sujeet on YouTube. Amazing, and Miss Cayla has started earlier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andreasro, the Moon

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds