fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Welcome to the SoftMozart forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Second chance student

More
14 Mar 2018 14:58 #29030 by DianaA
Second chance student was created by DianaA
My name is Diana and I just downloaded the monthly subscription program. I am 39 years old and started piano lessons at the age of 8. Despite a love of music and a strong desire to learn, traditional instruction never made sense to me. After struggling through years of lessons and never developing the ability to play without drilling and memorization, I gave up with considerable regret and disappointment. I am starting again as an adult with Soft Mozart in hope of learning a more intuitive approach to the instrument and developing the ability to play piano for my own enjoyment.

I would be interested in chatting with other adult students--particularly those who have had some training in music already--about their experiences navigating the SM curriculum. I'm still working on getting the keyboard and computer properly connected, but am looking forward to getting started!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2018 09:59 #29040 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Second chance student
Welcome!

DianaA wrote: My name is Diana and I just downloaded the monthly subscription program.

Are you planning to follow our lesson plans or want to go on your own?
www.softmozart.com/forum/63-lesson-plans...year-old-and-up.html
I would like to see your video of playing anything to see your hands and be able to recommend the best route.

I am 39 years old and started piano lessons at the age of 8. Despite a love of music and a strong desire to learn, traditional instruction never made sense to me.

There are 99% of population that can feel your pain ;)

After struggling through years of lessons and never developing the ability to play without drilling and memorization, I gave up with considerable regret and disappointment. I am starting again as an adult with Soft Mozart in hope of learning a more intuitive approach to the instrument and developing the ability to play piano for my own enjoyment.

Keep in mind that interaction is the key to your success. Share your experience and ask questions. I am here to help!

I would be interested in chatting with other adult students--particularly those who have had some training in music already--about their experiences navigating the SM curriculum. I'm still working on getting the keyboard and computer properly connected, but am looking forward to getting started!

Our students more active during the recital time. Our next recital will be from May 15 to June 15
I think, you have plenty of time to learn how to play couple of piano pieces. What do you think?

Back to the Mozart

More
16 Mar 2018 13:51 #29047 by DianaA
Replied by DianaA on topic Second chance student
I would like your advice regarding lesson plans. As I mentioned, my primary handicap is sight reading (I've never been able to get past the Every-Good-Boy-Does-Fine system). I learned to survive my lessons through memorization.

I started working with the Gentle Piano program on Wednesday, and it seems like the vertical staff will be the most useful tool for breaking bad habits. That said, the introductory-level pieces and familiar songs pose a problem in that once I recognize the tune I instinctively lose focus on the notation and go back to playing by ear!

I didn't mention it before, but it's worth noting that I spent three semesters at University as a voice major and received some excellent training in music theory. I'm quite comfortable reading a single vocal line using Solfege. The difficulty with piano is the coordination of both hands on the keyboard while following multiple staves of notation.

I will work on making a video for you this weekend, and will follow whatever course of training you recommend. Many thanks!

More
19 Mar 2018 19:18 #29066 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Second chance student
Hello, Diana!

DianaA wrote: I would like your advice regarding lesson plans. As I mentioned, my primary handicap is sight reading (I've never been able to get past the Every-Good-Boy-Does-Fine system). I learned to survive my lessons through memorization.

Yes, this is common problem of music education. However, please, note: all the components of lesson plans are equally important to achieve your goal. They are all aimed towards sight-reading!

I started working with the Gentle Piano program on Wednesday, and it seems like the vertical staff will be the most useful tool for breaking bad habits. That said, the introductory-level pieces and familiar songs pose a problem in that once I recognize the tune I instinctively lose focus on the notation and go back to playing by ear!

I would suggest to follow this simple rule in your training. Use mode 1 and 3 in piano pieces that are challenging for your coordination and piano technique. Use 2, 4, 5 and 6 for sight-reading. Choose Albums from 0 level and up one by one (not 1 song a day! 10-20!) and sight-read using R, L and P. If easy, play P. If hard, L. Everything 2 times in a row to see improvement in score. Don't master any song! Just go-go-go

However, for the May recital choose something nice to play, if you want to participate (it is a lot of fun!)

I didn't mention it before, but it's worth noting that I spent three semesters at University as a voice major and received some excellent training in music theory. I'm quite comfortable reading a single vocal line using Solfege. The difficulty with piano is the coordination of both hands on the keyboard while following multiple staves of notation.

Yes. But you are in the right place now. You see clearly that to play both clefs is not as hard, right?

I will work on making a video for you this weekend, and will follow whatever course of training you recommend. Many thanks!

Wonderful! I will be able to give you some suggestions about choosing a piano piece to master. Can't wait to see your video.

Back to the Mozart

More
23 Mar 2018 19:00 - 23 Mar 2018 19:02 #29093 by davidsaroff
Replied by davidsaroff on topic Second chance student
Diana,

I'm a "second chance" piano student too.

I took piano at about age 11, but was frustrated by it for a few reasons. Hellene has solved one, that the music notation is irrational. Another Hellene has solved is the prompt feedback, in soft piano the software waits for you to get the right key stroke. Another frustration at that time was not knowing how the music in the method books should sound.

I liked the classical music my father played on his phonograph, and could whistle or sing the themes, but that is not what was in the method books. It seemed just opposite, they wanted us to learn to play unknown music from the page, not what we heard in our heads. I didn't want to become a musician who could sight read anything, I wanted to play the music I loved, or simplified passages from it.

In an age before electronic recording, distribution and reproduction of music, there was a need for many people who could play anything sight reading. But that age has passed. People who want to play, want to play for themselves and their friends. But mostly to better appreciate the music by playing it themselves. This is what Hellene is helping us do.

So welcome. Hellene has put a lot of music in the soft piano library, so you should be able to find things that you know and like. The software will allow you to work on just the measures and hand you wish, slowed down. She added the Bach Inventions just recently, after I asked for Bach's Little Fugue in G Minor BWV 578.

Please explore the library, find things that you love to hear, that you put on to hear, or hear in your memory, and work on those. Hellene is right, as we learn how to sight read we will have that wonderful tool available so we can look up the sheet music for things we like and have that to help us learn them, but she allows us to learn to sight read working on music we care about, and that is the great thing. Thanks Hellene!

Please let me know how you are doing, and perhaps we can encourage each other.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2018 19:02 by davidsaroff.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds