fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Learning experience

Teach fingering to toddler

More
27 Feb 2015 08:27 #18183 by telu
Replied by telu on topic Teach fingering to toddler
I have a daughter exactly the same age, and with similar problems. While she recognises all the flashcard notes, and loves listening to the do-re-mi song over and over again, it is really hard to have her concentrate on the piano/keyboard itself. She obviously is still in the exploration state and merely slams the keyboard with her fingers. So far, "Can you show me Do?" and similar things shown in the videos have not been successful. She isn't interested in arranging the flashcards either, simply telling me that it's "not funny".

While she is fascinated by Mr. Oops and the spider in the Guess Key game, she won't press the corresponding keys when the notes fall.

Any advice or maybe similiar experiences? Will my daughter become interested in the piano if she sits on my lap while I play, or something like that?

I have to add that she is otherwise a smart girl. Brillkids' products have had a positive influence on her, and she reads very well, for instance. So I don't know what could be wrong. Maybe I should just give it a few months and hope for improvement?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2015 13:08 #18184 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Teach fingering to toddler

telu wrote: I have a daughter exactly the same age, and with similar problems. While she recognises all the flashcard notes, and loves listening to the do-re-mi song over and over again, it is really hard to have her concentrate on the piano/keyboard itself. She obviously is still in the exploration state and merely slams the keyboard with her fingers. So far, "Can you show me Do?" and similar things shown in the videos have not been successful. She isn't interested in arranging the flashcards either, simply telling me that it's "not funny".

While she is fascinated by Mr. Oops and the spider in the Guess Key game, she won't press the corresponding keys when the notes fall.

Any advice or maybe similiar experiences? Will my daughter become interested in the piano if she sits on my lap while I play, or something like that?

I have to add that she is otherwise a smart girl. Brillkids' products have had a positive influence on her, and she reads very well, for instance. So I don't know what could be wrong. Maybe I should just give it a few months and hope for improvement?

Hello, telu!
Nothing is wrong indeed!
The very first stage of learning anything I call 'autistic' stage. What is it mean? The problem with autism is that all the perception channels work on the 'high volume' and one can't choose what channel should be prioritize.
For example, remember your own experience: your first day in school. EVERYTHING is so exciting: dress of the teacher, her smell, voice. You are so overwhelmed that can't focus on what is being just said.
All the learners have this stage. Toddlers, of cause, are not an exception.
Therefore we developed some tricks to bring their attention to the paths that will lead to the education.
How we do that?
We use 'music money'. Did you have a chance to listen to our webinar? Find it here: pianolearningsoftware.com/pages/webinar_1
You will find a lot of tricks about working with toddlers here also: www.softmozart.com/forum/20-hellene-hine...rite-a-new-book.html
Our professionals also came up with different ways of limiting visual stimulation like this:
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.442489...2883088098340&type=3

We are trying to avoid overwhelming visual stimulations

Let me know, if it helps!

Back to the Mozart

More
23 Jun 2015 15:03 #20141 by telu
Now, at last, things have started rolling! A few weeks ago, my daughter all of a sudden started playing Ode to Joy! This was the first piece she ever played, and I filmed it. (I will start a progress diary and upload the movie later on.) Ironically, she hated Mr. Oops, playing the Guess key game, and basically all other things proposed by you in the curriculum. But then I found out that she really loved the do-re-mi song from "Sound of Music". By now, she must have listened to it 300 times or so! Out of this, i.e. with the help of Julie Andrews, I finally managed to have her play the piano - and she was sure to start with her papa's favourite musical piece (except for Carmina Burana)! :)

By now, she is already playing the other pieces (Hot cross buns, French song etc.) quite well, but a new problem has appeared: the very topic of this thread. I am having the same problem as the thread starter here. During the last few weeks I must have tried everything in order to have her play with at least three fingers, but in vain. Showing her myself, trying to direct her fingers, showing your videos...nothing works. Even when I bribe her with ice cream she starts to cry when I ask her to play with three fingers. So what are parents having this problem supposed to do? As far as I understand, you are telling us that the problem will pass with age, as she enters a new stage in her development? But when exactly will this happen? Are we supposed to let her play Ode to joy, Hot cross buns and French song with her index finger every night for the next six months, or what?

In other words: Where am I supposed to go from here? How can I break this deadlock?

More
25 Jun 2015 08:46 - 25 Jun 2015 08:47 #20169 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Teach fingering to toddler
Did you read this material? www.softmozart.com/forum/20-hellene-hine...rite-a-new-book.html
I have a section there dedicated to the fingering and gradual process of introducing them based on the figures of the performance.

Back to the Mozart
Last edit: 25 Jun 2015 08:47 by hellene.

More
26 Jun 2015 15:33 #20174 by OurFamily
Thank you for the question, this is encouraging as we start teaching with a 2.5 year old. He loves learning but has a hard time making all the connections just yet:)

More
30 Aug 2015 14:22 #20693 by telu
One step forward and two steps back for me at the moment... :( My daughter was playing Hot Cross Buns, French Song and Ode to Joy very well with her index finger when I wanted her to start playing with at least three. Then, however, she refused to let us hold her little fingers and show her how to play correctly, and she is still strongly refusing this, so I have no idea what to do. She starts yelling hysterically and jumps off the chair if we try this, and she is not interested in watching us play correctly with all fingers either. I really don't understand how people manage to have two and three year olds play the piano since toddlers of this age are not only obstinate but also in the "Do myself!"-stage of development. Is there any magic formula? Or just genetics?

What is much worse, ironically, is that she actually seems to listen to me and my wife when we tell her to play with more than one finger, but then she tends to mess everything up, playing with all fingers randomly and even with both hands on treble staff if we press the "R" button in Gentle Piano.

I saw this video that someone had published on the forum:
. Is it possible to download those hands from somewhere or do you have to make them yourself?

Some extra help would also be appreciated, because I really don't know what to do any longer. We try to use Soft Mozart with her every day, but this doesn't seem do help. And bribes/rewards...yes, they are plentiful!

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds