fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

And We're Back ... Again! J: 41 mo; K: 20 mo

More
10 Feb 2013 09:47 #8287 by Mandabplus3
:cheer: wonderful! :cheer:
Great diary! Full of interesting clips and information, both informative and raw on the goals and feelings. I love it!
Yes Owen is amazing :) it's Ok to feed the spiders sometimes we don't want them all to starve now! ;)
Keep it up a little bit every day will get you wonderful results!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2013 08:18 #8301 by QueRiquita
Another long day, so here's a quick recap (so far as I can recall) before I call it a night :side:

Joey
Friday: I know we played, but now I can't remember how it went. I'll look through the pics/vids, which I have yet to post. I'll stick them online and update this thread. :-/ The point - he played :-) Oh, and I recall that we tried stickers on his fingers. They worked, but he didn't like them, so he took them off for his second attempt. I think this was also when I started telling him that he had to collect coins (playing the fruit lines and alphabet note games) to get me flowers (practicing his pieces). Also, I made and posted this video to help Kaelie (and Joey).

Surprisingly, she still loves her solfege circle (and uses it while listening to the video now), probably because we tap on it and that makes it more interactive and exciting. The only thing is that I don't have the notes on the line to make the next 6 videos. Hellene, do you think you (or anyone) could get me the notes that I need to do the next tracks? I thought about using the lower notes, but then it wouldn't be accurate, right?

Saturday: Didn't play - long day for me.

Sunday: Morning Session with the hope of an evening session too. Didn't happen. Such a long day. The good news is that this time, instead of stickers, I just put markers on his fingers. He was really intrigued by the whole thing, and they worked! For the second attempt at Ode, he wanted to play his own way, though. So, I told him that his colored fingers were the babies and the stickers were the moms, and the babies had to be with their mommies. It worked pretty well; I was surprised. The only thing was that in his always-push-the-limits sort of way, he then opted to play his left hand fingers with their corresponding right hand notes. So! Tomorrow, assuming he's still interested in the story we've concocted, I'll tell him that the moms are on the right (green) side and the dads are on the left (brown) side, and we'll go from there. I colored both thumbs red for Do and just said that the Do mom has two babies. Of course, this meant that he wanted to play them together lol so I think tomorrow I'll tell him something about only being able to take one at a time. I dunno, we'll figure it out. I'm just so excited that he made such an effort to match the proper fingers to their corresponding keys! Yes, it slowed his timing and precision considerably, but I'd rather him get the hang of it this way now and then build up his speed and accuracy, then get a song 'perfect' and establish bad form.

What do you think? Should I reverse my thinking and just get him to play quickly and accurately, regardless of HOW he is playing; or should I continue to foster proper fingering, so long as it isn't hindering his interest?
The following user(s) said Thank You: the Moon

More
11 Feb 2013 17:04 #8305 by TeachingMyToddlers
Thank you both for your words about Owen. I found the markers to be the most effective thing so far. Hellene needs to come up with some do-re-me temporary tattoos of solfege pictures. ;) I still use colors with Lily every now and then when she gets stuck using an incorrect finger repeatedly, even if I just mark one or two colors so she will remember to play a specific part note with a certain finger and by default the rest fall into place.

I like your song video and look forward to seeing the rest.

More
11 Feb 2013 20:58 #8313 by hellene
Hi, Marlita!

Thank you very much for your posts!
I am going to divide them to be able to answer your questions and do my follow up properly.

QueRiquita wrote: Another long day, so here's a quick recap (so far as I can recall) before I call it a night :side:

Joey
Friday: I know we played, but now I can't remember how it went. I'll look through the pics/vids, which I have yet to post. I'll stick them online and update this thread. :-/ The point - he played :-) Oh, and I recall that we tried stickers on his fingers. They worked, but he didn't like them, so he took them off for his second attempt. I think this was also when I started telling him that he had to collect coins (playing the fruit lines and alphabet note games) to get me flowers (practicing his pieces). Also, I made and posted this video to help Kaelie (and Joey).

This video is very good and helpful. You did a wonderful job on making it! May I suggest to post it in our SHARE section and I will post it in our TEACHING VIDEOS section.

Surprisingly, she still loves her solfege circle (and uses it while listening to the video now), probably because we tap on it and that makes it more interactive and exciting. The only thing is that I don't have the notes on the line to make the next 6 videos. Hellene, do you think you (or anyone) could get me the notes that I need to do the next tracks? I thought about using the lower notes, but then it wouldn't be accurate, right?

I think, I would ask my helpers to develop it. It seems like I need a clone myself (24 / 7 is not enough for me)

Andrea? :blink:

Back to the Mozart

More
11 Feb 2013 21:18 #8315 by hellene
Here is more comments on your post below:

QueRiquita wrote:
Sunday: Morning Session with the hope of an evening session too. Didn't happen. Such a long day. The good news is that this time, instead of stickers, I just put markers on his fingers. He was really intrigued by the whole thing, and they worked! For the second attempt at Ode, he wanted to play his own way, though. So, I told him that his colored fingers were the babies and the stickers were the moms, and the babies had to be with their mommies. It worked pretty well; I was surprised. The only thing was that in his always-push-the-limits sort of way, he then opted to play his left hand fingers with their corresponding right hand notes.

I would love to see one of your sessions. Let's get together one Sunday, if possible!

So! Tomorrow, assuming he's still interested in the story we've concocted, I'll tell him that the moms are on the right (green) side and the dads are on the left (brown) side, and we'll go from there.

Interesting concept! I usually tells them that there are trunk and crown of a tree. :)

I colored both thumbs red for Do and just said that the Do mom has two babies. Of course, this meant that he wanted to play them together lol so I think tomorrow I'll tell him something about only being able to take one at a time.

I dunno, we'll figure it out. I'm just so excited that he made such an effort to match the proper fingers to their corresponding keys! Yes, it slowed his timing and precision considerably, but I'd rather him get the hang of it this way now and then build up his speed and accuracy, then get a song 'perfect' and establish bad form.

You are absolutely right! The accuracy comes first and then we are working on speed.

What do you think? Should I reverse my thinking and just get him to play quickly and accurately, regardless of HOW he is playing; or should I continue to foster proper fingering, so long as it isn't hindering his interest?

I use a little different approach.
I do not color the keys in different colors, but place green and brown stripes. When they build initial eye/hand coordination, they have to grasp only icons on the keys and on the computer screen.
At this point I do not suggest any fingers, but watching the numbers on the right and left part of the monitor.

If the number on the right much greater of the number on the very left, it means that the eye/hand coordination is getting built and the child simply has no room to think about fingers.

Finally, when the time figure is getting closer to amount of correct notes played, the child is ready to the next level - suggestions about fingers.

I think, I wrote something about it here: www.softmozart.com/forum/20-hellene-hine...rite-a-new-book.html

If not, please, let me know! It would help me to plan writing an article about it.

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: the Moon

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds