fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

Blaise age 6 US-credit documentation

More
06 Mar 2013 09:18 - 07 Mar 2013 00:30 #8667 by linzy

Week January 24th-31th

Note Duration game: 10 minutes: 282, level 8 (sorry I didn't get a picture of him doing it for only 5 min, he wanted to do it longer, but we did this game consistently throughout the month)
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Mar 2013 00:30 by linzy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2013 09:33 #8668 by linzy
Hellene,

I wanted to give you an update as to what we are currently doing and get some input as to if you think we are on the right track, or if you would be conducting the lesson differently.

We start with reviewing the level one flash cards, then move on to one of the games for 5-10 min, depending on the time we have and if he begs to keep going at 5 min or not.

We then do the Hannon stretching exercises and chromatic scale. We were doing the three sisters, but he found it easy, and we often are time crunched.

Next, he takes a song from Favorite classics primer to sight read. He did melody for 8 days. We started on level 2 and then when he was making less than 5 mistakes went up to 4,5 and 6. Today we started Egyptian Dance 2P and he got 61/64 time 98 and 61/64 time 85.

We have been doing Musette on 4PH and he gets 70/70 time 15. We have also done it with the videos, but he has a hard time, staying with your hand movements. We were doing it for quite a while, but I felt like it was time for him to move on and start some new songs as he was spending a lot of time each lesson struggling to stay with the video.

He also then does Rock group boogie 68/69 time 20, 69/69 time 22 on 4PH.

Then over yesterday he started Ode to Joy in Favorite Classics 1. Today he got 86/88 t82 and 86/88t71 on 1P. He thinks he'd like to start practicing this maybe for the next recital.

Is that pretty much on track? Should he be moving faster, should he practice every song until he can play it well with the videos. When should he drop old songs and move on to new ones?
The following user(s) said Thank You: the Moon

More
06 Mar 2013 09:36 #8669 by linzy
And here is a video of my little just recently turned 3 year old. He only has a very short attention span, but recently decided he would play with us at least a few days a week:

The following user(s) said Thank You: the Moon

More
06 Mar 2013 21:24 #8675 by hellene

linzy wrote: And here is a video of my little just recently turned 3 year old. He only has a very short attention span, but recently decided he would play with us at least a few days a week:

Linzy, I am very impressed with your son's progress! Way to go!
Have a suggestion: it seems like you are using your piano keyboard on a 'touch sensitive' mode.

Beginners, especially of such young age, do not have enough 'room' in their mind to control, how hard to press the key. It would be much better to turn this function off, if possible, for awhile. :)

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: linzy

More
06 Mar 2013 21:27 #8677 by hellene

linzy wrote: Week January 24th-31th

Note Duration game: 10 minutes: 282, level 8 (sorry I didn't get a picture of him doing it for only 5 min, he wanted to do it longer, but we did this game consistently throughout the month)

Linzy, if you will touch the link 'insert', the picture will be included in your message. Would you like me to do it for you?

Back to the Mozart

More
06 Mar 2013 21:45 - 06 Mar 2013 21:46 #8678 by hellene
Linzy, I will be commenting on your update while reading it:

linzy wrote: Hellene,

I wanted to give you an update as to what we are currently doing and get some input as to if you think we are on the right track, or if you would be conducting the lesson differently.

We start with reviewing the level one flash cards, then move on to one of the games for 5-10 min, depending on the time we have and if he begs to keep going at 5 min or not.

Note Duration game? It could be played longer, if it is OK with him.

We then do the Hannon stretching exercises and chromatic scale. We were doing the three sisters, but he found it easy, and we often are time crunched.

You may play one exercise a week.

Next, he takes a song from Favorite classics primer to sight read. He did melody for 8 days. We started on level 2 and then when he was making less than 5 mistakes went up to 4,5 and 6. Today we started Egyptian Dance 2P and he got 61/64 time 98 and 61/64 time 85.

Here I would recommend to take it easier. If to move to 6th very soon and to practice only one song at a time, he would 'pretend' reading it, but rather memorize the piece.
I would go to Nursery Primer, would play the entire Album by R, L and P on 2 (to create straight connection between spaces/lines and piano keys) and 4. Set the goal to make less and less mistakes. If Nursery already played, it is OK to play FCPrimer, but again - entire Album using R, L and then P.

We have been doing Musette on 4PH and he gets 70/70 time 15.

It seems like he has excellent music aptitude! :) This is great news. But we need to challenge him! Could you, please, give him something like 'Ode to Joy' (FC1) or 'Pop! Goes the Weasel', 'Lazy Mary', 'Little Dog Gone', 'Hickory Dickory Dock' or 'This Old Man' (NS1) ?

It would be also very helpful to see his current playing to better for better understanding of his development.

We have also done it with the videos, but he has a hard time, staying with your hand movements. We were doing it for quite a while, but I felt like it was time for him to move on and start some new songs as he was spending a lot of time each lesson struggling to stay with the video.

You are absolutely right! For beginners the quantity of played material is standing before the quality. We have to build eye/hand coordination and fine motor skills first and then start polishing piano pieces more closely.

He also then does Rock group boogie 68/69 time 20, 69/69 time 22 on 4PH.

Aha! In this case give him 'Robot Rock'. It will be a challenge! But on 1 or on 3 (with more visual support). We don't want to overstress his muscles! :)

Then over yesterday he started Ode to Joy in Favorite Classics 1. Today he got 86/88 t82 and 86/88t71 on 1P. He thinks he'd like to start practicing this maybe for the next recital.

Why did I see it coming? :P

Is that pretty much on track? Should he be moving faster, should he practice every song until he can play it well with the videos. When should he drop old songs and move on to new ones?

I may answer these questions, if will be able to see his playing. It seems like we can move faster, but picture worth 1000 words.

Back to the Mozart
Last edit: 06 Mar 2013 21:46 by hellene.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds