fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

David, 64 years old, started February 3, 2018

More
19 Feb 2018 15:01 #28676 by davidsaroff
Hellene,

Thank you for the considered answer.

I wasn't clear. I need to do both your program as directed for the treasures of fluent grand staff sight reading and coordination. Also, I need to mesh your notation with the notation that makes sense to me as a physicist and mathematician.

Also I must spend time on the music I love. It was being forced to learn music I didn't love as a child that drove me away from the piano. If I had been taught to play themes and passages from the Concertos and Symphonies I loved while learning to read them from full score, I would have succeeded. Before finding your teaching method I was trying that on my own. I didn't want to hide that from you, thus the attachments.

Please don't take offence, or think me ungrateful for your method. It is necessary for you to systematize and standardize, for economy of management and in order to offer interactivity at such a low price.

Human creativity requires contrariness and rebellion. Human culture requires cooperation and conformity. The tension exists in both of us, don't you think?

An example, certainly above me, is our beloved Tarkovsky. The product of his creativity we love, but he died in exile. Do you know that during his last months all he wanted was to listen to Bach?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2018 18:32 #28685 by davidsaroff
My Windows laptop has failed, after many years. It will take a few days.

More
24 Feb 2018 16:43 #28715 by hellene
David, how are you and your computer?

I just received a very interesting letter:

Back in the 1990’s when I was taking piano lessons I said to my teacher “It’s a shame piano notation evolved the way it did, it would be much easier to read and learn if we read top to bottom vertically. Unfortunately, reading left to right forces us to make a 90 degree turn in our heads to match that up with the keyboard, making it harder to learn.” She looked at me like I had rocks in my head. She was an old school pianist classically trained in London. “All instruments notate music left to right, that’s just the way it is.” She said. So, needless to say, I was overjoyed to see your software using this technique to teach reading. Now I know that I’m not crazy and there really is a better way to learn!

Imagine, how much fire and resistance my new system facing every day. In order to keep strong and stronger we have to optimize the actions.

We created a library with a lot of beautiful pieces (including Bach). Students that pass them can learn the most advanced pieces by regular sheet music. The good news is : we are all pioneers. It is also the bad news.

Do you have Bach Inventions 9.7?
Here is the link for download here: pianolearningsoftware.com/pages/for-intermediate-levels

Back to the Mozart

More
24 Feb 2018 17:31 #28716 by davidsaroff
Hellene,

Thanks for asking.

I'm just ordering its replacement.

I can operate the touch pad and an on screen keyboard in the old computer, so it may become dedicated to the Allegro2 and soft piano.

It is considerate of you to put up the inventions.

In a week I meet with the three professors who work with me on the survey of the Andromeda galaxy for pulsar signals. Did I explain, we had 40 hours of the Green Bank Observatory for that, and recorded the signals received. My task is to write and operate computer programs to search the 8TB of data. I'm not spending enough time with soft mozart, but that should improve.

More
24 Feb 2018 18:21 #28718 by hellene
David,
Do you believe in life on other planets?

Back to the Mozart

More
24 Feb 2018 19:03 #28719 by davidsaroff
Hellene,

Yes, I do. Life in the galaxy, and all galaxies is as common as the grass, I believe.

There was a special space telescope put up that looked for planets around other stars by measuring the small ~1% decrease in the star's brightness when the planet passes between us and the star, eclipsing a small part of it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler_(spacecraft)

It was discovered that almost all stars have systems of planets. Some of those planets will be at the right distance so oceans don't boil, too close, or freeze, too far. It is expected that on some fraction of those, life will arise spontaneously. On some fraction of those it will evolve to intelligent technological life.

If on a planet around a nearby star there was a civilization similar in technology to ours, the strong radars that are used at airports to guide the planes in during heavy weather would be detected at an observatory like Green Bank, if we were lined up correctly. About 1/3 of the Green Bank telescope time is used for just such searches. They are under the name SETI, Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence.

I am alert to see it in my data, though Andromeda is so far away, 2.5 million light years, that I don't expect Andromeda SETI, but might accidently be pointed in the right direction so stars in our own galaxy are being detected too.

I am an atheist and scientific rationalist. I explain this to Christian religious people like this: the universe is so much bigger than when the bible was written, it makes no sense that a creator would put life on only this planet. There is a mismatch of scale. To my mind the creator and creation are the same thing, recreating itself everywhere all the time. Physics is the pattern of that recreation, but quantum mechanics teaches us that we can not predict what will happen exactly. The universe can surprise us by what it becomes. As part of that universe, we can surprise ourselves! I ask Christians this, if God has created intelligent life in many places, then if God is merciful, God must have offered salvation from sin there too, because any sufficiently intelligent creative creature sins, that is does evil things, if not intentionally, then because they don't understand the consequences of their actions, or there is no path of action that doesn't do harm. So... I ask, what was the Sermon on the Mount there? But it is sort of a tease, a way to try to make that person think on a bigger scale.

The physicist Fermi asked "where are they?", to mean, if there is technological life on planets around other stars, wouldn't we have visitors? My answer is the distances are so great, there is no practical way to make the journey, but the science fiction writers think otherwise!

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds