fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Welcome to the SoftMozart forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

new and overwhelmed

More
13 Mar 2014 22:33 #14047 by Veronika
new and overwhelmed was created by Veronika
Hello moms and dads, little and big musicians,

I am very happy to join the community of Soft Mozart! I am a mom of 2 boys, Daniel of 4 and Benjamin of almost 2.

Daniel has been playing with SM for about 2 months now. He loves it. I'll try to attach a video to this message if I can.

I do have a loooot of questions, I am overwhelmed by the huge amount of information and I feel that because of that I am freezing up and not doing anything in the end. So here my cry out for help :lol:

My first problem that I encountered is that my mom "served" in the Russian piano school and conservatorium. By the time I was born, she said "never will I put my child through this agony". With the result I know zero about the piano, but love the instrument to death.

I have NO idea where the fingers go :blink:

I basically gave no instructions to Daniel on where to put his fingers. I told him to use all this fingers, and he does so. But I dont know if its correct or not, or is that not important for him yet?

Daniel also really doesnt want to sing the notes while he plays. Is that a big problem?

I think I read somewhere that there is a possibility on this forum to have some sort of personal tutor who I can bother with all my questions? :whistle:

So, after this, I'm gonna blow a new wind in our lessons and pick them up with some regularity again!
How often do you play the piano at home? How often would you suggest I play (yes, for Daniel it is play, not train or learn, he has so much fun) with Daniel?

Here is the video of Daniel playing with two hands for the first time:

Here is him playing Old MacDOnald, at his own request:

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2014 05:55 #14058 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic new and overwhelmed
Hi, Veronika! Welcome!
Let me help you with your confusion.

Veronika wrote: Hello moms and dads, little and big musicians,

I am very happy to join the community of Soft Mozart! I am a mom of 2 boys, Daniel of 4 and Benjamin of almost 2.

Daniel has been playing with SM for about 2 months now. He loves it. I'll try to attach a video to this message if I can.

I do have a loooot of questions, I am overwhelmed by the huge amount of information and I feel that because of that I am freezing up and not doing anything in the end. So here my cry out for help :lol:

I understand you! You did the right thing by doing it here - so, we can hear you and help

My first problem that I encountered is that my mom "served" in the Russian piano school and conservatorium. By the time I was born, she said "never will I put my child through this agony". With the result I know zero about the piano, but love the instrument to death.

I have NO idea where the fingers go :blink:

Wait... here is our first important question. Are you following the curriculum? softmozart.com/forum/63-lesson-plans.html
The reason I am asking that the first piano pieces and exercises are built to create and development of fingers awareness. We have step by step ways to develop eye-hand coordination and only after that start working on other tasks. For example, if your child finished playing R, L or P of a piano piece, please, check the results on the right and left lower part of computer screen. If the amount of time ‘wasted’ much greater than amount of mistakes, your child on the stage of eye – hand coordination development and is not having enough ‘room’ to thinking about anything else. I would recommend you to read the following materials. There you will find more about the stages of skills development:
softmozart.com/forum/20-hellene-hiners-b...rite-a-new-book.html

I basically gave no instructions to Daniel on where to put his fingers. I told him to use all this fingers, and he does so. But I dont know if its correct or not, or is that not important for him yet?

You will experience that after progress with time (the amount of seconds wasted will be about the same or less than amount of correct notes), your son will be more perceptive about the correct fingering. After memorizing your piano pieces you can always polish the songs with our TEACHING VIDEOS. Thre you will be able to improve piano technique, posture and see the most optimal fingerings:
softmozart.com/forum/55-teaching-videos.html

Daniel also really doesnt want to sing the notes while he plays. Is that a big problem?

Not at the stage of eye-hand coordination.

I think I read somewhere that there is a possibility on this forum to have some sort of personal tutor who I can bother with all my questions? :whistle:

Here we go! Yes! Today I am your personal tutor!

So, after this, I'm gonna blow a new wind in our lessons and pick them up with some regularity again!
How often do you play the piano at home? How often would you suggest I play (yes, for Daniel it is play, not train or learn, he has so much fun) with Daniel?

It has to be a lot like ‘meals’: often, but in small portions.

Here is the video of Daniel playing with two hands for the first time:
Here is him playing Old MacDOnald, at his own request:

Thank you!

It is great that your son loves music so much and picks the piano pieces! Our philosophy in teaching is that in learning we connect 3 times: past – present and future. We refer to our previous experience, learn what is currently needed to be learnt and take a pick to the future. The pieces that you selected so far are from close, but future. I would recommend you to stick with the lesson plan and start working on Introductory songs ( Hot Cross Buns, French Song, Jingle Bells etc) And write the numbers down to see, how do you progress!
If needed, send me a request to be connected on Skype, if you need more personalized assistance.

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: Veronika

More
16 Mar 2014 11:52 #14101 by Veronika
Replied by Veronika on topic new and overwhelmed
Thank you so much! I am gonna start with reading your links first!

More
16 Mar 2014 23:52 #14106 by limakilo
Replied by limakilo on topic new and overwhelmed
I think new and overwhelmed describes me too!

My name is Leslie, and I have 2 children: Josephine (age 6) and Rovy (my son, aged 3). We have been watching the Hoffman academy video lessons for several weeks, and Josephine is practicing a little most days of the week.

I looked into early music programs for Rovy a few weeks ago, because he's interested and sings the solfege a fair bit, but doesn't want to try playing the piano much.

We have been using the trial version of Little Musician for the past week (which both kids LOVE) and we just received Soft Mozart. I put the solfege stickers on the piano for Rovy and he likes that; he's a little familiar with do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do because they have seen Sound of Music a few times.

However, although I have spent time looking at the forum, the SM user's manual, and looked through the sample one year curriculum, I am feeling confused as to how to start.

Is the sample one year curriculum for a child Rovy's age (3 years)?

What's the best way to get started for him?

Also, I took piano as a child, I am an ok player. I find myself very confused by the vertical staff, but I guess it will be easier for the kids?

More
18 Mar 2014 20:46 #14116 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic new and overwhelmed
Welcome to our forum, Leslie!

limakilo wrote: I think new and overwhelmed describes me too!

My name is Leslie, and I have 2 children: Josephine (age 6) and Rovy (my son, aged 3). We have been watching the Hoffman academy video lessons for several weeks, and Josephine is practicing a little most days of the week.

I looked into early music programs for Rovy a few weeks ago, because he's interested and sings the solfege a fair bit, but doesn't want to try playing the piano much.

We have been using the trial version of Little Musician for the past week (which both kids LOVE) and we just received Soft Mozart. I put the solfege stickers on the piano for Rovy and he likes that; he's a little familiar with do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do because they have seen Sound of Music a few times.

However, although I have spent time looking at the forum, the SM user's manual, and looked through the sample one year curriculum, I am feeling confused as to how to start.

Is the sample one year curriculum for a child Rovy's age (3 years)?

Yes, I am developing more customised curriculum now and here you may find the guidelines for bot of your children: softmozart.com/forum/63-lesson-plans.html Please, chose Level Prep (B or C ) If B if too hard for your 3-year-old, A would be better for him.

What's the best way to get started for him?

The best way is to keep your Own Progress Diary and keep all the records about your music lessons with your children in the one place:
softmozart.com/forum/64-progress-diaries---2013-2014.html

This way you can have the most effective experience and receive feed back from me personally or from other teachers in our forum.

Also, I took piano as a child, I am an ok player. I find myself very confused by the vertical staff, but I guess it will be easier for the kids?

We have more comfortable visual presentations for you. Open Gentle piano and press on your computer keyboard 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 and you will see, how the notation gradually change.

Back to the Mozart

More
19 Mar 2014 05:42 #14119 by limakilo
Replied by limakilo on topic new and overwhelmed
Thank you for this information.

I have been tinkering with the program and have looked at the pages you recommended. My son Rovy remains very interested in the stickers and really likes trying to play Frere Jacques.

For the curriculum, it seems to be organized by month. Should we just pick a few activities every day? I assume that for a 3 year old child, 10-15 min per day is enough?

Regarding a progress diary, I am not sure what are the numbers that everyone records. Is there a page or post that explains what we should note?

Thank you for your help; I think this program will be very good for the kids.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds