fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× 2014-2015

Melody 6 year old (Level 2, Level 3)

• Mel02
  • Mel02's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2015 09:30 #17996 by Mel02
Melody has been studying with piano teacher since last July and working on articulation (it seems we are weak in this area).

But soft mozart has such a well-thought plan of balanced developing of musicianship, we could not appreciate more. We are coming back to follow more sight-reading and ear-training to further sharpen our skill here. Especially when we see other kids not doing sight-reading properly and never consciously did ear training after one year playing piano. (I have keep introducing soft mozart to them.)

Did music dictation yesterday 2/12/2015 and will continue on.

Helene, I saw there is quite improvement in lesson plan and level 3 added and there is segment and instruction for what for diploma. Thanks for improving.

For level 3, under each segment, ear training, would you advise us to do daily or weekly? Is that when a song is dictated? No need for repeat doing the same song. But moving to next?

Also, there is a relative Do concept, so for a song of D major, should we start do singing with both absolute Solfeggio and relative Solfeggion? We are doing some music theory on paper now with Roman Numeral chord I, II and etc.. Not sure if we should learn to pick relative Do.

Then for a minor song, how to apply "Do Re Mi Fa Sol", e.g. for A minor, if using relative Do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2015 07:54 #18000 by hellene

Mel02 wrote: Melody has been studying with piano teacher since last July and working on articulation (it seems we are weak in this area).

I am very happy to see you here! Yes, I know! I subscribed to your You Tube channel long time ago and was watching some of the videos.

But soft mozart has such a well-thought plan of balanced developing of musicianship, we could not appreciate more.

I graduated Russian School of music. It is outstanding curriculum. Solfeggio, ear training, music appreciation, music history, dictations - you name it - it is all very important additional activity for any educated person. The goal is to make music applicable in life and to develop a person in the most harmonious way. The structure of Russian school is hard to duplicate for the financial reasons: we had minimum 6-7 hours a week to study music in music schools after regular classes, But I made the curriculum available and in more efficient way: today some teachers in Russia use my curriculum in music schools and testify that children learn much faster and more effective with it. They even use it in colleges and universities! :)

Here is the survey that I made in 2009 among the educators: www.softmozart.com/teaching/teacher-survey.html

We are coming back to follow more sight-reading and ear-training to further sharpen our skill here. Especially when we see other kids not doing sight-reading properly and never consciously did ear training after one year playing piano. (I have keep introducing soft mozart to them.)

After watching some of Melody's video I can say that sh has in her playing some 'Soft Mozart' signature: intellectual music background. She is not just blindly play what teacher tells her to play. She has a lot of experience with sight-reading many piano pieces and it shows big time! Her forte and piano is not just mechanical pressing keys louder and shorter.

Here is one of the most obvious example of intellectual vs mechanical playing for me.
Melody plays Bach

Another student plays Bach:

Trained music ear can see very big difference. One can train a student to make straight forward crescendo or diminuendo (gradual increase or decease of the volume) and place all the accents in the right places. But spontaneous movements, subtle changes in piano touch, personal input - these are features of Soft Mozart students-prodigies. They simply different because were exposed to more music through their own hands. Listening is one thing - the personal experience is something completely different.

You may see my point also by watching our prodigies on this page: pianolearningsoftware.com/pages/videos-o...udents-and-graduates

It is simply the new generation of musicians in making. They are more genuine in their expressions. It shows.

Did music dictation yesterday 2/12/2015 and will continue on.

It reminds me to keep developing this course, I was very involved in creating the improvements on the source code of the program and other tech projects. Have to be back in teaching asap.

Helene, I saw there is quite improvement in lesson plan and level 3 added and there is segment and instruction for what for diploma. Thanks for improving.

:blush:
Kaihua, thank you! More to come! I have about 10 more levels to cover :)

For level 3, under each segment, ear training, would you advise us to do daily or weekly?

In music school we had it weekly, but we didn't have any Soft Mozart. I think 2 times a week would work

Is that when a song is dictated? No need for repeat doing the same song. But moving to next?

It would be helpful to write the song down in different keys. There is an option for that. I also started developing the Transposing course for very young. It may be a piece of cake for Melody already, but very helpful:
pianolearningsoftware.com/products/0-5-t...ourse-for-very-young

The key element there is to train the ear to transpose and melody - and chords in all the keys.

I just started to developing this course and there are much more to come.

With the help of a very talented classically trained jazz musician Camila we are now working on course for playing jazz and other modern chords sequences.

email me a This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - and I will send you Transposing file II-I, if you do not have them yet

Also, there is a relative Do concept, so for a song of D major, should we start do singing with both absolute Solfeggio and relative Solfeggion?

Absolute Solfeggio, Solfeggio is a foundational academic subject. It is relative for economical reasons: in many countries state doesn't support early professional music education and the solution is (unfortunately) making 'relative solfeggio' - since it is flies without literacy. As I mentioned at the beginning, we go solid academic way. Only Absolute. BTW, students of Juilliard school learn Absolute. It is simply the best.

We are doing some music theory on paper now with Roman Numeral chord I, II and etc.. Not sure if we should learn to pick relative Do.

You don't need relative Do. Roman numeral chords are also incorporated in our curriculum ( see Transposing course and all of my Puppet Theory videos). The start is 'Kingdom of Tune' book. I disguised the dry abstract concept into the fairy tale characters for better understanding.

Then for a minor song, how to apply "Do Re Mi Fa Sol", e.g. for A minor, if using relative Do.

You don't have to :woohoo: It is downgrading to go from Absolute to relative. I think, Melody already developed her perfect pitch. We have to move her ear to more advanced music training - not backwards, :)

Back to the Mozart

• Mel02
  • Mel02's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Feb 2015 18:41 #18006 by Mel02
Replied by Mel02 on topic Melody 6 year old (Level 2, Level 3)

I am very happy to see you here! Yes, I know! I subscribed to your You Tube channel long time ago and was watching some of the videos.

Thank you so much for following up Melody all the time. So great to read your reply!

I graduated Russian School of music. It is outstanding curriculum. Solfeggio, ear training, music appreciation, music history, dictations - you name it - it is all very important additional activity for any educated person. The goal is to make music applicable in life and to develop a person in the most harmonious way. The structure of Russian school is hard to duplicate for the financial reasons: we had minimum 6-7 hours a week to study music in music schools after regular classes, But I made the curriculum available and in more efficient way: today some teachers in Russia use my curriculum in music schools and testify that children learn much faster and more effective with it. They even use it in colleges and universities! :)

I am truely agree that you make it much more efficient and effective. I could not believe Melody are actually reading and hearing -- though maybe still in grade 1 level. But I feel we got the picture and Melody is on the track. I am especially grateful for your free book "You can be a musician" and the images of a stable table -- it is a roadmap to us.

After watching some of Melody's video I can say that sh has in her playing some 'Soft Mozart' signature: intellectual music background. She is not just blindly play what teacher tells her to play. She has a lot of experience with sight-reading many piano pieces and it shows big time! Her forte and piano is not just mechanical pressing keys louder and shorter.

Thanks for your comments and insight. I never realized that.

And I could not believe that Melody's playing can be comparable with the other girl's playing. Actually we did watch the other video and I actually quite admired her crystal clear playing, all dynamic and articulation control and her grace. Though I feel something in Melody's playing too that I could not tell well. Maybe now I can tell Melody that even she is not having the control well yet, she is still having her own music there.

We are spending most time now in studying tone color, it takes a lot of time and research and still I have to say we are not getting it yet. That is where an efficient and effective way is so valuable.

Trained music ear can see very big difference. One can train a student to make straight forward crescendo or diminuendo (gradual increase or decease of the volume) and place all the accents in the right places. But spontaneous movements, subtle changes in piano touch, personal input - these are features of Soft Mozart students-prodigies. They simply different because were exposed to more music through their own hands. Listening is one thing - the personal experience is something completely different.

Thanks for pointing out the merits in Melody's playing. I would say I had been unaware of it and had direct Melody the other way here and there until I have to let it go with whatever she got.

You may see my point also by watching our prodigies on this page: pianolearningsoftware.com/pages/videos-o...udents-and-graduates

It is simply the new generation of musicians in making. They are more genuine in their expressions. It shows.

It reminds me to keep developing this course, I was very involved in creating the improvements on the source code of the program and other tech projects. Have to be back in teaching asap.
Kaihua, thank you! More to come! I have about 10 more levels to cover :)

Look forwarding to them.

In music school we had it weekly, but we didn't have any Soft Mozart. I think 2 times a week would work

Thanks for the advice. We did twice music dictations now, what I found that if Melody deals with 4 measure of music in chord 1 Major C or Minor A, she can almost get it right by purely listening to it. When purely listening, I mean keep her from looking at the screen. If she looks at screen, her reading will be dominant and then she would never be able to make it correct. But purely listening, 4 measure is almost there in one or two time 'S'. But at 8 measure or more, she is having dropping here and there. I am not sure where problem is or how to work on that. Her memory is not as good?

It would be helpful to write the song down in different keys. There is an option for that. I also started developing the Transposing course for very young. It may be a piece of cake for Melody already, but very helpful:
pianolearningsoftware.com/products/0-5-t...ourse-for-very-young

Melody is okay, though not fully yet. She followed that year back and used the trick to detect all the 12 major scale by purely listening without knowing the # or b supposed to be.

The key element there is to train the ear to transpose and melody - and chords in all the keys.

We are working more on that. It is really nice and superior to hear theory first before reading them.

I just started to developing this course and there are much more to come.

It will be great.

With the help of a very talented classically trained jazz musician Camila we are now working on course for playing jazz and other modern chords sequences.

Hope it will be there soon. We do start working on some chord sequence, but it is very vague for us.

Also, there is a relative Do concept, so for a song of D major, should we start do singing with both absolute Solfeggio and relative Solfeggion?

Absolute Solfeggio, Solfeggio is a foundational academic subject. It is relative for economical reasons: in many countries state doesn't support early professional music education and the solution is (unfortunately) making 'relative solfeggio' - since it is flies without literacy. As I mentioned at the beginning, we go solid academic way. Only Absolute. BTW, students of Juilliard school learn Absolute. It is simply the best.

We are doing some music theory on paper now with Roman Numeral chord I, II and etc.. Not sure if we should learn to pick relative Do.

You don't need relative Do. Roman numeral chords are also incorporated in our curriculum ( see Transposing course and all of my Puppet Theory videos). The start is 'Kingdom of Tune' book. I disguised the dry abstract concept into the fairy tale characters for better understanding.

You don't have to :woohoo: It is downgrading to go from Absolute to relative. I think, Melody already developed her perfect pitch. We have to move her ear to more advanced music training - not backwards, :)

[/quote]

Yes. Melody is almost there for perfect pitch. I was thinking of Relative Do is that she seems not good at relative pitch yet. Would you recommend any way to recognize interval? Maybe develop a course for that, please. I was thinking to asking Melody do Relative Do, then maybe she knows the interval??

For her perfect pitch progress, For C1 - C8, she will still here and there missed some and the #,b is not as good as white one, average 85-95% accuracy. We used other tools to verify that. But we do name out all by Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti and for #, b, we call F# or Gb, don't know good way to sing out.

Guess the game "Guess key" should have an option to move #,b to first several trees when she has most enery--that way she would have the black key solid. Today she did the "Guess key" again, when she hear the #,b but the finger are still slow reaching the right black, so she took the blocked paper away and did the game further on with reading.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds