fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Welcome to the SoftMozart forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Hi from Los Angeles

More
18 Feb 2016 17:02 #22121 by eddie_p_y
Hi, I'm a homeschooling mom of a bright 6 year old who loves music. He's been trying out the Guess Key for 3 minutes or so and Gentle Piano games several times a week and already, he's able to play Hot Cross Buns and The French Song with two hands. I'm starting him on Prep Level C but I suspect we'll get through it much more quickly than indicated in the lesson plan. Wondering if you have any tips for how to create our progress diary (is there a good format for it, what are we keeping track of exactly and how does one get a diploma?). Also, wondering if how you go about doing sightreading (how often do you do it?). Thanks very much for the support. It's a wonderful way to learn!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2016 12:26 #22124 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Hi from Los Angeles
Welcome on board!

eddie_p_y wrote: Hi, I'm a homeschooling mom of a bright 6 year old who loves music. He's been trying out the Guess Key for 3 minutes or so and Gentle Piano games several times a week and already, he's able to play Hot Cross Buns and The French Song with two hands. I'm starting him on Prep Level C but I suspect we'll get through it much more quickly than indicated in the lesson plan.

The lesson plans are for other subjects - not just piano performance. For the piano we will choose more advance piano pieces. There are many layers for each activity and if you will share your progress, I will be able to help you to choose the right direction.

Wondering if you have any tips for how to create our progress diary (is there a good format for it, what are we keeping track of exactly and how does one get a diploma?).

Yes, Check, for example the diaries of Eliana, Ariana and Liliana in our progress diaries section. They are very precise.

Also, wondering if how you go about doing sightreading (how often do you do it?). Thanks very much for the support. It's a wonderful way to learn!

It depands of your chilld's personal needs. For example, if he develops his memory, fine motor skills and coordination fast, there is a chance that he will memorize piano pieces on the fly and will just pretend that he is reading them. In this case I would give him more for sight-reading to keep his eye-sight busy reading music notes without memorizing them. Otherwise, he will not be able to develop sight-reading as well as his piano technique. If his coordination and fine motor skills need improvement, he has to focus on this first. There are more to say. The bottom line is: using the same tools and the same piano pieces from the beginning (Introductory songs) we are able to determine early what is your son's strongest points and rely on them to build the education.

Back to the Mozart

More
19 Feb 2016 22:37 #22126 by eddie_p_y
Replied by eddie_p_y on topic Hi from Los Angeles
Hi Hellene,

Thank you so much for the helpful information. I'll go ahead and start the progress diaries (I think I have an idea of what I need to do) and you or the other teachers will help me move up in levels/activities as needed, right? The explanation of the sight-reading was very helpful to me. I notice that people seem to only post after they've completed the segment. Is that something I should wait to do when he's got segment 1 down perfectly or should I just post videos and pictures of where he is now after two weeks?

More
20 Feb 2016 12:44 #22130 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic Hi from Los Angeles

eddie_p_y wrote: Hi Hellene,

Thank you so much for the helpful information. I'll go ahead and start the progress diaries (I think I have an idea of what I need to do) and you or the other teachers will help me move up in levels/activities as needed, right?

Exactly!

The explanation of the sight-reading was very helpful to me. I notice that people seem to only post after they've completed the segment. Is that something I should wait to do when he's got segment 1 down perfectly or should I just post videos and pictures of where he is now after two weeks?

Consider posting as having a 'piano lesson': if you want to receive feed back asap, post asap. At the beginning you need more support. The more accustomed with method you will become, the less interaction you will need in the future.

Back to the Mozart

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds