fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

Titus, 3yo and Juli, adult Progress Diary

More
23 Apr 2013 21:38 - 25 Nov 2014 22:48 #9975 by juliguli
So, we are just now going to be starting to learn piano as a family, but I wanted to start by saying where we are now.

I (Juli) played a bit of piano as a child in Russia, but then never continued when I moved to America. I kind of remember the different notes and have re-solidified that a bit through Little Musician, which I have been showing my son, but other than that, I don't really know much (and all the notes I do know are on the treble cleff, not the lower one (forgot its name:-).

My husband (J) has never played piano.

My son, TJ, loves loves loves music and can actually clap to a beat at 19months. He loves picking up nay instruments we have around the house, form a baby guitar, to a beating on a drumset, to playing the keyboard when I turn it on (he will press individual keys as opposed to just banging, but not in any particular order yet). He breaks into dance whenver any music is turned on in the house:-) He has inspired us all to take music education more seriously and learn with him:-)
Last edit: 25 Nov 2014 22:48 by juliguli.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2013 15:44 - 29 Apr 2013 04:28 #10019 by juliguli
I just wanted to share my son's enthusiasm for the piano! We have not tried to purposely teach him anything yet (at most we have watched lots of Little Musician). But, whenever he gets near it, he just has so much fun:-)
Last edit: 29 Apr 2013 04:28 by juliguli.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene, Mrs.Post, the Moon

More
29 Apr 2013 04:25 - 29 Apr 2013 04:29 #10037 by juliguli
OK, so we got Soft Mozart in the mail. There is a lot to read and a lot to digest, and I am not entirely sure how to get started. Found this though: www.softmozart.com/teaching/how-to-get-s...it-for-yourself.html (thanks forum members!) and also, on Hellene's blog, found the book she is writing and actually reading through some of that is helping too.

I also added home-made stickers (from the downloadable guide I bought) to the piano (I also made circles around them with colors from Little Musician, so it is more of a continuation for TJ. TJ is loving the stickers and even though we have not done much, I did notice just from them being on there, he pays more attention to what he is hitting.

I am not sure how to get in contact with teachers here and I saw that Hellene is on skype sometimes. How do I set up something? Are others on skype as well?

I am ok following things for myself and my hubby, but I am not sure how to go about this with TJ.

Here is a video of TJ enjoying the new stickers:
Last edit: 29 Apr 2013 04:29 by juliguli.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the Moon

More
29 Apr 2013 08:06 - 29 Apr 2013 08:40 #10041 by andreasro
Julia,
For now Hellene will give Skype lessons on Sundays. You can write on a new thread on her blog that you want a Skype session with her and you'll be on the list.

This year, with Moodle learning (free) platform where we'll have the Soft Mozart Academy, you'll be able to meet and learn from Soft Mozart teachers worldwide. We're working on implementing Moodle and a lot of options for individual learning. It will take few months, I think.

To get started: read both books written by Hellene and this thread of hers on how to become the first teacher for your toddler .

Make big flashcards with Soft Mozart symbols. You have a lot of ideas in the sharing section of the forum . Just go through all of them and see. For instance:

- in Share Files - you have also PowerPoint Slide shows and Little Musician files for Soft Mozart made by Brillkids moms ;)

- Songs listed by levels: http://softmozart.com/forum/28-share-print/9072-26-list-of-songs-by-levels.html#9072

After a while, when your son is used to Soft Mozart symbols, you can try the Guess Key module. Just less than a minute, even for few seconds is ok. Tell you son we help Mr. Oops gather fruits in the basket and he pays us. And the spider needs to feed his family so it is ok if we give fruits to it, but too many fruits can give the spider a stomachache ;) (children love to make the spider appear)

Regarding LM, SM and stickers, check other BK moms who posted here (TeachingMyToddlers, Mrs.Post etc.). Sonya said in LM she changed all symbols in LM to SM, if I remember correctly.
Marlita Love made a video combining LM and SM and SM Song Alphabet Chant Track 1:

Andrea
Last edit: 29 Apr 2013 08:40 by andreasro.

More
10 May 2013 06:05 - 24 Jun 2013 19:15 #10150 by juliguli
Ok, havn't had much computer time last week or so, and lots going on, but even with everything, we did manage to get some progress with starting Soft Mozart. I printed out the flashcards and put them along the wall in the hallway, so we "sing" them on our way to bed and on our way to the kitchen (that way, up and down).

I also imported the flashcards sonya post made for Little Reader, and have been showing TJ those, and also replaced the Little Musician symbols with the symbols Sonya post shared that incorporate the LM colors with SM symbols.

We also have been going downstairs and trying on the keyboard to name notes. I will play five notes and ask for their names (he is still just copying words I say, but I always pause in case he wants to answer, and he can sometimes guess Do or Mi, but not others). Then, I let him hit five notes and I say them quick as I can. He thinks this is funny, but will sometimes just try to hit many notes at once.

I am personally making my way through Hellene's book. I am super busy though and have gotten only a quarter of the way through. I have also been practicing the Hannon stretch exercise, and have played a few of the SM games just to try them out.

We did try the Guess Key module with TJ today and he did ok when I had my hand on his just making him pause to listen, then he would move his finger to the right key, but if I just let go of his hand entirely, he would just bang with both hands without pausing to listen or look at the screen, but towards the end, he was understanding that we are trying to hit one key at a time, and that we are looking for specific keys.

I had fun playing the note duration game, though I noticed a weird anomaly, though I may be mistaken, but seems if I get several wrong, the whole program slows down, but since this is a duration game, this is confusing to me, as what used to take two beats now takes four until I get it right a few times, then it is back to two beats.

Anywho, those are my thoughts for tonight. I will take some videos and write down actual results in the next few days.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2013 19:15 by juliguli.

More
11 May 2013 03:26 #10164 by hellene
Dear Juli,
I want to thank you again for all of our hard work helping us with Russian to English translation! Multiple karmas to you for that!
I will comment on your post while reading:

juliguli wrote: Ok, havn't had much computer time last week or so, and lots going on, but even with everything, we did manage to get some progress with starting Soft Mozart. I printed out the flashcards and put them along the wall in the hallway, so we "sing" them on our way to bed and on our way to the kitchen (that way, up and down).

Such a great idea! When you will finish learning from Do to Do, don't forget to make the cards from Re to Re, Mi to Mi etc :)

I also imported the flashcards sonya post made for Little Reader, and have been showing TJ those, and also replaced the Little Musician symbols with the symbols Sonya post shared that incorporate the LM colors with SM symbols.

Be careful with the colors! They can be destructive. If they will be over stimulating visually, they may slow down the learning process. Try to teach with and without colors and decide, what works for your child the best!

We also have been going downstairs and trying on the keyboard to name notes. I will play five notes and ask for their names (he is still just copying words I say, but I always pause in case he wants to answer, and he can sometimes guess Do or Mi, but not others). Then, I let him hit five notes and I say them quick as I can. He thinks this is funny, but will sometimes just try to hit many notes at once.

Pause is a really good idea. Especially when the materials will be absorbed!

I am personally making my way through Hellene's book. I am super busy though and have gotten only a quarter of the way through. I have also been practicing the Hannon stretch exercise, and have played a few of the SM games just to try them out.

You have plenty of time. No rush. Somebody read this book several times to understand concepts. Your journey had been just started!

We did try the Guess Key module with TJ today and he did ok when I had my hand on his just making him pause to listen, then he would move his finger to the right key, but if I just let go of his hand entirely, he would just bang with both hands without pausing to listen or look at the screen, but towards the end, he was understanding that we are trying to hit one key at a time, and that we are looking for specific keys.

Hold his hand, if he likes it! I know many successful stories when our Soft Mozart kids started like that. You baby has a lot of trust in you. It is wonderful!

I had fun playing the note duration game, though I noticed a weird anomaly, though I may be mistaken, but seems if I get several wrong, the whole program slows down, but since this is a duration game, this is confusing to me, as what used to take two beats now takes four until I get it right a few times, then it is back to two beats.

Yes, when you just develop eye-hand coordination, game is slowing down. Once this stage is over, you will listen to the beats. This is very good game for your son's age to start developing eye hand coordination and ability to focus on a small moving object.

Anywho, those are my thoughts for tonight. I will take some videos and write down actual results in the next few days.

I am looking forward to it!

Back to the Mozart

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds